Main Bearing Caps - Spitfire 1500

Fergusminto

I have inherited an already stripped 1500 engine. However, the main bearing caps have been mixed up! I can see which one is at the rear (recesses for the thrust bearings) but the other two do not have any markings. Anyone have any suggestions? Also, which way round do these caps fit ie shell recesses on same side or opposite each other? Thanks.

12 hours ago, JohnD said:

Fergus understands, do need pictures?

32 minutes ago, Fergusminto said:

Maybe “non-member” should join the Club and build on his knowledge.

Is it actually necessary to be insulting just because I asked for clarification of a statment that could have been misleading to other readers who are not "73, rebuilt many an engine"?

On this vein, A mate stripped a mini engine.  I honed the bores for him, left him to build it up. 

He called me a week later. The crank wouldn't turn. 

He had randomly fitted the big end and main bearing caps from what I can remember. Took me an hour or so to sort it out.

I am not certian all triumph engines hads the main caps stamped from the factory, most I have rebuilt have been rebuilt before and have a variety of types of ID. From punch marks to file marks and some even have numbers stamped. 

But I too am unsure how to interpret Johns comment about opposite.  I am certain the notches go next to each other? (as in the same side, almost touching each other)

2 minutes ago, johny said:

sorry Clive that last bit has got to be impossible as the bearing shells halves are identical so you cant put two notches together. Reckon its notches both on same side of journal but one towards front of engine and the other towards the back....  

Yes, that is what I meant. They are the same side of the journal, not opposite sides. See, it is easy to get confused!

my 1147cc main caps had no markings and were taken off by the machine shop and not labelled. so they just put the 2 on and ran a measure around them to figure it out, took the guy about 30 seconds. He also said although one way was better the caps either way round would have been within tolerance

On 19/01/2023 at 10:52, NonMember said:

Is it actually necessary to be insulting just because I asked for clarification of a statment that could have been misleading to other readers who are not "73, rebuilt many an engine"?

I agree, Nonmember is very thorough and more of a perfectionist than me. Ambiguity is very common. Common sense is not. Tolerance is the key, disputes are unnecessary. Much better to be polite.

I have some number stamps so always use my own marking system before disassembly. My brother in law once stripped a mini 1000 engine throwing all parts randomly in a box. All of the con rods are different, so it took my 'Fitter' brother ages trying to match it all up. In fact, it ran like a dog and had to be sold before it shook all dental fillings out.

On he subject of markings it is very easy to get it wrong. Offside and nearside are dependent on which side the steering wheel is. On tranverse engines, number 1 cylinder is nearest to radiator on some. On V engines it becomes a nightmare. Then we have those pistons with offset gudgeon pins. (Honda 50) has an arrow on it. Did it mean forward or Upwards? (The cylinder lay almost horizontal). Therefore, use yor own markings before stripping and note it.