Lora, the '67 Spitfire

The latch handles I think. Did you figure out if you have the brass / bronze keyhole fittings in the windscreen frame for the hood latches to engage into? Oh, and a header rail seal probably. I need to remember to order one of those myself, still no sign of my soft top though :(

I have none of those things but did see them on Rimmers.

And my budget for the soft top is nigh on zero. However the cheapest (I know, not great) is once again only to be found at Rimmers and it's a whopping £280. Plus all the other bits...so more like £400 all in. I do love my Spitfire but she has expensive tastes!

Alex

My number one tip for spending less money is don’t buy from Rimmers! They tend to be very fast as they hold a lot of stock, but are consistently more expensive in my experience. The Mk3 soft top from James Paddock for example is £237 inc VAT. Not a huge saving obviously, but as Tesco say…Rimmers are the only place I was able to find the keyhole plates though. 

Alex - As I read it the cheapest mk3 hood that I can find is at Don Hoods...

www.donhoods.com

..and without the zip out back window is £156 with zip out back window £181 either plus £15 carriage and vat. Have a look. I haven't used them but they get a good write up here and I will certainly consider them for myself for the future.

Glad to help. I got mine from John Hill's (I think) over 30years ago as a cheap and cheerful repro put me on, 'til funds permitted better. It's still on and up to the point of typing this, still in good condition!! I must be honest, I do fancy the mohair version...but then, do I really need it?

Exactly! Is it needed or just desired? And it'll do exactly what the cheaper hood will do!

I've ordered the soft top. Now I need to source all the bits that make it fit the frame. Levers, bolts, pop studs etc.

Alex

When you do come to fit it take the time to search of the various posts here to avoid making the same mistakes. Try to find someone to borrow a popper rivetting gadget from and ensure that you line up the body/hood poppers precisely.. I didn't!! Also choose a nice warm, preferably sunny day when you fit, as the sun warming the hood makes things easier. Every one else will chip in their experiences and advice. Write them all down in some sort of sequence, it all helps.

Oh, and watch out for a cheap hood bag to stop it blowing in the breeze and, very important, learn how to fold the hood correctly to prolong it's life?

I’ve just bought my poppers from Woolies trim, they weren’t crazy money. Planning to manufacture myself a pop stud tool from one of the hammer style one and some vice grips.

When I was looking for key plates Spitfire Graveyard Dave didn’t have any, but that was just cause he didn’t have any in not cause they almost never turn up (if I’m remembering correctly). So the breakers are worth a call there. Paddocks list them under the Stag section I’ve just found, 622240 and 622239 are the part numbers I bought from Rimmers. 

I’ll probably be wanting to move on my old hood bag once the new one arrives, but it is Tan and filth colour despite much scrubbing…

Good advice! I have a rivet tool and I have fitted a soft top before to a Suzuki LJ80. That did not go well. I do follow the idea of doing it on a sunny day as the roof will stretch a bit and make for a snugger fit.  From a vague memory somewhere I think you fold over the quarter windows before folding the whole roof back? Never had a hood bag before but now I want one! I'm going to go off in a mo and do price comparisons for all the little bits I need.

Alex

Already ordered one from them Pete. 

And now I'm totally lost. I have some idea of what I need but it's all very confusing. Do I need a R/H, L/H and centre retainer? There are so many bolts/nuts/washers and I'm not sure which I need. Do I also need the sleeves that go through the top of the windscreen frame. I think I do but...not sure! Escutcheons? Those chrome handles I need but what holds them in place? 

AAARGH!

Alex

As I have most of these things visible due to having pretty much everything but the top itself ready and on the car, I can sort out some photos for you showing all the necessary parts. Not tonight though! 
Normally I’d say go look at the Canleys website as their online catalogue is the best I’ve seen on any car parts website ever. But they only show the early style top so not helpful in this case (having recently bought an original parts manual I think this is cause the Stanpart catalogue didn’t either).

So you need:

Two handles

F4866735-0576-4598-BB00-51BBE7737FC7.thumb.jpeg.704c43dea56d8d5e3176e8c4b2632148.jpegAD6165A3-F080-4FB6-9458-C735AED8156A.thumb.jpeg.85363ee585b0563c55cba5874acb47d8.jpeg

attached with:

4 of 10-32” UNF by 3/8” countersunk chrome set screws, nuts, washers and spring washers

Two keyhole plates (handed) part Nos 622240 and 622239

3A568F87-F739-4AF8-838F-D1B20DFA9643.thumb.jpeg.1e92c67326580bbb0c55f51915c3d66d.jpeg

2 of 5/16” UNF by 7/8” fancy domed hex set screws holding down the rear of the soft top

E60296E4-E169-48D1-AED7-85C5705D6B0C.thumb.jpeg.de1b0aafa4c765fcb746780a6e45a76b.jpeg

2 of 1/4” UNF by 7/8” countersunk set screws

4 of 1/4” by 7/8” UNF hex head set screws, washers and spring washers (I think these were originally shorter)

holding the frame on2AB3ABC9-183B-4B42-9063-3DFF7F0166F1.thumb.jpeg.d7f904c503a4e2f91a8b8d9c35c20b2e.jpeg

I think that’s everything?

6 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

on my MkIV there is a plate, about 2 foot long, that rivets along the back of the soft-top. Don't know if it's the same for the Mk3.

I supplied one with the frame. I don't know if it is mk3 or IV, they look the same, but.....

Thanks Josef. That is a massive help and it turns out I don't need as much as I thought! Clive did supply that retainer plate and I best check it lines up ok on my car. 

Got started on the carpets today...got the first bit (on the right side of the drivers footwell) fitted and that was nice and easy with a little trimming. Then removed the seat. Or tried to. 3 of the bolts unscrewed nice and easy whilst the 4th one (and the one farthest away) had a nut on it unlike welded ones. No idea what size as none of my sockets would fit so I managed to get the mole grips on it, and then contorted myself so I could hold the grips underneath the car and the ratchet inside...and slowly undid it! The previous owner said the floors are new and he wasn't lying. Nice to see that. Started on the sound deadening then rain bought and end to that. I'll continue tomorrow.

Alex

IMG_20220623_195915.jpg

IMG_20220623_201524.jpg

IMG_20220623_202055.jpg

IMG_20220623_202538.jpg

26 minutes ago, Piglet said:

I think I also need a pair of these...

Alex

a1.jpg

Yep, I gave the part numbers in my post (called them keyhole plates). Couldn’t do a good photo though as mine are under the windscreen capping! I understand the MkIII ones are not the same as squaretail ones.