Bars Leak or similar for core plug leak

TRevver

5 hours ago, JohnD said:

So, stand far enough back from the fence, and your stream will have dropleted before it hits, and there is no connection to your, er,  terminal.    Volunteers to prove this fact should form a queue.

John

Well who's going to do their Phd thesis on that one?

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

There was a Tragic, and allegedy true, case back in the 50`s. Behind a factory was a small patch of grass which was regularly used as a Urinal. Over time the  stink became so intense the windows could not be opened as it ofended the ladies in the office. Enter the "handyman" sheet of steel placed where it became a target, and one day became conected to the 240V mains. End result?, death of a "customer" and a "handyman" doing time at his majesty`s pleasure for Manslaughter. NO RCD`s back then, and no fuse in,the circuit either. Aparently not uncommon in very old factories?. What fusing there was often had been "uprated"!. I`ve Changed fuses on older ships and it was not uncommon to find 30amp fuse wire in a 5 amp circuit.

Pete,

Some factory RCD's were 100mA. I turned to pick up my wire strippers, picked up the wrong brown wire and counted about ten cycles. I was cursed for causing a factory reset. No sympathy at all.

I fitted a 10mA RCD on my bench after that.

7 hours ago, Wagger said:

Some factory RCD's were 100mA. I turned to pick up my wire strippers, picked up the wrong brown wire and counted about ten cycles. I was cursed for causing a factory reset. No sympathy at all.

I fitted a 10mA RCD on my bench after that.

A friend who has a TT (rural house, so no supplier earth, he has earth rods in the ground at the front and back of the house)

He "currently" has a 500mA RCD fitted, which I guess was the standard for the time. Thesedays, a 100mA time delayed RCD is the first part of a house on a TT system, but 30mA RCDs (not time delayed!) should be fitted in the main consumer unit(s) 30mA is the level where it is unlikely to cause any harm to a human. 

I have managed to find a 100mA RCBO to fit my consumer unit to feed my garage board. That can then be fitted with a 30mA RCD, so if any issues the garage one will trip and save me the walk to the understairs cupboard. And the supply to the garage will still have RCD protection. I could just use a 10mA RCD in the garage, but I would probably get a lot of nuisance trips.

10 hours ago, clive said:

A friend who has a TT (rural house, so no supplier earth, he has earth rods in the ground at the front and back of the house)

He "currently" has a 500mA RCD fitted, which I guess was the standard for the time. Thesedays, a 100mA time delayed RCD is the first part of a house on a TT system, but 30mA RCDs (not time delayed!) should be fitted in the main consumer unit(s) 30mA is the level where it is unlikely to cause any harm to a human. 

I have managed to find a 100mA RCBO to fit my consumer unit to feed my garage board. That can then be fitted with a 30mA RCD, so if any issues the garage one will trip and save me the walk to the understairs cupboard. And the supply to the garage will still have RCD protection. I could just use a 10mA RCD in the garage, but I would probably get a lot of nuisance trips.

I designed Pat testers for Clare instruments in the 1990's, so know the regs for that time. 'Experts' get shocks. Complacency can set in, even under the bonnet. I recently removed plug leads on my 'As designed' Vitesse using insulated pliars. Still felt it.

Sorry for the drift. Will read the title and do a 'U' turn nexy time.

It was only a Little drift? A leak from the engine, to a leak from electricity, via a leak from a persons private parts?😁 of course it might have been a Leek, which is vegetable?.

P.S. Don`t you just love the English Language👍

Pete

You say very true, scald knave! If you can mock a leek, you can eat a leek, look you!

Ahem!   Drift is as drift does, this is not a debating society, but more like a pub table.   Wagger, I fear your "insulated" pliers, weren't!  Or else the insulation on the leads.

Have I told how I defibrillated myself?  About 2500Volts and 400 Joules.     Fortunately through one hand, not from hand to hand, or it would have stopped my heart.    It was an accident, or my incompetence, with an early model defib - they can't do it now!

John

Yes JohnD. Creepage down dirty leads and cracks in the insulation on the pliar handles. Should have looked for that. All of my tools are 20+ years old. Some even have my training school clock number stamped on from 1964.

I have some Bars Leaks liquid somewhere. When found, it is staying in the bottle and will join other ancient potions on the shelf.