Engine hunting at idle, on Vitesse in hot weather

daverclasper

My BMW 100Rs, would, if left unused for a few weeks, Need the Carbs re-balancing.? Very similar to Strombergs. Don`t know if that would have any relevance in this instance. Never had a car with Twin SU`s, usually just one big one?.

Took about 15Min using a Mercury gauge.

Pete

Just hoping Pete H, that's it's the PCV valve. Mine are the simplest Strom CD's. Not much to go out out of kilter generally, as far as I know?, especially as car is used regularly so parts are moving, also  lowi'sh miles, so less longer term  wear on components., Been dead reliable for years after a bit of simple, low cost work initially and getting to learn the in and outs (thanks to this club mainly)

PS, I'm actually not by nature an, optimist!.

• Like 1

Having looked at service manuals pics of the emission the control system mine appears not to be the same. It's a Vitesse Mk11 . I hope the pics make it clears. The diaphragm valve just rests in the hole on the top of the manifold. It's clearly not as it should be. Would this cause the engine not to start ? Is there anything else connected directly into the manifold that could cause the engine not to start ?

It won't allow me to post pictures. A major difference is that the manifold ' rail ' has two holes, one, on top, where the valves sits, the, other pointing forwards, just below. This has a hose connected to it which has been blanked off.

Thanks....Neil

I have seen valves DIY style, connected with a hose from rocker cover and directly from outlet of valve to manifold (with maybe a short coupling length of hose). As long as the hoses/fittings, are sealed and not letting air in, then should work as original fitment.

The blanked off hole, would be for a vacuum accessory, e.g. vacuum gauge/brake servo.

There should be a hose from the rocker cover to the pcv and a S shape hose from the pcv to the manifold. There's a fitting in the manifold and a bracket holds the pcv. If you don't have this setup you must blank off the manifold to stop any air being sucked into the intake. At the rocker you can leave it vented to atmosphere. However I would buy the correct setup or use an oil catch can instead of a pcv. 

As Pete said we need pics. As is it must have a 'orrid tickover. 

Iain 

I'm told the manifold is off a triumph 2000 and looking at a picture of one it is the same. Since I've had the car it's only developed this starting problem recently, so, it will run fine with the wrong manifold fitted. I don't quite know where to go from here. What about blocking off the breather hole in the manifold completely ? Can't see why a replacement manifold is needed. Oh, you will see the pic upload worked this time, must be me.

Thanks....Neil

PXL_20220902_105846384.jpg

PXL_20220902_105935833.jpg

PXL_20220902_110021227.jpg

PXL_20220902_110114018.jpg

yes that is different from standard and you could check the engine serial number to see if the complete unit has been changed. The PCV looks as if it should have an o-ring fitted to its stub pipe which then will be a tight fit and seal in the manifold connection. The other connection will have been for a servo in the 2000 but which the Vitesse never had fitted as standard... 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, johny said:

The PCV looks as if it should have an o-ring fitted to its stub pipe which then will be a tight fit and seal in the manifold

Johny, I would be surprised if that's the case as when the O ring degraded it would be "eaten" by the combustion chambers. This would I fear not be good and cause severe indigestion! 😝

Iain 

4 hours ago, johny said:

yes that is different from standard and you could check the engine serial number to see if the complete unit has been changed. The PCV looks as if it should have an o-ring fitted to its stub pipe which then will be a tight fit and seal in the manifold connection. The other connection will have been for a servo in the 2000 but which the Vitesse never had fitted as standard... 

The engine number has a ME prefix which indicates it was originally fitted to a Triumph 2000. The PCV must be air tight surely. I'll try an o ring and see if it makes a difference. I've tested the compressions and all cylinders gave readings of 140/150.

Thanks....Neil