Vitesse 1600 spluttering when hot

george

3 hours ago, Wagger said:

I am a retired Electrical and Electronic Engineer. Believe me, Potted or Integrated circuit components still fail AND it is not possible to find out which component is faulty without access to every NODE. At least one can fault find a points system in a layby. I made my first system with descreet components and could fix that, but only on the bench.

Oh I know ICs fail (and then are very difficult to fault find) but I was postulating that its not usually an intermittent failure unlike older circuits where tracking or component breakdown can give problems under certain conditions and then apparently recover...

3 hours ago, johny said:

Oh I know ICs fail (and then are very difficult to fault find) but I was postulating that its not usually an intermittent failure unlike older circuits where tracking or component breakdown can give problems under certain conditions and then apparently recover...

In the 1970's a dual Opamp appeared rated at 500mW. The Texas Instruments version was 400mW. It would heat up and shut down, then recover if switched off and llowed to cool. I outlawed it in all of my designs.

Uses the exisitng points as the trigger so you can switch between that mode or points operating as normal. Construction looks robust enough to me for the application although of course switch could suffer from moisture ingress...

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

Electronic or conventional. A simple either or switch over.....whoops, Johny beat me to it. Though that I'd posted this but it didn't send originally!!!

Best or worst of both worlds then 😁 but at least there is a backup in place.

Its a pretty good arrangement as the points gap doesnt matter, they just have to open at the right moment. Then theres no sparking so the contacts dont deteriorate and the only variable is down to the points operating heel wearing which is countered by adjusting the timing once in a blue moon. For me the only downside is that the unit has be mounted remotely somewhere...

5 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Posted this some time aback. The insides of a Sparkrite SX4000 electronic ignition unit. Distinctly underwhelming...

Must be a more modern version than mine, then... the switch on mine is tiny although it's only the SX2000 version. It clamps onto the coil, so handy to fit.

IMG_2254.thumb.jpeg.c18e98d3d530cbb93defa26489cb370c.jpeg