Crossed Flags

Pdv

I purchased a crossed flag badge, only one as that was all they had in stock (more due in I am told).

All the holes in the rear wings appear to be original, but the badge pins do not relate to the holes.

Has anyone purchased new badges recently and experienced this, or does anyone have original badges and could post the dimensions.

I also remember posts a while back that said that the  quality  of replacement badges  were not that good, well I have to say that the quality of this one is really good.

Thanks 

Steve

Check that the holes you're looking at are for flags and not the long metal strip. One of my spare tubs has holes for both, and they do differ! I'll be in the garage tomorrow before lunchtime and will photograph.

I fitted these originals a month or so ago, nervewracking drilling a hole through the wing but they fitted first time.

DSCF2059.jpg.f68bbc4e778c70f8f291fd0c00f4ea86.jpg

Hi Colin,

That is where the holes are where your badges are. 

At the end of the trim strip is what is left of a metal pin ie a small piece of rusty metal. 

So as you look at the  rear of  the wing there are three holes  two near each other and one at the end of the trim strip.

It also the same on the other side.

Steve 

Tape might be an idea... I drilled one side of the white convertible and fitted the flags but have held off on the other as the fuel tank is somewhere about there, behind the wing... just in case! I'll do it during the strip-down.

I've been out to the garage and taken a few photos, plus rough measurements. For my own car I took an A4 rubbing of the rear wing area of a spare tub and lined it up with the same edges on the complete convertible.

This photo, the dark green, is a saloon tub, possibly Vitesse as the metal strip went right to the end. Two large holes in line with the strip mountings.

82EE095B-FF7D-4998-ABC4-492A6D80444E_1_105_c.jpg.6537aff3928b4ffd9716aebd952641d0.jpg

This one is an early convertible tub which was drilled for both... no idea why. The flag holes are the smaller / lower ones.

330AC90B-357B-4985-9790-B3524A588098_1_105_c.jpg.73df56c49d4978a9a6ae1d944ab846fc.jpg

Here's the other side. Again I suspect Vitesse as it had the short strip after the fuel filler.

446A0242-5C77-47FF-B82F-AA5809F155F3_1_105_c.jpg.b0c12cff10c245fcf52634692d9cce10.jpg

I took approximate measurements from that tub in the bottom photo; the frontmost hole is six inches from the extreme outer edge of the rear wing flange, and approximately three inches from the top point of the wing using a flexible tape measure curved down the wing; the rearmost one is 2.5 inches and again very close to exactly three inches down. This is with the chrome horseshoe trim removed. The wing is not completely horizontal so using the same three inch drop the flags are slightly angled upwards towards the front of the car, but only by 1/16 inch if even that. 

Hope this helps; let me know if you need any other data.

this says its ok for low bake 

Pete

Weather resistant,waterproof
Suitable for low bake refinishing.
A high strength adhesive, firm and flexible bond to plastic trims, car badges and number plates.
The tape can also be used around the house or anywhere else where you need strong double sided tape.
Condition:Brand new
Material: PE,Polyethylene foam
Color: Black and Green
size: 1mm*25mm*10m
Package Included:
1 X Double-sided Tape
e: Light shooting and different displays may cause the color of the item in the picture a little different from the real thing. The measurement allowed error is +/- 1-3cm.

image.png

39 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Pete - Looks great...until you need to remove it.

If it`s similar to what I had, on the motorhome. A very sharp decorators scraper to cut the tape, and Xylene or Toluene will shift it?.👍 Even maybe brake cleaner?.

Pete

Thanks for the replies, I do not want to cut one of the pins off and use adhesive, and will drill another hole, but which hole do I use the one nearest the rear of the wing or the one nearest the front.

I have two Heralds the other one was sold as a 13/60 but had 1200 bits and no holes in the wing for the badges, so unfortunately not  much help for comparisons.

I will hope for someone with an original badge to let me know the  measurement.

Thanks

Steve 

13 hours ago, Pdv said:

Thanks for the replies, I do not want to cut one of the pins off and use adhesive, and will drill another hole, but which hole do I use the one nearest the rear of the wing or the one nearest the front.

I've dug out two flags, one new and one original, to show the position of the pins; they're out by maybe 1mm at most.

IMG_1239.thumb.jpg.5feda581dbe734e743873c292af538e5.jpg

if it was me I'd draw a line along the extreme top edge of the rear wing, keeping as straight to the exact top as possible; it's curved so getting it exact takes a straight edge. Then at numerous points along that line, drop down three inches along the curve of the wing; I used a flexible tape measure when measuring the holes for the earlier photos, and mark the three inch drop. If you join up these lower points you'll have a horizontal line running along where the flag pins need to be. That is the drop downwards; you then need to measure the distance inwards.

Rearmost hole along the line on mine is 2.5 inches in from the outer edge of the rear wing seam, inner is six inches. That's 3.5 inches between the two lugs of the badge. The outer edge of the rearmost flag - not the pin but the flag point itself - is 1 inch exactly inwards from the silver horseshoe trim if that's still fitted, or the edge of the rear wing, when the badge is on the car.

So: to me the rearmost hole would be easiest; going by the measurements I've just been out and confirmed this morning, three inches down from the wing top centre, 2.5 inches in from the extreme outer edge horizontally along the three inch line, mark that position then, in case your fixing pins are incorrectly placed, line up the flag along the horizontal line and slide it inwards until the rear edge is one inch off the silver trim, and mark. Compare the two; on mine they're both spot on so I know where to drill.

With the rear lug in place the badge can swivel on that point until the front lug hits the three-inch horizontal line, mark and drill. This allows for the slight upward tilt towards the front. I've tried to edit a photo to show the measurements.

IMG_1236.thumb.jpeg.573958a5749c2d2dc240f22f67cdd1f8.jpeg

Hi Colin,

Thanks, I will measure the holes in the wing and see the difference.

I am  convinced that the holes are original and that it is a case of something manufactured in 1969 and now 2021.

So I will keep the rear hole and dril a new one forward of that.

Thanks 

Steve