Bars Leak or similar for core plug leak

TRevver

Just changed the core plugs on 2L mk1 Vitesse. Did the job with loctite 574 to seal around the plugs but have a small weep from one of the plugs. Can't find Bars leak pellets anywhere - even on usual auction site they have to come from USA.  Can anyone recommend the best product to plug the weep without damaging the rest of the system?

I agree with JohnD. What was different with the fitment of that plug compared with the others? However, I have used Radweld for such things to buy time. In fact I towed my son's estate car up Detling hill with my 1972 BMW 2500. Top hose burst due to pressure building in the system. I used Radweld and had a replacement hose in the boot. Got both cars to sittingbourne where he lived, all downhill.

I waited until the car had cooled down. Re-torqued the cylinder head and it never used any water for another two years. It stopped the heater working properly though. Sold the car to another fan who had a BMW 2800 for spares.

I you continue to have problems, even if you change the plug again, then use something similar but I advise bypassing the heater. If you stop the leak, drain, refill with proper coolant and re connect the heater when sure that the leak is cured.

We have hard water where I live and plumbing leaks on hot water systems here self seal after a few weeks. Taps seize though. Really need a water softener.

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

and NEVER pee on an electric fence.

wouldnt it be exciting or hysterical   

is this from experience Colin ????

ive got M&S underpants   they are hopeless , trying to extract winky you either get excited or a wet leg 

there is no way in  when youre in a rush 

Pete

• Haha 1

That electric fence trope is an interesting one, because of fluid dynamics(!).

Turn a tap on, slowly.  The water comes out as a continuous stream but look further down.  It breaks up into individual droplets!  No contact between them!   It's down to the surface tension of water, that tries to make the surface as small as pissible possible, which is as drops.  The point at which this happens depends on the flow rate - after all, we have all seen a "drip" in hospital. The flow into the vein is seen in the chamber below the bag of fluid and is usually so slow that the drops can be counted, either by a nurse or a machine.   15 drops= millliliter.      

So, stand far enough back from the fence, and your stream will have dropleted before it hits, and there is no connection to your, er,  terminal.    Volunteers to prove this fact should form a queue.

John

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There was a Tragic, and allegedy true, case back in the 50`s. Behind a factory was a small patch of grass which was regularly used as a Urinal. Over time the  stink became so intense the windows could not be opened as it ofended the ladies in the office. Enter the "handyman" sheet of steel placed where it became a target, and one day became conected to the 240V mains. End result?, death of a "customer" and a "handyman" doing time at his majesty`s pleasure for Manslaughter. NO RCD`s back then, and no fuse in,the circuit either. Aparently not uncommon in very old factories?. What fusing there was often had been "uprated"!. I`ve Changed fuses on older ships and it was not uncommon to find 30amp fuse wire in a 5 amp circuit.

Pete