2000 Front Wheel Bearing - "Remove slackness"

Replacing the front wheel bearings on my 2000 and according to the workshop manual first step is to dry assemble and tighten the nut "...only sufficiently to remove slackness. Slacken the nut back to the nearest split pin hole..." - but what does that actually mean?

Tightening the nut with fingers I can get to one hole and still hear/feel movement of the hub pushing/pulling it along the stub axle.  Tighten to the next hole and can't hear/feel movement...but then backing of puts me in the hole with movement.

Is that the correct hole to be targeting or does "remove slackness" mean something else?

Why can't it be nice and simple like the adjustment "Apply a torque not exceeding 5 lbf ft to the hub nut, whilst rotating hub..."!

use a spanner and lightly hand nip the castle nut  back it of one or two flats there must be soome endfloat or you will quickly sieze the outer brg to its axle and thats ££££s to fix 

so just turn the nut back to align the pin hole  generally there are two pin holes to aid adjustment 

end float is (not looked it up)  0.002" to 0.008"  so you need to feel a small amount of rock at the wheel rim  

i dont advise the0.008" that gives you a good 1/4" rock at the wheel rim and can cause pad push back 

pete  

7 minutes ago, Mjit said:

Why can't it be nice and simple like the adjustment "Apply a torque not exceeding 5 lbf ft to the hub nut, whilst rotating hub..."!

It is a bit strange but the theory is the looseness allows the inner race to rotate slightly on the stub shaft so meaning that any road impact load isnt always in the same place so it'll last a lot longer👍

1 hour ago, Mjit said:

Replacing the front wheel bearings on my 2000 and according to the workshop manual first step is to dry assemble and tighten the nut "...only sufficiently to remove slackness. Slacken the nut back to the nearest split pin hole..." - but what does that actually mean?

Sounds same as GT6 although not sure why they say dry assemble here. Are you supposed to take it apart again to put the grease in?

1 hour ago, johny said:

Sounds same as GT6 although not sure why they say dry assemble here. Are you supposed to take it apart again to put the grease in?

I'm not sure the 2000/Stag set-up is the same as the GT6 (I have a Spitfire and Spit/Herald/Vitesse/GT6 ARE the same).

The Triumph WSM I have for my Spitfire has 'Put it all together with grease and set end float to 0.002" to 0.008" but the Triumph WSM for new bearings the 2000 has 'Dry assemble WITHOUT inner garter seal/tighten to remove slackness/back off to nearest split pin hole/mark nut position/remove hub, grease bearings and fit inner garter seal/refit hub/screw nut back in to position identified dry.  For adjusting bearings in service it's 'Tighten nut to max 5 lbf ft while turning hub in same direction/back iff to nearest split pin hole'.

Haynes WSM for the Stag is unclear, saying in step 9 'During initial assembly the bearings mist be assembled dry'...then just says 'Fit the bearings' for 10 and 'Pack hub and bearings with grease, then section 2' for 11 (section 2 is "In service" 5 lbf ft set-up). No reason/instructions for the dry fit or mention if the garter seal!

Just looked through and, unlike the Spitfire one can't see anything in the 2000 Triumph WSM specifying an end float measurement, just the 5lbf ft adjustment.

yes I suppose that makes sense with a new seal because you could do up the nut to remove slackness but be up against the seal instead of the bearing so that when the seal later beds in it will leave excessive play. However if the seal is unchanged I wouldnt have thought this procedure is necessary.... 

Having used Taper Bearings in many aplications over a lifetime, It was always the case that a small amount of Slack was desirable. The taper headstock bearings on Large Industrial Lathe`s where no different. The only time we used "pre load" was on the 8ft+ bearings of the type seen on Centurian Tanks (for one), and Large Excavators.

Uncle Pete`s Method is the correct one for this type of bearing. Nip up, back off to the first split pin hole and you are correct. Small movement at the rim when fitted is necessary to avoid seizure.

P.S. If the MOT guy tell you different, refer him to the Timken bearing information source.

Pete.

7 minutes ago, johny said:

I always find it strange though that in our diffs all the taper bearings are perfectly happy being preloaded😮

Not sure?. But I think the pre-load you speak of is to get the inner races in the correct position?. It`s so many years since I did a Diff, but I believe the bearing/roller clearance is then set by the use of shim`s?. Someone, with more recent experience than I, will be along to correct me I would suspect?.

Pete

back in the 70s it was found the idea of packing the hub cavity with grease just stores heat and does nothing to lubricate anything   just a waste of grease and can adversly affect 

the cooling of the brakes   so  dont do it 

on these types of axles the outer ing rotates about the axle  the inner race has to rotate on its axle or you would never remover the hub and it does protect the bearing from road impact by turning the big D washer will show rotational marking its quite normal .

the 2000 range front hubs  has an oil seal not a felt so there is no felt compression with these 

the rear hub bearing on swing axles has the outer with rotational clearance  within the trunion housing 

2000/stag /Tr6 the rear bearings are a different ball game all together  I have not striped one to compare if the races are allowed to rotate in the hub assy  

this is a general design used for these  sorts of applications   

the only area of pre load is the diff pinion and crownwheel bearings as these must not move from their settings under the varying loads applied 

and they are splash   lubricated not relying on a few dabs of static grease 

Pete

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...