Lora, the '67 Spitfire

• 3 weeks later...

A nice sunny weekend and I've decided the hood needs to go on. But I have no real idea of how to fit the hood release levers. Does this look right? They are a little loose too. Not sure if there should be a washer in between the mounts...

Alex

IMG_20220924_151038.jpg

IMG_20220924_151050.jpg

IMG_20220924_151058.jpg

Yeah you’ll have to remove the aluminium trim from the top of the windscreen frame (drilling out the rivets). The brass coloured catches then fit with some countersunk set screws into captive nuts on the top of the frame and the trim mostly covers them. 

Slowly getting there...I removed the top part off of the windscreen and now face a conundrum. What way round do these latches go? Is it pointing left on the left or is that too obvious! And, of course, I don't have the correct screws to mount these so ordered some. Another thing is the curvy washers are round in the centre unlike the part they are meant to go on, which is square! Any ideas?

I do apologise for all the questions but this is all new to me, never fitted a hood before and I need to get it right. 😁

Alex

A little bit more progress. The 'internal' latches are in and the frame top thing is riveted back on. I think I have the handles on the wrong way round but I can always swap them over. I'm hoping if we get another half decent day here to get the hood actually on. 

Alex

IMG_20221006_144344.jpg

IMG_20221006_145653.jpg

IMG_20221006_150244.jpg

IMG_20221006_151423.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Piglet said:

I have a dilemma! Do I start at the windscreen first and stretch the back out or the other way round? I'm poised and ready to do this but some clarification would help!

Alex

do the back first.

Pop the hood header rail on top of screen frame so it sits a little up (that will enable more tension)

Mark the centre of the windscreen and hood. Pull the hood tight and roughly mark the front edge with chalk.

Then use  spray contact adhesive (ideally) on the inside of the hood and the frame header. Let it dry, and I use greaseproof paper leaving a gap in the middle. Pulled teh hood good and tight, stuck it in the middle. Using an assistant, pull/stick down one side then the other, removing the greaseproof paper as you go. 

I would then check the hood fit before going any further. It will peel off  if needed so you can start again. 

Make sure the hood is hot and floppy, it really helps. I use spray adhesive from toolstation, works really well. 

I know Pete! It's messy stuff for sure.

So a start was made. It took a while just to get this far. The first press stud was a bum clenching time and every time I added another the roof had to come off to hammer them in place. But I'm happy. It looks loose on the frame but when I pull it tight (but not too tight) over the windscreen it all fits nicely. I do have one issue and I can't get my rivet gun to put the last stud in place. I think a self tapper will have to do for now. Tomorrow it's finish it all off and go for a test drive!

AlexIMG_20221008_155843.thumb.jpg.fb09fe2780d13816425c07101018a68f.jpg

IMG_20221008_145206.jpg

IMG_20221008_150942.jpg

IMG_20221008_160942.jpg

Not sure quite what you mean Pete. But I'll figure something out!

The hood is on! Needs tweaking and one pop stud fitting but for a first attempt I'm happy with it. There are a few niggles. The metal plate that sits bolts on below the rear window...I forgot all about that so I'll put it in at a later date. Then there are the windscreen rubber channels. Tiny. I can't fit my rivet gun in them. Maybe it's a case of folding them down a little, fit rivet, then fold them back up. All irrelevant as I popped inside for a moment and when I came back the two outer ones were missing. Gone. Bloody workshop Gremlins again. I'll have to order another set, and of course when they turn up so will the missing parts...

Alex

IMG_20221009_151519.jpg

IMG_20221009_151529.jpg

11 hours ago, Piglet said:

Then there are the windscreen rubber channels. Tiny. I can't fit my rivet gun in them.

Yup, a section of fine bore steel tube over the mandel of the rivet works well. Or if tube not to hand then a stack of small washers (e.g. M3) achieves the same result of spacing the flange of the rivet away from the nose of the gun.