Oil Pressure Gauge Feed Pipe

Stratton Jimmer

I know this isn't strictly electrical but the oil feed pipe to my Smiths dual gauge (Oil Pressure and Water Temperature) has started to weep at the gauge end. The pipe is only 30 inches but Caerbont Automotive only sell a 78 inch pipe. Does anyone know where I might source a replacement pipe of a more suitable length?

Make sure you get good quality pipe, had an engine bay fire on a kit car when the oil pipe split & sprayed oil all over the exhaust, luckily it was running in the garage with the bonnet up & I had a fire extinguisher to hand, took days to clean up the mess the powder made.

Cheers, Steve.

13 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

whats the design of the pipe end    a small flange + fibre washer or flare or olive  ???

Pete

Flange and fibre washer at both ends. Hope this photo shows it: The tube protrudes from the inner brass fitting by a couple of mm and there is a fibre washer atop it.(It may be rubber but without ripping it apart I can't tell.)

Oil pipe end.jpg

It is the pipe that is damaged. I suspect that this type of plastic pipe deteriorates over time. The damage is before the union too which means it isn't possible to repair it without fitting a new union. From memory, I think the internal brass collar is crimped onto the pipe as it has to withstand pressures up to the 90psi range. I would prefer to replace the whole thing with either  a braided or (as suggested) a copper pipe.

55 minutes ago, Stratton Jimmer said:

It is the pipe that is damaged. I suspect that this type of plastic pipe deteriorates over time. 

I'd guess that's true; I have one to fit to my current car but suspect the pipe is original, so won't risk using it. Might try these guys once I work out what length and fitting is needed:

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/search?q=oil+pressure+pipe