Aluminium bodied GT4

That may have been a good (safe) thing? tread carefully as you approach the 6000rpm mark is all I can say. Even on a fully balanced/blueprinted engine. You really do not want that T shirt!

Quite right Clive. If this engine goes the same way as the first I shall throw in the towel and fit a Zetec. In your opinion, are the rods the weak link? Perhaps I should have had an all steel engine or perhaps gone 1300. But the die is cast and we'll see how it works out. 

I doubt it is the rods, it seems to be the mere fact the crank throw is too great.

There are some things to be careful about, mostly bearing quality and careful balance and build, all of which you have covered. But ultimately if you use really decent oil and are careful with the revs you have a fighting chance!

I doubt it is the rods, it seems to be the mere fact the crank throw is too great.

There are some things to be careful about, mostly bearing quality and careful balance and build, all of which you have covered. But ultimately if you use really decent oil and are careful with the revs you have a fighting chance!

That's good to know Clive. I have no doubt about the quality of the build this time but I am going to heed your warning. Any recommendations on where to source a rev limiter?

no just 51 years at Commer Cars he was there when a V2 blew the brand new canteen to bits ,, guess the aimer got the sack    missed london by 30 miles 

Blimey Pete, that was a close call.  Isn't it nice that back in those days a job was for life. People used the buses, walked or cycled to work and the family all lived close by. Not all bad was it?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your lovely comments; excellent. When he called last evening to say it was finished I asked the painter if he was pleased with it and he said yes but you know John, you can't make a rat out of a mouse or a silk purse out of a sow's ear. But I've done my best! He is absolutely right of course. There are lots of flaws which he couldn't cover up but I have always wanted usable, presentable and I think he's delivered that.

I'm collecting it tomorrow and it will be so nice to have it back in the workshop and have something to get on with.

Great excitement today. The car is now back in my workshop and I've made a very good start in putting it back together. There was a lot of anguishing about whether to paint or not and what colour it should be but any doubts I may have had have been completely blown away with the result. Shut lines are hugely improved and I really like the way the rear three quarter panels flow into each other. The whole car has been taken to another level and looks much more finished. Colour is very subjective and one man's meat is another's poison. I had expected the car to be painted in the Triumph paint code 126 but by a glitch in communication it has been done in 166. Both colours are French Blue but quite a big difference. Fortunately, gallery_67_25_17800.jpggallery_67_25_58695.jpggallery_67_25_39225.jpg I much prefer the colour he has done it in which came as a big relief to the painter!

With no deadlines to meet, I've been  putting the car back together at quite a leisurely pace. Everything is clean and because it has been assembled before it all fits. This is one of the most enjoyable parts of the build. I spent a bit of time when I took it apart to bag up and label all the nuts and bolts and I'm reaping the benefit now. It's all coming together very nicely. A couple more pictures. Strange how the colour changes depending on natural light or flash.gallery_67_25_11127.jpggallery_67_25_9207.jpggallery_67_25_40352.jpg

• Like 4

Things are still moving along well with the engine now plumbed and filled with coolant. The new throttle linkage gave me a bit of a clearance problem cable to bonnet but I managed to overcome this. 

The seats are now ready to refit once the carpet and seat belts are back in the car. They are finished in Mercedes leather courtesy of Owen at Park Lane Classics and they look absolutely splendid.gallery_67_25_94181.jpggallery_67_25_28930.jpg

• Like 1

Much to my relief the electrics have all been reinstated and work. The engine turns over on the starter and the oil pump primed almost immediately. So very good progress. Over the next two weeks I'll be refitting the interior and the polycarbonate windows once they have arrived.gallery_67_25_25608.jpggallery_67_25_53241.jpggallery_67_25_47883.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

With the mechanical and electrical sides of the car now complete I've turned my attention to reinstalling the interior which is turning out to be a much more lengthy job than I was expecting. Not helped by dropping a 3mm Allen key down below the petrol tank. This would not have been so bad but a second followed in the same way. So it does look as if the tank is going to come out to retrieve them. But on the plus side the seats are in together with the three quarter panels and the carpets. Messrs Chapman & Cliff have made a really nice job of the dashboard and I particularly like the way they have rebated the apertures for the instruments. Here are a few photos which bring things up to date.gallery_67_25_100257.jpggallery_67_25_41946.jpggallery_67_25_32415.jpggallery_67_25_89689.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just by way of an update, it's very good news on the engine front. I collected the car from the builder after he'd set it up on the rolling road and drove it home. The difference is phenomenal. Power comes in from pull away and is delivered smoothly right through the rev range. It's been a bit of a rough road to get to this point but it does look as if at last I've got the kind of performance I was hoping for. So we're pretty much there now with the project with just a few minor jobs to do. These include fitting the Canley lightweight alloy rear wishbones, M12 studs to the rear hubs and the Minilites.

It has been an interesting project and I am really pleased with the result. I hope that the car will provide a lot of enjoyment during this Summer and along the way I do hope that at the various Events I'll be able to meet many of you who have been really supportive and encouraging throughout the highs and lows that accompany any ambitious project. Thank you all.

Kind regards

John

THE ENDgallery_67_25_61782.jpggallery_67_25_103516.jpggallery_67_25_32258.jpggallery_67_25_64406.jpg

• Like 6

Hello John.

What a beautiful car and very well done.

Thank you for sharing the rebuild and still taking time out to offer advice where it was required.

Did you use Templar Performance to get your rear screen done ?? I know you mentioned you were looking at them to do the job. I have a vested interest as I'm looking to get my Alpine rear screen replaced.

Best wishes.

Richard.

Hello John.

What a beautiful car and very well done.

Thank you for sharing the rebuild and still taking time out to offer advice where it was required.

Did you use Templar Performance to get your rear screen done ?? I know you mentioned you were looking at them to do the job. I have a vested interest as I'm looking to get my Alpine rear screen replaced.

Best wishes.

Richard.

Richard, thank you very much for your very kind words. Yes I did get Mike at Templar Performance to make and supply the windows and what a good job he's made of them. I'm really pleased and they weigh nearly nothing. The rear window was moulded to the exact shape and size as the original and fitted perfectly. I'm sure yours will be the same. Please let me know how you get on.

Kind regards

John