R6 fuels lines good enough?

TwigNshiz

Looks like it should run over the back near the skin and come out through the floor behind the rear wheel. The original was metal running along the underside of the car, clipped to the chassis, and up to the top of the tank where there was a short rubber pipe to connect to the tank outlet... 

35 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

think R9 is now    Gates Barricade  at R14 as sold by club shop 

from Gates     Barricade® Fuel Injection Hose | Gates Corporation

take care much fleabay /aftermarket stuff is   low grade (fake) and you will get early life problems 

Pete

oh i see so a rebranding ? or is it better ?

24 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Yes, Gates Barricade is the stuff to go for, I had some fake R9 fail spectacularly, it decayed internally and turned into a one way valve.

Doug 

Awsome thanks just not sure why someone would put r6 in i thought that was for diesel and oil etc

5 minutes ago, johny said:

no apparently R6 was used for petrol carburettor cars in 70s and 80s but isnt enough for fuel injection and so of course never designed with ethanol resistance in mind...

got ya and with e10 being a thing now thats a big problem hence R9

1 hour ago, TwigNshiz said:

oh i see so a rebranding ? or is it better ?

R14 is low predssure hose that is ethanol resistant. So "different" to R9.

R9 is possibly more common as it is suitable for injection cars. The important thing is to buy from a proper supplier (NOT AFS on ebay! theirs was fake, no idea if it is OK now or not, but why take the risk) GAtes, Coden, Cohline. All proper stuff.

22 minutes ago, clive said:

R14 is low predssure hose that is ethanol resistant. So "different" to R9.

R9 is possibly more common as it is suitable for injection cars. The important thing is to buy from a proper supplier (NOT AFS on ebay! theirs was fake, no idea if it is OK now or not, but why take the risk) GAtes, Coden, Cohline. All proper stuff.

smashing awsome thanks

11 hours ago, johny said:

Are you sure you dont want to install the Triumph design of metal pipe? You can use copper which fits in the correct clips that use the existing holes along the chassis and might even work out cheaper...

no i havent looked in to it i will do tho canley classics sell a kit i think the pipe bending looks like a pain tho. would it hold up better ?

I just bought a length of copper pipe and found it very easy to make smooth bends in it by hand along the chassis and up at each end to the fuel tank and pump connections. Hopefully your clips are still in place as they are shared with the front to rear brake pipe...

43 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

there is no reason the main chassis run is not done with a nylon/plastic fuel pipe it thats more suited to how you wish to run /fix  and easy to fit compared to metal pipes 

just an idea  

pete

that was my idea plastic main section then copper from the pump to the carb, im also trying to future proof the lines as i have some ideas for engine swaps down the line

hmmm not convinced by plastic/nylon pipe as unlike metal it will want to straighten itself out so for example where it passes through the front outrigger and then has to turn quite sharply through 90º to come up to the fuel pump theres no existing location for a fixing to keep it in place....

• Like 1

I'm with johny on this. The nylon pipe used on later big saloons is all very well if the routing is designed for it, but for a Herald you need pipe that can be bent to shape. Copper is easy to do (although I do use a proper pipe bender for the more dramatic bends).

• Like 1