Pete Lewis

we have a lady member that her Spitty decided to konk out on route to work  and knowone has got it running , so she asked for help 

so one of my locals  John B popped over being  to have a look see  lots of things in need of TLC but all he got was a single kick on cranking 

it would atempt a fire with quick start , all fueling clean out but no change , I met him at the car and we went through all the basics again ...still Pop  and no show

so in desperation swapped the 123 for a dizzy of rays old Coupe  and bingo  Va Va Room   she runs 

so those experts on 123 any  clues  why it refuses to pass a spark , and coil and wiring all swapped to eliminate 

the 123 seems a basic unit (no clues ) ( the led lights )   it 2 yrs old  and worked ok till the breakdown  but now only gives a 1 cyl pop on cranking 

the 50yr old transplant  dizzy fires immediately

Pete

yes i read about the coil voltage getting cut after 1 second  which maybe  suits the one pop and die  episode .

battery voltage when i visited was 12.5   and it had had a lots of cranking , when we got her fired up battery was showing 14.3 soon after starting 

so basic state seems good .

the car was driving ok and just died without warning and stayed dead till dizzy transplanted .

she has ordered a accuspark and we await to fit it 

Pete

• Like 1

accuspark unit fitted  fired up imeadiately   and running fine but initial road test has now failed due to a fueling problem in the  jet tube  which was cleared on first twiddle event   .......... its back 

this car is a bit of a mess  oil everywhere and much misguided medling gone on its a fight to the finish 

there are times you wish you never started but if we can save a member thats what is all about      we're on it 

Pete

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

what do you know the accuspark unit has a  permanent line to earth so there is no triggering the coil  

add to fel jets having twisted tubes and 2 0 rings jammed in the chambers , 

simple bult test showed  12 from the coil but the dizzy doesnt trigger  just earth the coil so its back to the drawing board of frustration , fit the old herald dizzy and points and 

away she roars  so the acu  unit is destined for returns ( do i hate these things ) there is little to test to prove something daft is not going on 

but a bulb on the dizzy line is just permanently lit 

so its source a used /new unit  no more electronics and the thing runs a treat

i wonder why we get involved witha nightmare 

Pete

accuspark are sending out a replacement module to try  thats positive  Thanks 

so its again watch this space  but  with 4 visits at 40mile round trip is getting frayed 

with perpetual snags and poor results plague this car full of unkown misguided repairs and neglect does help

Grrrrr      Pete

That'll be the problem Pete, they do fail as theres a lot of electronics packed into a small space and it has to deal with quite a bit of power in an arduous   environment☹️ Its because of this I keep a spare module (any one will do as long as its correct polarity and you have the small allen key) in the car so if needed I can just change over the plastic encased sensor without distrubing the mounting plate and ignition timing... 

• Like 1

well the new accuspark  lasted less than 1/2 mile before it died The org failed 123 was about 2 yrs old 

if you all need to carry a spare thats not bode well for any reliability .

yes they are very cheaper than the other add on's but 

myself had 15 yrs with Aldon and currently  8 yrs with lumenition without a single hic up   seems to say it all really  

Pete

4 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

currently  8 yrs with lumenition without a single hic up

I actually can't remember when I fitted the Lumenition to the GT6 but it was at least 20 years ago. The only problem it's ever given me was when somebody disconnected the pickup harness and didn't re-connect it well enough. However, the Vitesse's one was disconnected by the PO, presumably due to a fault, and I've been running it on points for the last 20 years with no problems. (As a random aside, I made reference to that in my first published short story, "Girl on a Bike", in the "Ghosts and Demons" anthology.)

i just put a pea bulb on the coil dizzy and earth if it triggers the lamp will flash  same as with points 

providing the coil has a feed then 

if it doesnt blink theres a power loss and if its on all the time the line is permanently earthed  

the end result is  you know its wrong ,  more tea vicar  ????

both the 123 and the accu  have a permanent  line to earth  so  no trigger for the coil to discharge its HT     is dead 

I dont have a bathtub !!!!   just a shower     I could go nextdoor and test the bathtub theory but she may not be ammused 

Pete

The problem with electronic ignition is that the open time for the electronics is just a pulse so you cant hold 12v on the coil outlet for any length of time like you can with points when open. Then I know some units have variable dwell (closed time) so dont know what effect that will have on any testing.... 

14 minutes ago, johny said:

the open time for the electronics is just a pulse

That is not universally true at all. In fact it's the closed time that's likely to be odd, in "closed loop" dwell types (which may well appear S/C on Pete's test because the bulb isn't enough load). Most of the cheap / cheerful ones are still fixed dwell and work very much like points. There are very good reasons NOT to stretch the closed time (which a pulsed open time implies) if you aren't doing closed loop dwell.

15 minutes ago, NonMember said:

That is not universally true at all. In fact it's the closed time that's likely to be odd, in "closed loop" dwell types (which may well appear S/C on Pete's test because the bulb isn't enough load). Most of the cheap / cheerful ones are still fixed dwell and work very much like points. There are very good reasons NOT to stretch the closed time (which a pulsed open time implies) if you aren't doing closed loop dwell.

When Ive tested my accuspark units Ive never managed to get them to stay 'open' although maybe thats because Ive used a multimeter on resistance or Ive not been precise enough with the magnet but it certainly seems like a pulse...

Pete the reason I carry spare Accuspark's is simply convenience & cost because when I brought them 20 years ago they were around 25 quid ea and shipping of 4 units was only marginally dearer than 1 & was a major part of the overall cost. I also reasoned if I had to replace the unit on the run I wouldn't have to retime the ignition just change the module over, if I switched back to points I'd have to retime. I still have the unused spare units one each for the Vitesse Lucas, & Delco for the Spitfire as the mounting plates are different!

The Vitesse Accuspark replaced a Luminition Optic unit that failed, it's replacement cost would have been many times more expensive than the Accuspark which doesn't require a separate control box, and the small module neatly fits under the distributor cap.

I have a Luminition Magnetronic in the Sprint as it fits under the std dist cap and the Accuspark won't, it requires a different dist cap which due to it's height got very close to a cylinder head stud/bolt.

• Like 1

replacement module fitted   and runs like a bag oof nails  

we have replaced checked everything that moves 

why this little car is so troubled we have began to give up and thats not our normal success

the spark is on 10deg and stable but runs like its timing is all over the place bit like a failed condenser , pops bangs and fires out the intake 

wont restart  looking like ign switch has a problem on its crank contacts there is some hit and miss going on

doesnt explain why she dies  but its in the frame for a replacement 

failed smiths valve diaphragm replaced 

tappets have a gap 

one carb needle seriously bent , now straight  

tried new  RB fuel pump as old is a bit feeble but as reported many times it just flooded the carbs so its off 

fuel is cloudy  but has addatives added  ???

fitted new jets as tubes were terrible found 3 old 0 rings jammed in the bowl

removed R spark plugs for BP6ES 

new coil runs /revs on the old herald points dizzy but not road tested 

need to do a compression test just to verify health 

have revisted this over and over as you begin to untrust your own judgement and thats unusual 

the thing idles but runs like apig  then just stops dead 

we have spark  and suck squeeze bang  blow  but the thing is resisting to the point of where are the matches 

Pete

Rob we have got a can to rig a seperate supply  its on the list to do , i dont like the look of it and its one common denominator not yet swapped out 

it had been filled and about half a tank used prior to its initial dying,   she does (did ) use a lead addative 

it doesnt explain  why a 123 and two accu  seem to seriously misbehave 

its mech rev count so thats not interfering 

when it fires up it almost seems the firing order is on some random selection 

once its all cleared it idles and revs free nicely  but under any load   kaput cough splutter wheeze  die 

if it had a condenser  it would be the culprit    the old herald slave  works fine 

cant for all my years put a finger on what the heck is playing it up ,  but a pretty violent gremlin is at work 

pete

In Montreal in 67 building an oil refinery for BP I had a Renault R8 Gordini which developed conditions of power loss and backfiring it was the distributor drive cog that had somehow lost a few teeth, the Renault Agent Tricolour Garages pulled it out replaced it and the car ran great. I regretted having to give the car back to them at the end of the 8 month contract, went like stink.