Replacement engine and gearbox

Pdv

Hi,

I have just bought a 1500 MG engine and gearbox.

Has anybody fitted one to a Herald please and any tips help would be most appreciated.

The gearbox came without a gearlever, does the Herald one fit?.

Will give it a good clean and then find any identification to help with any parts needed, looks like sump gasket set for example.

Thanks 

Steve 

Pretty sure the gearbox is the single rail one as fitted to Spitfires. In which case finding a three rail one to fit with the 1500 engine would be easier as the single rail gearbox is longer. And no the gear-levers are not interchangeable between three rail and single rail boxes. 

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, the engine and gearbox are complete so no problems with the splines, but was going to separate it to check if the clutch is ok.

Was surprised that the gearlever was not present will contact the seller, if not Mathew I will be in touch.if that is OK.

Thanks

Steve

No the splines only become a problem if you change the gearbox because the new one you have is 1" longer than the old so your existing propshaft maybe too long. Good idea to check the clutch and then when unit installed drive it a bit with the gearbox cover off to confirm all ok👍

you will also need to consider the speedo as that will be out if using the single rail gearbox. Plus I would consider gearing, as the 1500 engine is a more torquey lower revving unit than the 1300/1147. I had a 1500 in my MK2 spit (also 4.11 diff) and it was under geared but ok as I have overdrive. maybe swop to a 3.63 from a spit 1500?

If you decide to stick with the herald gearbox (speedo will be fine and no custom propshaft) then you can use the herald clutch and flywheel, though you would have to drill the flywheel bolt holes to take the larger 7/16 ? bolts, this is what I did with my spit. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DanMi said:

maybe swop to a 3.63 from a spit 1500?

Definitely swap the diff. We put a 1500 into a Herald with a 4.11 and it was... good for a laugh. The 3.63 diff transformed it.

3 minutes ago, DanMi said:

you can use the herald clutch and flywheel, though you would have to drill the flywheel bolt holes to take the larger 7/16 ? bolts, this is what I did with my spit. 

That's what we did, and I've now got that engine/flywheel with a Mk4 box in my Spitfire.

If you use the single rail box, a vitesse non od (or big saloon) propshaft will fit 

However, the herald uses small flanges on the gearbox and diff, single rail is big flange. 

A swap to 3.63 diff would sort that, but the driveshafts have the same issue. The very late 4.11 diffs are handy as you can swap the quarter shafts with the 3.63 fixing that issue. 

As you have noted, you need to swap the sump (I think) but any hearald/spit sump gasket will fit. It will also give you teh chang-ce to easily inspect the crank bearings, do not pass up the opportunity. 

I like a 1500 herald. I have had a few, but I have always kept the 4.11 and used overdrive. Makes a very quick little car, still cruise at 70+ all day. 

5 minutes ago, johny said:

And I bet Steve thought this swop was going to be straight forward😭

That is my concern. Easiest is to use the existing gearbox, and using a morris minor clutch plate (I think) nd see how it goes. In fact, it will go very well, but run out of revs at 70. 

11 minutes ago, johny said:

Clutch is easy as Rimmers list a 10 spline 7.25" friction plate GCP103 for non UK 1500 Spitfire (apparently some of these had a 3 rail box)... 

Yes, 1974 US model, using the same clutch as a 1500TC. It may well also be the same as a Morris.

No what looks better is to keep the flywheel and bigger clutch of the 1500 but with new 10 spline 7.25" friction plate (GCP103) and then as you say all hydraulics and thrust stay the same.

The first gear ratio of the Herald 3 rail box however is quite a bit lower than that used in the Spitfire 1500 so for it to remain useable changing the diff becomes even more important....  

Hi All,

Well yes it did seem easy at the time.

So where to start, I purchased this  as a complete unit ie straight out of a car, so in theory it can, apart  from a few things to change it should be relatively straightforward. 

I initially asked for a Spitfire 1500 engine and gearbox, the person I bought this from is well known and has been trading for years and he said what I have got is a very good MG engine and gearbox with no mention of any issues flitting it.

OK so I think I have a 1500 spitfire engine as fitted to MG Midgets with a Morris gearbox, I was told that a 13/60 manifold will fit and I purchased a stainless exhaust as well.

I will need to change the flange on the gearbox as it is to big as has been said, the engine  mounts are different but i have some and had a look and I think they will fit, they are smaller so not sure they are OK for a heavier load.

I have a shorter prop if that is required.

Thanks for all the replies.

Steve

Pretty certain the engine and gearbox are the same for 1500 Spitfire and Midget. I think perhaps you should install it with a prop thats shorter, if required, and has the rear flange changed to match your existing diff. You can then drive it and decide later if you want to change the diff for another ratio....

I have the same ie Midget 1500 with single rail gearbox, which has been modified to a 3 rail with J Type O/D, the engine has been rebuilt and awaits fitting in a Spitfire, maybe!

The only difference I found with the gearbox was the rear mounting where a cross bar is fitted into the mounting to limit the gearbox's rotation I assume as the midget's gearbox is mounted in a tunnel & could when accelerating rotate enough to hit the close confines of the tunnel. 

If you have the shorter prop then it is pretty straight forward. 1360 exhaust manifold is fine, the engine mounts for all 4 cylinder small chassis Triumphs are the same so no issue there. The sump I believe will need swopping and if you use the 1300 one it may need bashing to clear the front crank big end 1500 has a "lump". The only other issue will be getting the speedo accurate, cars with 3 rail boxes changed the ratio by using differently calibrated speedos the single rail had different drive gears to give 100 turns per mile.

• Like 1