Intermittent Wipers

Darren Groves

A year or 3 ago I added intermittent wipers to my Herald using one of the build it yourself jobbies from Maplin and it has worked pretty good but it was a bit of a bulky solution. I decided to swap it out for a Universal 5 Pin relay which gives a 5 second delay. The relay works by switching through terminals 3 & 4, however with the wiring as suggested it's switching a positive circuit, whereas our wiper motors switch on the negative side.

I had a very quick play to make it switch the negative but couldn't get my head around it, so is there anyone out there that knows how I can wire it so terminals 3 & 4 are negative rather than positive.

Thanks

Darren

wiper001.jpg

Recommended wiring from supplier

wiper002.jpg

How our wiper motors are wired.

Doug. i did a upgrade to 8mm  (?)  wide arms adjustable and longer blades ,just adjust to miss the top of the rubber 

but the thicker arms load the blade far better than the originals,    

if there was a arm  to take aeroquip style blades  then we would have a good set up,  most of them take a much wider thicker arm with a hook or clip

used these guys   https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/parts_index/wiper-arm

takes a bit of sorting spline size arm lengths , blade fittin, and blade lengths

but armed with a woollies tape and a length of string all s possible 

Don't know why people go to these lengths, my wipers have two settings, slight mist and light drizzle. :lol:  I wouldn't mind some ideas on how to keep the wipers tight to the windscreen and improve visibility!

Gaffer tape the wiper arms to the screen... then remove the entire assembly, bin it and look out through the hole. Simples! (sorry... couldn't resist it... )

However... the stainless deflector arms that are sometimes seen on sale for these must help slightly - I have a set, but haven't fitted them yet so can't confirm.

I must admit I like the idea of the intermittent wipers.... can someone post, or send me the full details?

I must admit I like the idea of the intermittent wipers.... can someone post, or send me the full details?

Hi Colin,

I wrote about how I done this a couple of years ago for The Courier using a kit from Maplins, but if you CLICK HERE you can find the same article.

The Club Shop sell the Smart-Screen kits which seem good, but a little pricey. Couldn't find them on the online shop, but they were advertised in the Mag that's just arrived or go direct to the manufacturer here: http://www.smart-screen.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d13.html

I have overcome the problem I initially posted, I am using the delay relay to switch a standard 4 pin relay as these can be switched as positive or negative, seems to work fine.

Hi,

I bought a kit for my twin speed motor a few years ago but have not got round to fitting it yet.

It pulses the wipers when the windscreen is wet and changes speeds depending how wet the screen is.

Additionally, can auto switch the headlamps on if desired.

Cost about 100 quid I think. Must get round to fitting it once I can get a decent set of arms and wipers that are fit for purpose. 

The rain drop sensor would have to be fitted on the nearside as fitting it TDC like a modern would not work as the blades don't clean here. LOL.

Cheers,

Iain.

Best thing I did for the wipers on my GT6 was buy a set of NOS Trico PRB2-12 wiper blades off EBay - they're the correct curved screen blades and are curved in the right direction, which is more than can be said for the modern parts I've tried (Tex). Worth looking out for them - they come up from time to time and do work with the orig 7mm arms.

Gully