Steering wheel cover recommendations

mark powell

I have the 15" 'banjo' type steering wheel in my pick-up which lost it's leather cover some time ago.  Now, following some rather damp weather, the wheel has decided to shed a load of black 'gunk' on my hands....  So, can anyone recommend a replacement leather cover? Ebay seems to show several, but before parting with my hard saved money, I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction?

14 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I recovered my Herald wheel with one of the eBay kits, cost about £7 and no problems so far.

IMG_3518.thumb.jpeg.c23fbff1f4b486165e7cc0f556356adb.jpeg

I've done that on the same wheel fitted to my Midge. However, I feel it looks too 'chunky' and want to revert to the original stitched look.  Modern steering wheel covers seem to be made for modern 'fat' wheels.

17 minutes ago, mark powell said:

I've done that on the same wheel fitted to my Midge. However, I feel it looks too 'chunky' and want to revert to the original stitched look.  Modern steering wheel covers seem to be made for modern 'fat' wheels.

I have fitted two covers, one to my TR6 & one to an L322 Range Rover, both came from the same source - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154015835338?hash=item23dc0f24ca:g:f2YAAOSwKaVfFy1Q&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA8PXRdLzT16VAFtfU%2Bndrq68vbPa9P6cJ11yMwixKwUxQvYlBGbZlUeFkBQv5pJgz14zwVleRv4%2Fq%2BhJigsckyhSYew09jA6U24ZJ19JF5H3mRyb%2FHGdJS8gy7QENjlp%2Bhhc1L9Q1S%2Fb%2BmwVSlGhIjhGvO1X3%2BQJsAztf%2BZrdgNe0vYk7eUu9u5RcYnwAjrjlrVzo0qauRdkfVKWGe5IryPLH%2FcxpRVD2HOFcjx7VwHsKa6dN8GNeKYcSWBMA07POBLRBN%2F%2B3sTkjzQ2oJEUeOSPIFaq09x0i6eMTQpfeUPaCRxFJHcLuaNgj4iZYAMB4rA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBMzvWao5ph my wife sewed them on without any difficulty.

8 hours ago, mark powell said:

Looked at them.  Are you happy with them?  I would have to stitch these on myself, as SWMBO has arthritic fingers..

I will be buying a third one for the Formula wheel on my GT6 at some point, I'm happy enough with them. The TR one its showing some signs of wear but it prob has c.10k miles on it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Following on from my original query, I have gone down a different route.  The gungy wheel from the pick-up has been removed and replaced with the wheel from my Midge which has the 'cheap' binding type covering. It never looked good in the Midge anyway.

The gungy wheel has been cleaned with solvent cleaner and allowed to dry. A purchase of jute twine (£9.99 from Amazon) has resulted in a nice bound wheel to complement the style of the car.  The ends were tucked under and twisted into the binding and loose ends carefully cut off. A coating of exterior satin varnish was allowed to dry thoroughly and then lightly sanded to remove any 'stringy' bits.

I won't know what it will be like to 'handle' until we have moved and the Midge is released!   I am well pleased with the look though!

P1290425.JPG

On 29/01/2023 at 20:04, 68vitesse said:

Got some off cuts of leather from an upholsterer's and recovered my Vitesse steering, just watched a couple of utube videos, turned out ok.

Regards

Paul

Just done that very thing this winter for one of my cars, not exactly Moto-Lita quality but I'm happy with the end result which cost peanuts compared to new.

Steering wheel1.jpg

Steering wheel back.jpg

• Like 1