Triumph Stag oil pump drive shaft

Colin Lindsay

Just spent three hours working on a Stag engine; it was meant to be tuning carbs but the rest of the engine was in such a state I never got near them. The alternator was actually moving backwards and forwards as the engine cranked, so that had to come out. NOW: 64000000 dollar question - is the oil pump drive shaft meant to be a spiral, or straight? I've searched online for new ones, which are straight; but were original versions spiralled? If not, this one has seriously twisted and I reckon the oil pump is Donald Ducked as well. 

IMG_4348.thumb.jpeg.73a46b9bed2cc0a170fb10621efb4945.jpeg

It was a known failure on Stag engines back in the day. Apparently Unipart had a batch of very poor oil filters on which the cardboard gaskets came unstuck and moved, blocking the oil passages, creating enough back pressure to stop the pump and twist (or even break) that drive shaft.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Firefly said:

Colin that pump shaft has a serious problem. Robsport are correct, a Stag should never have more than 50 psi oil pressure.

Mac

I reckon so! I wonder what on earth caused that to twist like that - resistance from the oil pump? (Given that the drive teeth are on the distributor end) That has taken serious force to do that. I know the PO has told me that he replaced the pump but given the state of the oil that we drained on Thursday it wasn't today nor yesterday; he may not have the old spring to reuse. £7 from Robsport. Sadly I think this Stag will end up like my Herald; the deeper I go, the deeper I have to go, and one repair is going to lead to another. 

I know quite a few people who have had Stags. With great patience and precision the engines are restorable. Owners have improved many of the shortcomings and design flaws. V6 fords sheared distributor drive shafts and cam wheels. Not totally unrelated causes.

I cannot understand those who never change the oil and shortcut services.

3 hours ago, Firefly said:

This is why we love old cars..........there`s always something to fix.  Robsport had the correct new springs re-manufactured about 3 years ago, they are a reliable suppliers of good parts for a Stag.

I bought one, but was wondering - if the current units are wrong, and Robsport sell the proper spring.... shouldn't they fit the proper spring and sell the pump as correct?

• Like 1

(shouldn't they fit the proper spring and sell the pump as correct?)

In an ideal world they would, but sadly most C/C spares suppliers just want to sell us `stuff`,  with little regard to quality. The original pumps were made by Holbourne Eaton and were fit for purpose, but I think any NOS were used up a long time ago. The only available new ones now are made by County to a suitable quality apart from the spring, and they seem to take no notice of people informing them that the pump is delivering too high a pressure, that`s where Robsport stepped in. 

Just me being logical.

"The pumps are wrong, we sell them and we know they're wrong, but we'll also sell you the part you need to put them right again. Otherwise we'll just tell you they're wrong and if you banjax your engine, don't blame us for selling the wrong part, as we've told you, and rather than NOT sell the wrong part at all, we'll just do it this way and sell it anyway, so that you can make it right." :)

4 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Just me being logical.

"The pumps are wrong, we sell them and we know they're wrong, but we'll also sell you the part you need to put them right again. Otherwise we'll just tell you they're wrong and if you banjax your engine, don't blame us for selling the wrong part, as we've told you, and rather than NOT sell the wrong part at all, we'll just do it this way and sell it anyway, so that you can make it right." :)

Alternatively we should be grateful that they give a warning. If only vendors did for the poor calipers, rotor arms, condensors, brake pads, engine mounts and ....I could be here for days.

I applaud Robsport for their honesty. If you don't want their pump buy elsewhere. But you will need to fit the old spring or a new one from Robsport. They won't want to be modifying components at all as then they will bear responsibility for any issues. Instead they let the paying customer eiither fit the new spring or bear the consequences of not.

We  should all realise by now, No one takes responsibility for anything these days. They have "rights", but being responsible?. Noooooooo, got to be someone eslse`s fault!. Anyway, get it wrong and some bu88er will sue you. T-V is full of add`s by "ambulance chasers".

Cynical??? Me??, what makes you think that?.

Pete

Lol apologies to all, long drive of 200 miles yesterday and not enough coffee so was very tired and possibly even grumpy... :)

BUT: it just seems wrong that a supplier can sell a part which is wrong, tell us it's wrong, and sell us the part to make it right again. If it was me, I wouldn't sell the incorrect part at all for fear of some poor Triumph owner fitting one and damaging his car, because he either didn't read the warning, or else had no other choice of alternative part. Would you sell brake pads that didn't work, then tell prospective buyers that they may not stop you, but if you want to buy them, it's your car / life? 

I can just see the TV ad now: "Were you knowingly mis-sold an incorrect oil pump?"

• Like 2