GT6 MkII Alternator and Battery Recommendations

Jason_Wood

I have a 1970 GT6 MkII that I’m in the process of getting back on the road (after 13 years off the road!). I would like to replace the alternator as I believe it has the original and I don’t want this or the battery to be a problem. 

Does anyone have the best recommendation for which alternator to go for please? Likewise, it needs a new battery, again best recommendations please (or even if there is an ideal alternator-battery pairing?)

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Jason

Jason,

A lot of us use the 063 battery, I get mine from Euro Car Parts, cheapest they have at the moment is a Lion for £45. ECP have a sale, it seems monthly, so prices rise and fall.

Being original is not a reason to replace the alternator, mines an original 1973, OK it's had problems, new diode pack, new brushes, but I would wait to see how yours performs before flashing the cash.

Doug

31 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Jason,

A lot of us use the 063 battery, I get mine from Euro Car Parts, cheapest they have at the moment is a Lion for £45. ECP have a sale, it seems monthly, so prices rise and fall.

Being original is not a reason to replace the alternator, mines an original 1973, OK it's had problems, new diode pack, new brushes, but I would wait to see how yours performs before flashing the cash.

Doug

Thank you for this advice. I’ll get a new battery, get it going and see what the results are. Is there a decent way of testing the alternator apart from ‘my battery doesn’t appear to charge”?

2 hours ago, Jason_Wood said:

Is there a decent way of testing the alternator apart from ‘my battery doesn’t appear to charge”?

Voltmeter on the battery. Before starting, you should see 12V or thereabouts. Once running, that should begin to rise, and after a bit of time it should settle around 13.5 to 13.8V (how long that takes depends how well charged the battery is). Put on some electrical loads (headlights) with the engine speed about 1500RPM and the voltage shouldn't dip. If it behaves like that, the alternator is good.