How to start your classic car

alan.gilbert_6384

Hi All at Tssc,

I know this will seem obvious to the majority of you guys, but I had loads of spark plug issues until I realised what I was doing wrong.  Later I found this video which is very helpful to us less experienced users, please let me know what you think.  

So for my spitfire 1500, from cold, coke is all the way out, then as soon as it fires this goes in to about 1/4 of the travel, to just before the fast idle position.  This stops the plugs getting fowled up on the over rich mixture.

I have not watched that whole video. But my experience is that full choke is only needed on a stone cold engine with Air temperature well below 10C. NO choke if engine is warm. Temps just now are circa 12-15 and my cold engine stars with 1/2 choke and straight in to 1/4.

Remember if car stood for a day or two and you have a mechanical fuel pump, it can toke a dozen or two cranks to get fuel to the carb/s.

If this is the situation, leave choke off until fuel through.  If electric pump, listen and wait 'till pressurised.

What is/was your problem with plugs?

38 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

I have not watched that whole video. But my experience is that full choke is only needed on a stone cold engine with Air temperature well below 10C. NO choke if engine is warm. Temps just now are circa 12-15 and my cold engine stars with 1/2 choke and straight in to 1/4.

Remember if car stood for a day or two and you have a mechanical fuel pump, it can toke a dozen or two cranks to get fuel to the carb/s.

If this is the situation, leave choke off until fuel through.  If electric pump, listen and wait 'till pressurised.

What is/was your problem with plugs?

Hi, they would black up with carbon due to the over rich mixture of too much coke after initial start up, this would cause a miss fire and rough running and sometimes permeant damage to the plug.  I only realised this after inspecting the plugs and using a spark plug cleaner (pic attached).  This was also IMG_3170.jpg.8fd2bc6b19ab9de58a3e58a3abaf85bf.jpgafter many hours with a colour tune to make sure the mixture was right when hot.  This cold start method stopped the fowling of the plugs and is much better now.

Good. You do not say what car you have but you must ensure that pulling the choke on causes the throttle to open too. There is a screw adjuster on to a cam beside the cable. Revs go up massively with more than 1/4 CHOKE and you certainly know when to push it back in !!. Hope you are not on this Coke you keep mentioning, unless it is cola :) !!??

• Like 1

many plugs now made do not have the porcelain glazed  this allows rich mixture to contaminate and breakdown the spark

there has been lots of discusion it seems bosch still glaze the insulator  and a few went to W78  but they are not overly available 

you dont want plugs with any R in the suffix as the resistive nature does reduce our low HT   some used them  but there are many a misfire found to be R plugs 

not helping matters 

Living in Manchester 50 years ago on the Mini's it used to be full choke to get started then in a bit as soon as the engine would run on a little throttle and gradually push it in until it didn't stall.  

Growing up in Glasgow in the 50's my Dad would wait until the temp gauge on his A70 moved a touch to be sure the oil etc was warmed up before driving off, he said it was to reduce wear but I've no idea if that is an old wives tale or not.

13 minutes ago, foshi said:

better to start on choke drive the car push the choke in as soon as the car will run with out it less engine wear that way .

I'm not sure it's less wear that way but it certainly causes less trouble. If you let it warm up at idle then it takes a long time and cokes up the cylinders. If you drive with full choke for longer than you need to then you can get bore washing (petrol dilutes the oil) and significantly increased wear. So the "start up and drive off" method is best, but try not to drive it too hard until the oil is warmed up a bit.

I've set my choke so when fully open tick over is about 1200 rpm and the enrichment discs (CDS150 carburetor) are fully rotated. I  started the car after a six week layup and albeit with an electric pump it started on the second go. I then push the choke in half way. Seems to work......so far🤞

Iain 

If the thermostat is working properly it should not be necessay to blank the radiator. The Wolseley 1500 (1958 to 1965) had a radiator blind that was cable operated from the dashboard. My pal had an overheat because he forgot to release it.

My Vitesse has never needed full choke to start beause it is in an attached garage.. Many of us have been caught out buying low mileage cars in the past that have never travelled far enough for chokes and enrichment devices to be turned off. In a previous club a 20,000 miler had worn out bores due to fuel washing the oil away. Start, push choke in to about a quarter, drive off asap and shove hard against the dashboard as soon as possible.

• Like 1