Lora, the '67 Spitfire

Well, for your hard top yes. Those are so you can do up the bolts holding the front of the hard top on without crushing the windscreen frame. That anti crush tube goes through the hole in the top of the screen and then the bolt goes through the tube. I think so at least?

I managed to finish the carpets today. I'm rather pleased how it all turned out and the carpet itself was surprisingly good. The two areas just behind the seats were the hood frame mounts just had some cheap matting stuck over them, so I'll make some covers in plyboard and then cover them with vinyl.

Also placed another eye watering order with Rimmers.

And has anyone had issues with Don Hoods before? I sent an email asking how long delivery would be and no reply. In fact no confirmation that they've even got the order (they do have my money though!)

Alex

IMG_20220624_142937.jpg

IMG_20220625_153454.jpg

IMG_20220625_153507.jpg

I did read that their lead times were about 6 weeks but I don't remember where I saw it. Indeed you would get a similar situation with Park Lane Classics. Superb product, long lead time due to small very busy company but not too hot on communications.

4 minutes ago, Piglet said:

Oh well. Odd that the website says 2 days. Maybe it's 2 days to contemplate things...😃

Alex

I think that refers to the delivery time in transit. Did you send your message through the contact form on the website? My experience is that these can be hit and miss and always back it up with a separate email. Might be worth having a look at this thread, if you haven't already found it.?.

https://forum.tssc.org.uk/topic/8414-spitfire-softop/#comment-122450

I looked at the fleabay lot. I don't want to worry you, but I was put off by their attitude to complaints both on fleabay and their own web site, but that's just a very personal view. If the product is good and you got good service that's brilliant and just goes to show that you can't believe everything you read on't t'internet 

It was me saying Don Hoods’ lead times were 6 weeks as that’s what Angie quoted when I ordered originally. Though I’m now well past the 6 week mark and no sign of the hood :( I’m quite practiced at being patient with waiting on things for the Spitfire by now, but it’s still a little frustrating. Not that lack of hood is stopping me driving it, just stopping me parking it up anywhere for more then a minute or two!

You know what I never checked the feedback and I always do that! However, fast delivery and perfect.

As for Don...if it's six weeks I'm cancelling. Like Josef I can't drive my car unless I'm certain it's not going to rain, and even then it means lifting that hard top on and off...I'll suck it up and buy one from Rimmers. Dammit.

Alex

22 hours ago, Piglet said:

.I'll suck it up and buy one from Rimmers. Dammit.

Check where they get theirs from before you cancel with Don and order elsewhere. Remember where the club get their hoods from. Other suppliers may do exactly the same.

Alex those are the super sophisticated cabin heater controls. There’s two sprung hatches on the sides of the heater box, you flip them open or closed and hot air is directed to the cabin or to the screen (nominally). No cables or anything fancy like that! Your non moving one might just be stuck?

Thanks lads more food for thought.

Soft top...I shall check with senor Ding Don tomorrow and see what's what but I need one asap. The speedo reset is on the drivers side lol and easy to see. And the wiring is awful but works so I'll leave it as is for now.

I suspected heater doo dahs and shall investigate the non working one but they are almost impossible to see or reach. Should there not be a lever there? Or two levers...

Alex

Thanks for  carpet info,

ref heater knobs/levers the flaps have a foam seal on them to stop  them rattling when shut, ours had disintergrated but t's ok doesn't rattle too much.

If I have the heater out in the future I'll replace those seals 

7 hours ago, Piglet said:

04.jpeg

Those bits you’ve circled are the brackets for holding the parcel shelves on. The black plastic knob in your picture of your own car is the heater control, and is pretty awkward to reach! (And my wiring in the photo does need a tidy too I know :D )

image.jpg

Hood update from Don's. I placed my order on the 21st and the chap reckons a lead time of 3-4 weeks. So another 3 weeks max to wait. I can live with that, even though I was tempted with the Rimmers one.

Alex

• Like 1