Importing a classic

euan douglas

What is the procedure for registering an imported classic into the UK?  Specifically say I wanted to get one from Eire how would I:

- register it

- get an age related registration number

- get it registered as Historic (if applicable)

Just thinking at the moment and if it is too much of a hassle then I'd look for something in the UK!

Thanks for any thoughts.

Euan

2 UK GOV sites below:- They have altered the importation rules a bit since I imported my R-V from North Carolina In the late 90`s. But people are still bringing in "dry" State US vehicles, IE California and Arizona etc; Eire, might well be even simpler?. I "found" a 60`s Mustang in New Mexico circa 2013. But SWMBO vetoed It.😭.

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/registering-an-imported-vehicle

And

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/new-registrations

Pete

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

Eire, might well be even simpler?.

Pre Brexit importing was fairly simple, even though paperwork could be a bit long winded, plus no taxes etc on a classic.

Post Brexit, no doubt more complex in general BUT there might be special arrangement between the these two zones. You need to look very carefully at the latest updates.

While there is a "non-tariff" agreement between the EU and its former member you do have to pay VAT now there is paperwork involved in that.

For importing a car I don't know the rules but for other shipments from Blighty I have seen things come through sans added cost and 50GBP valued packages cost nearly as much in "handling fees" plus VAT (you have to pay VAT on the item AND all the paperwork etc...)...

So it is doable but more hassle and it takes longer so most of us here try to source within the EU as much as possible.

The few dealings I have had post Brexit though the seller in the UK bent over backwards to be as upfront as possible with the cost and to make it as smooth as possible. One must do what one must do and all that... Most of them have recovered from the broken vertebrae now... 🙂

12 hours ago, euan douglas said:

What is the procedure for registering an imported classic into the UK?  Specifically say I wanted to get one from Eire how would I:

- register it

- get an age related registration number

- get it registered as Historic (if applicable)

Just thinking at the moment and if it is too much of a hassle then I'd look for something in the UK!

Thanks for any thoughts.

Euan

The most important thing is to confirm the date of manufacture (or maybe first registration if the UK authorities will accept that)

BMIHT can confirm any detail that's vague or missing from the V5. If it's a UK-manufactured vehicle or one that has been previously registered in the UK (Triumph?) then it's being reimported to the original country of manufacture, so they'll have the build details on record for most cars of the period. The historic classification will automatically follow once the build date is confirmed however you need to check how a new number will be issued - will they allow an age-related historic number, or merely give you a modern plate? I'm not exactly sure how you arrange that.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

BMIHT can confirm any detail that's vague or missing from the V5

Not always the case, a friend down the road has rebuilt a Mini Clubman to re-live his misspent youth. He wrote off to BMIHT who told him there's a block of numbers missing in their records sadly including his motor.

Doug

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Not always the case, a friend down the road has rebuilt a Mini Clubman to re-live his misspent youth. He wrote off to BMIHT who told him there's a block of numbers missing in their records sadly including his motor.

Doug

Ok so let's hope it's not a Mini Clubman then. :)

9 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

I know! What possessed him?!! :o An original mini, a woody, yes, but a Crudman?!!

Doug  

I quite like them, a bit unusual. I did manage to break a brown one back in the early 1980s by wiring in a cassette player incorrectly; when the driver turned on the radio, the entire car ground to a halt. I don't think she was impressed...

21 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

I know! What possessed him?!! :o An original mini, a woody, yes, but a Crudman?!!

Doug  

I've always liked the Clubman. Couple of friends had them when we were teenagers, including one with a 1275 GT, which was great fun. However, I think the main reason for liking them is that they were imprinted on my mind via my late 70's / early 80's Scalextric 300 set...

Gully

• Like 1

For a couple of years back in the 2000`s I had possession of a genuine (we checked the Vin) 1275 cooper. (66 -D Reg). Unfortunately, a previous owner had blown the engine big time and subsequently grafted a 1300 engine from a much later car in. So the value was really lost. However it went like "stink", a bit of a "rocket Sled on rails". Come MOT time if failed, needing welding, so I sold it on to a guy who wanted to restore it. But where he was going to get a Genuine Cooper Engine I don`t know!.

Pete

8 hours ago, euan douglas said:

Thanks for the replies.  Interesting to read the thread drifts!   Having looked at the DVLA site, I rather think a UK car is the safest bet and least hassle.

Euan

On balance I would agree. The only real benefit from re-importing would be the normal absence of the dreaded "rot" in vehicles from "dry" area`s. My prime reason for disposing of the Mini, (see my last "thread drift").

Pete

I had to laugh a while back when the Irish decided they had had enough of the St Pats' Day caricature of red hair and drink-till-you-drop image, and the government in Dublin was trying to rebrand Ireland as having other things than Guinness and whiskey. I reckon it's a bit late, now...

2 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I had to laugh a while back when the Irish decided they had had enough of the St Pats' Day caricature of red hair and drink-till-you-drop image, and the government in Dublin was trying to rebrand Ireland as having other things than Guinness and whiskey. I reckon it's a bit late, now...

A Bit like the Tennessee County where Jack Daniels is made being Dry?. The nearest "outlet" being just over the county line.

Pete

• Haha 1