Spitfire 1500 - After front suspension refurb' Brake disc rubs on Caliper

I've stripped, blasted and refitted the front suspension.  No new bearings or cups but new felt washers for which I've had to re-use the existing seats.

When I came to refit the brake caliper the near-side disc now rubs on the caliper and the off-side has only a small gap. 😞

The dust shield is sandwiched between the vertical link and the caliper.

Looking at it logically, because the caliper is bolted to the link it is in a fixed position so it seems to me that the issue is with the hub/disc and that it is not sitting far enough back on the stub axle.  I've had several attempts at getting it back together and the result is always the same.

Any ideas please folks?

What should have been a morning's work has dragged on for a month.

Signed,

Frustrated of Frilsham,

is the replacement felt disc far too thick  there are some awful parts up for sale that just dont fit 

you say you had to use the old cups  thats the warning signs 

try the hub on without the felt the felt will crush but if too thick will off set the hub till the felt wears in  

its easy to try to see if this helps the fit 

many sell a look alike felt but they are just wrong  

if this is the case i suggest buy from canley classisc 

or use youre old felts  

a   thought ...........you have the cup the right way round  ???  recess faces outwards  & felt runs direct on the stub axle 

Pete

5 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

is the replacement felt disc far too thick  there are some awful parts up for sale that just dont fit 

you say you had to use the old cups  thats the warning signs 

try the hub on without the felt the felt will crush but if too thick will off set the hub till the felt wears in  

its easy to try to see if this helps the fit 

many sell a look alike felt but they are just wrong  

if this is the case i suggest buy from canley classisc 

or use youre old felts  

a   thought ...........you have the cup the right way round  ???  recess faces outwards  & felt runs direct on the stub axle 

Pete

The felt washers and cups I bought from Canleys were oversize and couldn’t be used . As a fan of Canleys they might have better stock now

Paul 

I read somewhere eons ago if replacing the felt seal saturate the new felt in oil overnight then compress them for several days in a vice or similar tightening several times as they relax so they are compressed and oiled not soaked, I have done this with both the Spit and Vitesse and had no disc/caliper spacing issues.

My replacement seals came with new metal backings.

Cheers all.

I'll measure the thickness of the felt and will try with the old felts. 

Pete Lewis, yes the cups are the right way, good thinking though.  Got my new felts from Rimmers and I've had to remove the felts from their metal cups as they wouldn't drift in. 

Pete Truman, I'm going to give that a go as well.

Wish me Luck 🙂

IaN

any problems with felts as Gully said go to club shop 

think there was some thoughts way back that some were selling TR7 felts that are just oversize  

and the ones with the felt adhered in the cup are also over sized 

just aftermarket look alike crap from suppliers you should be able to trust    

Pete

Mine had the felt glued into the cups 😞.  Assumed the stuff from Rimmers would be good quality.

Took a pair of scissors to the felts and trimmed 'em back.  Has done the trick, no more rubbing but the gap is probably three rizla's.

All re-built and rotating as smooth as silk.

Cheers once again for your words gents.

Have a good weekend all.

1 hour ago, wimpus said:

A few days ago used some of my NOS felt seals (only 1 left now 😔)

These fit great, the felt is much softer then on the new ones.

So can be compressed more easy, cant be done with the new ones.

I've salted a few away over the years, they're a straight fit and much better felt. The new ones - the white one in this photo - bent on fitting and the felt came off.

DSCF4952.thumb.JPG.c27f3b9a4427663efe4eea917c2a1763.JPG