Point of Diminishing returns

TwigNshiz

Hi i just sadly found a bunch of very poorly done repairs, at this point not even sure if its worth doing my self as it looks like a body of type job. not sure see what you all think

in order

.drivers foot well

.drivers A pillar

.inner door skin

.boot arch

.boot mounting

.right chassi

.right arch exterior

.right arch interior

thanks - twig

20221201_124557.jpg

20221201_124656.jpg

20221201_124751.jpg

20221201_124831.jpg

20221201_124841.jpg

20221201_124937.jpg

20221201_125044.jpg

20221201_125135.jpg

well where to start   its had a  floor panel welded in at some time but the Apost (common rot) was not addressed

the boot outrigget floor and inner wheel arch patches look rough but normalish

the other zones look  pretty awful   a body off and full rework looks most likley 

cant quite figure out what on earth was going on with your last shot but   Crikey !!!

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

well where to start   its had a  floor panel welded in at some time but the Apost (common rot) was not addressed

the boot outrigget floor and inner wheel arch patches look rough but normalish

the other zones look  pretty awful   a body off and full rework looks most likley 

cant quite figure out what on earth was going on with your last shot but   Crikey !!!

Pete

yea given it was sold to me with no rust great condition im rather miffed. last pic is rear arch right side

59 minutes ago, clive said:

Only the arch and the a post are a vague concern, but should pass an MoT. 

The welding is very much "workmanlike" but run a grinder over it and some seam sealer and it would look fine. 

If you can weld, it should be pretty OK if a little fiddly. 

for sure i just wasent intending on a rather in depth resto

one thing forsure  youre certainly getting to know your car     they do grow on you as you proceed  but 

keep an eye on the wallet drain   when its all up and running you will smile again 

it may take a little while and a bit more work than you initially expected but its worth all the ups and downs 

most of us have bought what seems a reasonable car and found it turns into a learning curve 

as my dad always said they have more reason to sell it than you have to buy it 

we have all done it 

dont despair   the smiles just round the corner 

Pete

26 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

one thing forsure  youre certainly getting to know your car     they do grow on you as you proceed  but 

keep an eye on the wallet drain   when its all up and running you will smile again 

it may take a little while and a bit more work than you initially expected but its worth all the ups and downs 

most of us have bought what seems a reasonable car and found it turns into a learning curve 

as my dad always said they have more reason to sell it than you have to buy it 

we have all done it 

dont despair   the smiles just round the corner 

Pete

thanks man your kind words and wisdom mean alot thank you

I valued a GT6 recently, looked stunning, but lifted the boot carpet and the spare and there I could see the road wheel through the rot! The owner had no idea and was deeply distressed! It happens to us all.

Have you ventured out to your nearest Local Area meeting? You're in Southampton, I think Wessex meet in Christchurch. There will be lots of help and support and you don't even have to be a member.

Doug

10 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

I valued a GT6 recently, looked stunning, but lifted the boot carpet and the spare and there I could see the road wheel through the rot! The owner had no idea and was deeply distressed! It happens to us all.

Have you ventured out to your nearest Local Area meeting? You're in Southampton, I think Wessex meet in Christchurch. There will be lots of help and support and you don't even have to be a member.

Doug

yea sucks, and no i havent made it out to one yet i should make it a priority

We’ve all done it . My intro with my Vitesse was a baptism of fire in that it’s first trip resulted in the diff blowing up as the previous owner had replaced the diff & forgotten to put the oil in. 
5 years on and I’ve still got her 

9312449A-2E30-4AD5-A6FE-46D37F32ED9B.thumb.jpeg.fcc6e9b5f99ab052dc86c76ab1255097.jpeg

Paul 

14 minutes ago, Paul H said:

We’ve all done it . My intro with my Vitesse was a baptism of fire in that it’s first trip resulted in the diff blowing up as the previous owner had replaced the diff & forgotten to put the oil in. 
5 years on and I’ve still got her 

9312449A-2E30-4AD5-A6FE-46D37F32ED9B.thumb.jpeg.fcc6e9b5f99ab052dc86c76ab1255097.jpeg

Paul 

ooo ouch

just a word on local area meetings  you dont have to be in a classic , or a member  just a smile and chat is all it takes  

when the cars a runner join in any local runs and join the club if you feel the benefit is what you need and youre happy with whats provided 

Local area's need support they are "local" they all do things differently , club HQ is a more distant benefit , we have an amazing HQ but thats a good run from down south

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

but thats a good run from down south

Pete

Made me think. So I put it on google maps. I may well make the effort, as by my calculation it`s only a short detour from my usual "prefered" route south via the A46 to Near Aldermarston, where youngest son lives in a Thames Barge on the Kennet and Avon.

Will the Car Park take a 26ft Motorhome, towing a car?.

Pete