pinky pinky

alan.gilbert_6384

Hi All,

Thought I would canvas some advise on dynamic advice timing, I am using super unleaded 95 RON, with an unleaded head on a 1500 spitfire.  I have noticed pinking under loaded acceleration so reduced from the standard 10º BTD to 8º BTD.  I still seem to have some pinking under loaded acceleration, and was wondering what everyone has, and do they also get the pinking ???

Thanks very much.

1 hour ago, alan.gilbert_6384 said:

super unleaded 95 RON,

something wrong there    super 95  Nah !!!       

all the  "super" and  other named are 97  or better 95 is for side valves and motor mowers its bound to pink at factory static timing 

you need to retard it probably more 6 d  than 8d  then you loose power gain heat and its not how they are designed to run  having an unlead head has no bearing on 

timing or fuel   but it meeds to be better than 95 E10   many 97+E5  like esso has no E added at all. but the label has to say its got it 

so up the fuel  you will gain MPG and run at the right power output 

Pete

i have always used sainbugs  97 in both the Vit6 and now the 2000   both set to 10 deg as per spec 

at 12 the 2000 does think about pinking 

often due to the vac unit being over advancing on a criuse , there are variety of vac specs available

if you get a pink opening the taps from a cruise  when the vac advance   is at its most 

on some delco you can reduce the vac advance by adding a split fibre washer on the vac capsule piston   which is exposed 

Pete

15 hours ago, Iain T said:

Has it just started? Have you changed petrol suppliers? If you can try Tesco Momentum or Esso Synergy 99. 

Iain 

99 octane is best for our cars and it's E5 not E10, so kinder to our cars' fuel system.

As Iain says, Tesco Momentum or Esso Synergy, and Shell V-Power is equally good. Tesco is cheaper.

Nigel