Vitesse Convertible Mk2 Overdrive Wanted

Puglet1

15 hours ago, Puglet1 said:

Gary. We viewed the Valencia blue on Friday and are viewing a white one tomorrow. I will give feedback on both cars shortly.

Josef. I agree, you can get a massive variation in colour match from one tin to another. As I have never owned a Valencia blue car, I couldn’t tell whether it was the right shade or not. I don’t think an exact colour match on the underside of your car is anything to worry about…… unless you’re a hedgehog crossing the road 😀

Here's another nice looking Convertible with Over-drive I've just seen listed to add to the mix?

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1553411

Regards

Gary

7 hours ago, Gary Flinn said:

Here's another nice looking Convertible with Over-drive I've just seen listed to add to the mix?

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1553411

Regards

Gary

Hi Gary.

We have just returned from a 7.5 hr / 400 mile round journey to look at the white one that was advertised in the club classified section. I am pleased to say we are now the proud owners of it. We had previously looked at the Valencia blue one as advertised on EBay and was also a 6hr round trip. I was extremely disappointed in it and could go On and On about its condition. Needless to say- I now understand why it hasn’t sold despite being advertised for a while.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Puglet1 said:

Hi Gary.

We have just returned from a 7.5 hr / 400 mile round journey to look at the white one that was advertised in the club classified section. I am pleased to say we are now the proud owners of it. We had previously looked at the Valencia blue one as advertised on EBay and was also a 6hr round trip. I was extremely disappointed in it and could go On and On about its condition. Needless to say- I now understand why it hasn’t sold despite being advertised for a while.

Congratulations!!

I look forward to seeing it some time in the future at one of the Shows (Silverstone in June maybe?)

If you need any help or advice ask away.

Here's to a hot dry summer and plenty of top down motoring 😎

Regards

Gary

22 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

good to see the club members classified worked for you and you now have the spring and summer to get the smile  

Pete

I’m hoping to get “the smile “ next week on our journey home. It’s only 200miles which might seem a bit risky in a 50+yr old car that I’m not familiar with but hey ho it will add to the excitement!

just keep your phone charged and have your recovery number ready    you wont need any but thats the best if things dont go well

the cars are reliable .  lasted 50yrs   but in unknown world of a maiden voyage in the unknown  a sandwich and flask can be useful 

It will be fine    let us all know 

but a club car has been loved (one hopes) and better than the unkown from a trader 

Pete

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Puglet1 said:

It’s only 200miles

From where to where?. There`s always the RAC, AA, Green Flag. precaution I assume?. Best of luck ,a hope you enjoy👍 I personally, would take the A/B roads, avoid M-Way`s like the plague. And be prepared to travel smelling the roses?. With Mobile phones it`s not the hassle it would have been when these cars where new. I`ve still actually got an AA box key somewhere!.

Pete

• Like 1

On 23/02/2023 at 12:28, Puglet1 said:

I’m hoping to get “the smile “ next week on our journey home. It’s only 200miles which might seem a bit risky in a 50+yr old car that I’m not familiar with but hey ho it will add to the excitement!

Did you manage to get your car back ok at the weekend?

Done it a few times; Preston, Liverpool, Birmingham, Coventry, Southend on Sea... all in unknown Triumphs purchased off the Net and all driven home via Stranraer. All pre-mobile phone days too! Most important: check tyre pressures, oil and water before you start off, plus the coolant hoses, and bring both oil and water with you for emergency topups that will enable you to drive off the main road to somewhere safer. I've driven for two hours up the M6 in a GT6 with the rear tyre at 15 psi; only noticed when I pulled in for a break. Motorways are - once you join them - a great way of listening to a car and seeing how it drives without bends or braking; there are no distractions and plenty of service areas to puling for rest and repair. Just sit in the inside lane at 60 and let the blast from passing HGVs blow you across the hard shoulder. The only worry is that the car may not have been used much in anger for some time, and a blast up the motorway, or on any road, at a constant and relatively high speed for an hour or two may push a component or two over the edge.

Definitely worth it once you get it home, though.

Hi Colin. That’s given me more confidence. I will check and top up fluids and pressures as you have suggested. Eye’s will be scanning the gauges and ears peeled for any abnormal sounds. I reckon if no abnormalities occur after a few miles I shall relax and enjoy the steady plod home.

• Like 1

On 23/02/2023 at 12:46, PeteH said:

From where to where?. There`s always the RAC, AA, Green Flag. precaution I assume?. Best of luck ,a hope you enjoy👍 I personally, would take the A/B roads, avoid M-Way`s like the plague. And be prepared to travel smelling the roses?. With Mobile phones it`s not the hassle it would have been when these cars where new. I`ve still actually got an AA box key somewhere!.

Pete

Pete H. From Sussex to Worcestershire. Hopefully won’t need either of the breakdown services but am signed up with them just in case🤞

3 hours ago, euan douglas said:

Don't you have a breakdown service through your classic insurance?  I do, with Lancaster.

Good luck.

Euan

Euan. I haven’t taken the classic insurance out yet, not sure who to go with. I will check companies out tomorrow. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.

Pete 

Nearly all insurance gives you breakdown cover. However, one of the 'Perks' of CAMC membership is discounted Green flag cover. They will get you to your destination or back home from anywhere in the UK with your car and caravan. Used it once with a caravan and another time for a motorway tyre failure (with a faulty new tyre). I was very grateful. Personal cover included also in any vehicle.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wagger said:

Personal cover included also in any vehicle.

Beware the small print. Green Flag's definition of "any vehicle" has a 15 year age limit, which thus excludes not just all my Triumphs but both of our "modern" daily drivers, too.

• Like 1

i am with green flag , have my 20 year old van and herald on it , when i took it out i had to declare both vehicles over 15 years old and are listed on my policy. the said as long as i notify them i can add more . i am covered for any car that i travel in home start plus the classics £125 a year paul

So are we saying that the breakdown cover that is offered with the classic car insurance is not worthwhile and you're better going with the AA,RAC etc., or is it not as simple as that?  I think the Lancaster cover is provided by Silver Knight.

3 hours ago, NonMember said:

Beware the small print. Green Flag's definition of "any vehicle" has a 15 year age limit, which thus excludes not just all my Triumphs but both of our "modern" daily drivers, too.

Thanks for pointing that out. I will double check with them when I request transfer to a different motorhome. I was told that it is the 'Person' that is covered, not the car. The CAMC version does take account of us 'Oldies'  providing backup if taken ill. Very important for some of us.

6 hours ago, euan douglas said:

So are we saying that the breakdown cover that is offered with the classic car insurance is not worthwhile and you're better going with the AA,RAC etc., or is it not as simple as that?  I think the Lancaster cover is provided by Silver Knight.

No I think its the other way round: if you sign up separately for a complete get you home service there could be an age limitation on your vehicle whereas classic car insurance by definition must cover older vehicles but just to get you to the nearest garage...

5 hours ago, Wagger said:

Thanks for pointing that out. I will double check with them when I request transfer to a different motorhome. I was told that it is the 'Person' that is covered, not the car. The CAMC version does take account of us 'Oldies'  providing backup if taken ill. Very important for some of us.

Some do that, others will cover a pre-registered car only. This was the main difference between the AA and the RAC way back when I worked for them, one covered the person (I think the AA?) no matter what car he was in, even as a passenger. This probably led to serious abuse so was cut back. It's rare these days to cover one driver for any car. 

6 hours ago, Wagger said:

I have the "arrival" RAC cover via the CCC, now in the 20th year. This provides cover for Me for any vehicle I am in. It also still covers my Motorhome even though it is over 3,5t. Not now available to new members BTW. It is worth checking if yours is over 3.5t

Pete

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

I have the "arrival" RAC cover via the CCC, now in the 20th year. This provides cover for Me for any vehicle I am in. It also still covers my Motorhome even though it is over 3,5t. Not now available to new members BTW. It is worth checking if yours is over 3.5t

Pete

No Pete, I can only drive up to 3.5 T. I did not risk keeping the higher tonnage because I was ill at the time and may not have passed the medical. I am sticking with 3 tonne max now. The drive takes a six metre MOHO and a 5 metre estate car.

• Like 1