Purpose of these flaps on a new Spitfire 1500 hood?

Spitjames

Hi everyone

I am fitting an original spec pvc hood (part XKCIZB from Rimmer Bros) to my 78 spitfire 1500. I am following the directions they supply (Link to pdf), but nowhere is there a reference to flaps that sit around the top of the b pillar.

I don't know what to do with them and there doesn't seem to be an obvious place for them to go. I don't even know what their function could be? Draught exclusion? drainage channel?

Has any one got any insight? Otherwise the most likely result is that I'll leave them there until they annoy me and then I'll cut them off.

Cheers all

James

672434258_hoodflaps.thumb.jpg.982d4afe4fbd1259cf2f33a2c6800088.jpg

It's possible they close in the door gaps, and are gripped by the metalwork to keep the hood edges down tight and maybe slightly more weather-proof or windproof (as far as it can ever be) but they might also be handy for when when the vehicle is parked up to prevent anyone lifting the hood edge and putting their hands in. Someone here will know for sure.

I would have thought these flaps are designed to feed any water down the Door shut part of the 'B' post so it can drain away onto the top of the sill then down away onto the Road?

Didn't the later Spitfires have some some of extended seal on the 'A' Post when brand new to seal up under the hardtop above the door windows for weather proofing?

Gary

53 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

It's possible they close in the door gaps, and are gripped by the metalwork to keep the hood edges down tight and maybe slightly more weather-proof or windproof (as far as it can ever be) but they might also be handy for when when the vehicle is parked up to prevent anyone lifting the hood edge and putting their hands in. Someone here will know for sure.

Gripped between the B-post and door seal actually, but otherwise correct. It's a continuation of the flap that rests against the back of the door glass when the window is up.

Cheers, Richard

As Richard says, they're supposed to be gripped by the door when closed. Partly that's to drain water, but it also helps relieve the strain on the front popper so that the hood wing doesn't lift and flap around while you're driving.

I think they're also supposed to have a little hook on them to grab onto a hook on the B-post, but that may be on earlier cars only.

This is all really useful info - I definitely won't be cutting it off then!

When I got the car last year, both the hood (torn) and frame (rusted) were in the boot so I didn't have anything in situ to reference off. The collective wisdom on here has been invaluable.