Recovery mission

Wagger

Not quite the usual for one of these. My wife went shopping yesterday and I had a call from her as her glasses had broken whilst driving. One arm departed and the other too when they hit the floor. I had to drive down in the Vitesse with her spare pair and was not sure it was gonna do the job. Pleased to report that it managed admirably through all of the school traffic too. My old glasses are in glove boxes of both cars. Always were. Hers are there now too!

Once when caravanning, I ducked to enter the awning, caught my head on the open window that I had not seen. Glasses flew off, I tripped and trod on them. Should have been recorded, without sound though! Spare pair was in the car, luckily.

I have 2 sets of reading glasses in the car, 1 in my motorbike, 1 in the workshop, 2 in the lounge, 1 by the bed, 1 in the 'reading room' and 1 in my work tool kit.

Just have to remember top remove the pair before moving location

8 hours ago, ahebron said:

I have 2 sets of reading glasses in the car, 1 in my motorbike, 1 in the workshop, 2 in the lounge, 1 by the bed, 1 in the 'reading room' and 1 in my work tool kit.

Just have to remember top remove the pair before moving location

I have three 'good' sets, one goes with me, one stays in the study,  and one lies on whatever book I'm reading and go everywhere with it. I've a cheapie pair from a stand - you know the one where you look into the machine, gauge the grade you need and purchase accordingly? They stay in the garage, battered, bent and still earning their keep.

I had reading glasses up until 2020 when i had to pay for a private Cataract operation in both eyes over 12 months, not needed glasses since for reading or driving.

Clever what they can do now with artificial lenses in your eye.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Steve P said:

I had reading glasses up until 2020 when i had to pay for a private Cataract operation in both eyes over 12 months, not needed glasses since for reading or driving.

Clever what they can do now with artificial lenses in your eye.

When my Cataract(s) got to the point of needing "work". the eye surgeon also did implants. For the first time in 50+ years I could legally drive without glasses, which I had worn since age 10. I have to have reading glasses for close work though. cheap jobs, which can be found all over the house, cars and the Motorhome, Just had a retest and medical for keeping my C1, still OK.👍.

Colin and B-W. "tut tut" Naughty!😂. Party afterward`s?. who`s Birthday do we celebrate? (tad expensive i am given to understand)?😭

Pete

Final word from me on this particular thread drift. Interested to see Mr Johnson's red box on the table in the photos released by ITV. It was only a matter of time before some Minister said that as the red box was in shot, Mr Johnson must have been working. I was highly amused as he had obviously forgotten, or never seen, the episode where Jim Hacker (Yes Minister) returns home and takes a bottle of House of Commons whisky out of his red box. Hmmmm!!!???

• Haha 1

Interesting about the cataracts ops restoring vision.
My vision went bad after having my appendix removed 5 years ago when I was 52.
Never having been admitted to hospital or under a general anaesthetic till then my eye muscles decided enough was enough and you will have to wear glasses to read.
Therefore if they restore my appendix will my vision improve?

Re, the current furore over what went on in Downing St?.

Perhaps it`s just the wrong time to change horses at the top.?. Putin`s strangling the world economy, and Killing Civilians randomly, China is sitting on the fence watching, with an eye on Taiwan.  Europe, can`t agree on anything, Biden is scratching his posterior?. And the UK Media want a change at the top. NOT condoning what went down, But the time for change is surely NOT now?.

Pete

16 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Perhaps it`s just the wrong time to change horses at the top.

On the contrary, a time of need seems like exactly the RIGHT time to dump this bunch of jokers in favour of somebody competent. You're just buying in to their self-preservation slogans (which, incidentally, is the same argument Thatcher used to try to postpone her departure, and the country suffered not one jot from her failure to do so).

On 25/05/2022 at 08:19, ahebron said:

Interesting about the cataracts ops restoring vision.
My vision went bad after having my appendix removed 5 years ago when I was 52.
Never having been admitted to hospital or under a general anaesthetic till then my eye muscles decided enough was enough and you will have to wear glasses to read.
Therefore if they restore my appendix will my vision improve?

I never needed glasses unil aged 44 after being made redundant when Thatcher cancelled HMS Challenger. I spent weeks filling in forms for alternative employment, then did no reading for two weeks. I then noticed that I had to put the newspapers on the floor in order to focus. Within two years, even the Moon was too close without correction. I used monocular contacts (left for close, right for distance) for a few years but driving at night caused nausea. I now use varifocals. I can read a number plate at 60 metres and 2mm high text at 12 inches. I have a few 'Floaters' that pass the line of vision looking like bubbles or spiders. I play games laying in bed trying to eclipse the ceiling rose with them.

My three brothers all had cataracts. One has just had a very successful operation. I have early signs of Glaucoma. The treatment risks cataracts, so I may choose lenses that are good for distance and continue to use varifocals if the time arrives before the big 'C' returns.

3 hours ago, NonMember said:

On the contrary, a time of need seems like exactly the RIGHT time to dump this bunch of jokers in favour of somebody competent. 

Name any? TV is full of interviews of sad-looking people on every topic from 'my cat ate the wrong food and died' to 'my bus is never on time' and the solution: "I think whoever is in charge should resign..." All we have to do is go back over the last zillions of years of politics.... "Boris should resign.... Theresa May should resign... David Cameron should resign... Gordon Brown should resign... Tony Blair should resign..." so why is it after each one leaves / resigns we're back to the same thing yet again? Boris leaves, and I'll give you a few months before the same call goes out to his successor. They're only the figureheads; it's a bit like: next time your Herald breaks down take the bonnet badge off, throw it away, put on a new one and hey: you'll have a working car again.

Problem is: when they do right, no one remembers; when they do wrong, no-one forgets. Speaking of forgetting... what was this thread about, again?

10 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Name any?

Keir Starmer. Angela Rayner. Nicola Sturgeon (OK, that's definitely a cheat!)

Your point is quite valid in the context of the Tory party, though, which has been deliberately purged of any possible candidates by the current PM.

For the Tories, Jeremy Hunt, seems to be a serious politician,   Even if he did get NHS staff to hate him, he seems to understand their problems now.

Rory Stewart?   A wild card, but he is an honourable man, with a most impressive back story.

Teresa May?   Although in UK politics, you never get a second bite at the top job, she was also an honest politician.

But as Colin says the problem is the Party.    Labour's internal wars are waged in public, while those in the Tories are kept very quiet, but just as vicious.   May was brought down by a loud minority, Stewart is in a minority.  Hunt?   

John

Intersting drift. 

I was just thinking, Churchill was often regarded as the "right" man to lead the country during WWII, but promptly discarded after.

Maggie, she did her "job" of modernising the country, but wasn't sensible enough to leave once done, instead hanging on until forced out, but too late to give the next guy a chance.

Tony, likewise. He did his stuff with a very favorable economy, it would have been impossible to cock that bit up. Then it all eventually went wrong, he shoudl have got out before.

Cameron craftily left in a hurry, avoiding getting much mud slung at him.

Boris, he should have realised he was only there to "get Brexit done" and could/should have left once done, escaping the fallout. But he is now damaged beyond repair, with little chance of re-election. 

From the Tory point of view, Boris removing serious contenders from the front benches has probably done them a favour, they can claim to be fairly clean. At one point I expected Rishi to be the appointed heir, but teh last few months have been a disaster for him. Fell out with Boris, then a fine and his wife's tax affairs. I do wonder if some of those revelations were leaked by Boris's team to put him in his place? 

Keir Starmer has some potential, but maybe a bit of a damp squib? Not looking forward to AR getting real power, I think she is not the "soft left" that she claims, and worries me. 

Don't get me started on NS, apart from her independance ideas, there is little to suggest she has actually achieved a great deal as leader. And a few notible failures...

But I have said it before, no matter what party is in power, the vast majority of changes that happen to us is down the the world economy. Which we have little influence over. Governments make a big song and dance about stuff, but the reality is they don't change much.