Lora, the '67 Spitfire

There should be a switching mechanism on the top cover of the gearbox to activate the reversing lights. There’s a couple of different variations. I assume yours has vanished with a gearbox change some time in the past. If you can get a photo of the top of the gearbox from the engine bay, then we should be able to help figure out what bits are missing if you decide you want to restore the automatic activation when selecting reverse. 

1 hour ago, Josef said:

If you can get a photo of the top of the gearbox from the engine bay,

The more common reverse light switch position is probably not visible from the engine bay - it's on the top cover behind the selector tower and beneath the extension for the gear stick fixing. If there's wires attached then a photo from the left side would show them but if the wires are there then why aren't they in use?

Does the car have overdrive? If so, there's an alternative reverse light switch position that may be visible (and possibly even accessible for fitting) from the engine bay.

I decided not to attempt the soft top. But today was meant to be a good one and it wasn't. Off to get the shocks fitted but the garage didn't have the correct coil compressor. He also said the turrets were twisted. Nuts. Then dropped off the airbox for a soda blast and powder coat. Then to this local marine hood company to see if they could fit my soft top. Closed. At 1pm. Got home and rang them. No answer. I'll try calling them tomorrow.

So another visit to the Paddocks website. Turrets, new nylocks, coil compressor (that cost the same as 2 new shocks I might add) and some new windscreen wipers as I noticed mine are a bit tatty.

Alex

Beware the front turrets of a Spitfire are different to a Herald, Vitesse or GT6, which are the same.

I think it's to lower the engine in the Spit, I had to change the daughters Spitfire Mk2 turrets as they were Heralds and the top rad hose wouldn't line up with the radiator, even adjusting the radiator height.

Interested in the comment the turret is twisted they are a substantial item  I suppose they could be impact damaged but I'd compare them with a Paddock replacement first.

Colin my daughters 66 Mk2 Spit has different turrets to the Vitesse/Herald models the difference appears to be the distance from the top wishbone swivel bolt to the engine mount bolts can’t specifically remember the actual dimensions but somewhere in the region of 3.75in vs 4.25. the shorter being Spitfire so it lowers the engine between the chassis legs.

I was down at the daughters today and could have confirmed the dimensions BUT !

I think there might be some confusion here. The turrets most people seem to be thinking of are the sections that bolt to the chassis and hold the top of the shocks and top wishbones. I assume Alex you’re talking about the parts in your photo that are intended to hold the spring in compression against the bottom pan that’s integral to the shock?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Colin my daughters 66 Mk2 Spit has different turrets to the Vitesse/Herald models the difference appears to be the distance from the top wishbone swivel bolt to the engine mount bolts can’t specifically remember the actual dimensions but somewhere in the region of 3.75in vs 4.25. the shorter being Spitfire so it lowers the engine between the chassis legs.

I have a set of those, but mine came from a 1500 Spitfire hence there may be confusion on my part as I thought it was the later models that needed them due to the bonnet shape or engine upgrade, if either affects it any! I have to be very careful and keep them distinct from Herald versions that I may be sandblasting as the difference in size is very small. 

Spitfire left, Herald right.

DSCF3377.jpg.8ffbdcfeee5dfbbff16bf64654a09775.jpg  DSCF3378.jpg.7ca976b4eb20cb1c34f156c8a6a46431.jpg

Quick sit rep. The new shocks are all done now thanks to the spring compressor! The car feels more planted now and has certainly improved things...however the steering is still so heavy. I think I might go and get the wheels aligned to make sure everything is as it should be.

But...as I was leaving the garage to my utter amazement an orange 1500 Spit drives in. Got chatting to the owner, Andrew from Guildford and he used to be a paid up member of the TSSC. Long story short the car needed a new MOT as he was off to France tonight alongside a classic Lotus and Mini. And I managed to get a photo of how his soft top fits. Invaluable. It's given me a boost to try to fit the hood myself again!

Alex

What concerns me is how the shocks managed to get damaged in the first place. That might imply that there is something else wrong with the suspension. The usual suspect breakers are worth a call for a bag full of suspension shims if you’re going to potentially adjust the alignment, you want plenty on hand as you can’t judge how many you might need beforehand. 

The other thing though is, what size steering wheel do you have? My Spit came with a 13” wheel and I hated it! It definitely made the steering feel heavy, especially compared with my Herald which has the full size original wheel. 

1 hour ago, Josef said:

The other thing though is, what size steering wheel do you have?

Also, what size tyres. The original big steering wheel with 145 tyres would be a LOT lighter on the steering than, say, a 13" wheel with 175/70 tyres. My Spitfire has nice light steering (original wheel, 155 tyres) but the GT6 has a small wheel and 175/70s on top of the heavier engine...

She's on standard rims and tyres, but yes a 13" steering wheel. As for why the shock was damaged the mechanic said the rubber bushes on the top were very worn, worse on the offside than the nearside. I'm going to look on Youtube for wheel alignment/tracking for dummies, but there are a few local places that will do it.

Alex

On mine I wrapped and glued the leading edge of the soft top over the frame, riveted the 'u' channel over it, then fitted the header seal into the 'u' channel.  But wait for others to confirm before you cut and drill and glue and everything else!!! You only do this wrong once!!!