Exhaust Bracket for Mk2 Vitesse

SteveT57

Can someone tell me where the front exhaust bracket(151343) for a Mk2 Vitesse is attached to? Is it one of the bolts on the bell housing? Does anyone have a photo of this area? It’s not clear from the Haynes manual or the spare parts book. When I purchase this car, this bracket was missing and they weren’t available, but James Paddock now has them in stock, so I'd like to fit it.

Thanks,

This should help, Thanks to Canley Classics website.

Going from Memory, on the Mk2 Vitesse there is only one rear silencer, this is supported at the rear on the Hanger off the Boot Outrigger and also near the Diff support crossmember

At the front there are supports for the exhaust pipe at the bell housing and also near the rear of the gearbox I think? 

Regards

Gary 

triumph-vitesse-exhaust-and-petrol-systems.jpg

45 minutes ago, SteveT57 said:

Thanks, but that looks like a another exhaust to me. The Mk2 has two rubber attachment straps, one just before and one just after the silencer. The front bracket is rigidly mounted using a twisted metal part.

Yes, your description is as shown.

For the two rubber straps, check out items 24 and 28 on the diagram.

For the front bracket, see part 5. A lot of after-market exhausts over the years have adopted a different style of bent metal bit - that diagram shows the factory fitting. Similarly, many after-market fitting kits omit the mid-chassis hanger, item 10. That's an error in the fitting kit, not in the diagram.

In my free to download Triumph workshop manual theres drawings of both Mk1 and 2 systems (neither is the diagram above) and the Mk2 does use a twisted metal strip for the first fixing. Unfortunately the manual doesnt say where this attaches for the Mk2 but the Mk1, which uses a different arrangement, bolts to the corner of the block sump. However by looking at the relative positions of the two systems fixings I would guess the twisted metal bracket of the Mk2 bolts at the gearbox iron case to rear housing joint....

Here's the info off the Rimmers site which does show only one front mounting near the vicinity of the Bellhousing and the rear silencer the correct shape for a MK2 Vitesse.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the Exhaust changed halfway through production of the Mk2, with the front pipe in two sections then changing to one piece

On my old Vitesse which was manufactured in June 1970 the rear mounting pipe mounting position was before the silencer and was definitely off the Differential crossmember, there was no mounting bracket for the front of the Silencer on the Boot Outrigger which I believe was the original, the rear silencer bracket was on the Boot rigger though.

I know the Heralds and probably the earlier Vitesse models had 2 Mounting brackets on the boot Outrigger for the front and rear of the Silencer.

I suppose so long as everything is securely supported then it doesn't really matter where the supports go

PS - I always though the front mounting was a bit of a waste of time as it is quite near were the exhaust downpipe fixes to the manifold anyway.

Gary  

Exhaust Fittings and Mountings - 2 Litre Mk2 - PDF.pdf

Hmm... I suppose this wouldn't be the first time the official parts catalogue differed from the official WSM...

I'm fairly sure the first exhaust hanger should be to the engine backplate. There probably should then be a second one (with a rubber strap) to a bracket on the chassis just behind the gearbox / propshaft flange. You would probably get away with just one strap to the back of the gearbox casing / rear extension / OD adapter fitting. It may be that the factory did so as a cost cutting exercise, and the diagram in the WSM reflects that where the parts catalogue doesn't.

1 minute ago, Gary Flinn said:

PS - I always though the front mounting was a bit of a waste of time as it is quite near were the exhaust downpipe fixes to the manifold anyway.

It's definitely not a waste of time on a 1500 Spitfire!

That first bracket supports the exhaust relative to the engine, not the chassis. In doing so, it considerably reduces the strain on the manifold flange bolts, and thus extends the life of the gasket.

• Like 2

Ive just noticed that the same manual says the GT6 front mounting bracket is fitted to the 'gearbox extension bolt' and its located on the exhaust just AFTER the curve section that goes round the gearbox drain plug and not, as in the diagram above, before so Im convinced at least some Vitesse also used the same fixing point.

To me it makes sense as that means the exhaust has the best possible support with fixings as far apart as possible (manifold and gearbox) to minimise the joint stress while the engine/gearbox moves around....

Heralds use the same point; on my 13/60 at least it was bolted to one of the bolts on the rear gearbox casing, so I replicated it on my 1200 as well. I also found the same attachment on a club member's 12/50 too. Not a great photo with my (red) 13/60 gearbox but you can see it clearly in the other shot. 

IMG_0486.jpg.09b2dad88d65b22a641298329ba1bf3b.jpg IMG_2385.jpg.97e9241f54c65e41b81444fb0e5793b4.jpg

Taken from the Parts Manual this 13/60 Exhaust looks as if it mounts higher than shown in Colins Photo`s, as the bracket is shown at 90deg to the pipe and not vertical?. Mine is stored under the roof, and is I think a full aftermarket Stainless one. so may have some difference?

Pete

379660039_13-60Exhaust.thumb.jpeg.edac5801ec9d14b435508536425936ee.jpeg

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the above info. The image that Gary provided is the one in the Haynes and Triumph official manuals, and also on the James Paddock and Rimmer's websites for the Mk2 Vitesse. The twisted metal bracket closest to the manifold does look tricky to fit, as I don't have a set of ramps, and I'm not sure of the accessibility of that area if I tried to access it from the top after removing the gearbox cover. I've replaced the 2 rubber-strip brackets either side of the silencer and the exhaust pipe feels pretty rigid in that area, so I will probably leave it until I can get proper access to it.

Thanks again.

SteveT

30 minutes ago, SteveT57 said:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the above info. The image that Gary provided is the one in the Haynes and Triumph official manuals, and also on the James Paddock and Rimmer's websites for the Mk2 Vitesse. The twisted metal bracket closest to the manifold does look tricky to fit, as I don't have a set of ramps, and I'm not sure of the accessibility of that area if I tried to access it from the top after removing the gearbox cover. I've replaced the 2 rubber-strip brackets either side of the silencer and the exhaust pipe feels pretty rigid in that area, so I will probably leave it until I can get proper access to it.

Thanks again.

SteveT

I ran my viytesse for 13 or so years as my everyday car, and later herald estates for another 7. Non had that front bracket fitted, none had an issue. Yes, the 1500 twin outlet is a different kettle of fish (I fixed it by enlarging the studs to the same as the vitesse, plus getting the mating faces smooth/flat)

The most important exhaust mount has always been the one from the diff. Or maybe that is just my experoence.

Heres the one from the free to download workshop manual and not very clear but I think you can make out the front mounting with the twisted metal strap (part 5). Either attaching to the bell housing or gearbox extension will have to be done from underneath the car... 

image.png.a99794d6ceb8820991a52e53e6b7a830.png

The 13/60 doesn't have a diff mount. But does have a mount from the boot outrigger to the rear of the silencer box. In other words there are two mountings on the rear silencer. The correct/original boot out rigger for Herald has two brackets for  mounting the silencer. Where as the Mk2 Vitesse only has the one. There is a hole drilled in the diff carrier on the 13/60 Herald, so if you want you can fit this mount.

Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dave.vitesse said:

The 13/60 doesn't have a diff mount. But does have a mount from the boot outrigger to the rear of the silencer box. In other words there are two mountings on the rear silencer. The correct/original boot out rigger for Herald has two brackets for  mounting the silencer. Where as the Mk2 Vitesse only has the one. There is a hole drilled in the diff carrier on the 13/60 Herald, so if you want you can fit this mount.

Dave

Sounds like the early GT6 too; silencer had one attachment under the boot floor and another on the diff itself. Heralds have two on the rear outrigger but the main pipe then dangles all the way to the manifold, where all the weight especially during bumpy driving is taken by the exhaust flange nuts. Ok so it's a thin lightweight pipe and I've never yet heard of one pulling completely off but a mount mid-way, in the area of the gearbox, might help, but entirely up to the owner. 

• Like 1

On 29/09/2022 at 08:06, dave.vitesse said:

Dave

Interesting. I have always used a diff mount, usully a bit of hanging strap with a hook at the bottom, then a U clamp to fix it in place. I can't see a downside as long as it is positioned so it is not causing any stresses.

138MM UNIVERSAL STEEL RUBBER EXHAUST MUFFLER HANGER STRAP BRACKET MOUNT HOOK

• Like 1