13/60 headlight flash

iana

I’ve been working on the herald chasing electrical gremlins in the lighting circuits, most now work but not the headlight flash.

The headlight operates as it should and main beam also works but it won’t operate when you pull the lever towards the steering wheel, any idea what to check?

the flash has a direct feed  ie not from the headlamp circuit 

check the bunch  bullet connctors under the dash/stg column 

then have a prod at the fues box as the live comes from one of the fuse blades and the fuse cap acts as the connector between them  

notoriuos for playing gremlins 

on a more distant problem its not uncommon for the contact rivets in the switch corrode or burn even melt the switch body so contact 

is lost 

Pete

19 minutes ago, NonMember said:

I'm pretty sure the Herald doesn't have a fuse box. The 13/60 has a single, inline fuse, which is for... the headlamp flash circuit only.

I don't thing herald 1200 had the flash facility? (then again memory could be playing tricks)

55 minutes ago, NonMember said:

I'm pretty sure the Herald doesn't have a fuse box. The 13/60 has a single, inline fuse, which is for... the headlamp flash circuit only.

NonMember - superb thanks that’s part sorted it, it’s the sidelights that flash not the headlight but at least progress made

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed the flash last week or so I thought, fuse blown again, also main beam didn’t work. Messed with the loom and lights back on but not sure why, I’ll check and clean each connector but don’t know why the fuse blows - guessing it’s earthing somewhere along the cable run.

Well, after a drive in the dark, the new headlights are a vast improvement but now main beam doesnt work at all - thats tomorrows job to try and fix.

2 hours ago, iana said:

Well, after a drive in the dark, the new headlights are a vast improvement but now main beam doesnt work at all - thats tomorrows job to try and fix.

It never ends, does it? It'll take a few fuses before you find the cause, but you'll just have to follow the wires right along the circuit and adjust / repair as required.

What new headlamps did you fit?

• 4 weeks later...

Just been to the herald for a quick check over before club night, main beam not working again, it worked fine when I parked it up, it’s stood for a week and it’s stopped again, the fuse hasn’t blown but no main beam! Dipped and side lights are fine, getting a little frustrating now as I don’t really know what to do to fix it, I’m suspecting there’s a damaged cable inside the cabin as the usual fix is a movement of the cable - I suppose the only option is to start chopping out sections and replacing - annoying as I want to use the car

Ok - logical stages then - you've got dipped and sidelights. It's not the master switch then.

Suspect the stalk at the steering column, check the bullet connectors and make sure they're all well connected. The only other part will be the bullet connectors under the bonnet, again make sure they're all properly joined and good connections.

When you move the loom and it works - which bit do you move?

First place I checked was the fuse - the fuse was ok but there was cracked insulation on the cable - that’s now repaired.

investigated the column switch and switched dipped and main and it worked ok so the column switch appears ok, I then remade the Lucas connection under the dash, still not fixed. Then I did same to the connection under the bonnet - I think ideally that needs to be chopped out and remade but main beam now working (hence my suspicion of this joint.

electrical gremlins are a pain!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after a run out for drive it day I decided to check the lights given the previous issues, oddly when I flash main beam I get the side lights illuminating as well - off to study the wiring diagram again!

5 hours ago, iana said:

when I flash main beam I get the side lights illuminating as well

What position was the stalk in? If you leave the stalk in the main beam position and pull it to flash, then the sidelights will light up as well. It's a consequence of the way it's wired. You only need to worry if it happens when the stalk is not in the middle position.