Recovery mission

Wagger

I believe Indira Gandhi said this:-

'There are basically two types of people. Those that do the work and those that take the credit. Try to be in the first group where there is less competition'.

Hi Folks,

I do not know anything about UK politics before WW2 but since 1945 EVERY UK Gov't have been utterly useless.

They come up with an idea but have no clue how to implement it.

Every utility within the UK has been done for the day  but not looking at tomorrow.

ALL Gov't only act for today because this gets them 'brownie' points. If they plan for tomorrow the opposition my get the points.   Selfish through and through.

And don;t forget - they lie.

Roger

Bismarck may have said that "Politics is the Art of the Possible" or else "of Compromise".    Certainly, the decisions politics lead to will never satisfy everyone, and antagonise many.      In striving to compromise between antagonistic beliefs, the politician must compromise their own, to achieve anything.    Thus, they appear to be incapable of the truth.

To exaggerate that, to lower the politician to one who always lies, is to open the door to the awful reality of today.    In this decade, we have seen the murder of two British MPs, Sarah Cox and David Amess.  Both excellent, honourable politicians, killed by people with extreme views, but only possible in an atmosphere where "politicians deserve death".

It is dangerous to believe or say that politicians always lie.    It is worse to make a joke of it.  But worst of all is to believe that there is nothing that politics can solve, because that opens the door to totalitarians.

John

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Bismarck may have said that "Politics is the Art of the Possible" or else "of Compromise".    Certainly, the decisions politics lead to will never satisfy everyone, and antagonise many.      In striving to compromise between antagonistic beliefs, the politician must compromise their own, to achieve anything.    Thus, they appear to be incapable of the truth.

To exaggerate that, to lower the politician to one who always lies, is to open the door to the awful reality of today.    In this decade, we have seen the murder of two British MPs, Sarah Cox and David Amess.  Both excellent, honourable politicians, killed by people with extreme views, but only possible in an atmosphere where "politicians deserve death".

It is dangerous to believe or say that politicians always lie.    It is worse to make a joke of it.  But worst of all is to believe that there is nothing that politics can solve, because that opens the door to totalitarians.

John

Agree with that. Walking in another person's shoes teaches us a load. I am not religious, but the words in the serenity prayer make perfect sense. I won't post it, but many of us know it.

Just look after our own little patch and set an example. I hate this age of blame culture. Instead of moaning  I try to do something useful. Unfortunately, I still manage, unintentionally, to annoy others.

How is Jacinta Adern viewed in NZ? From this distance I would say she is about the pick of the bunch, but an international rpofile isn't always mirrored at home. As others have noted, there is no one in this country -of any party- who would bestride the world like a colossus right now...