Herald / Vitesse convertible b-post trim pieces

Colin Lindsay

Can anyone get me a few good photos of how the two trim pieces on top of the b-post / hood frame mounting points look on either Herald or Vitesse? I'm trying to recreate an original look on a heavily modified Herald tub, which has all sorts of welds and seams that aren't original,  but can't remember how the trims look when correctly fitted - none of my attempts look right to me. All assistance appreciated!

Colin I'm sure I've seen them available on eBay in the not too distant past, in fact I think there are a couple of versions the one's I have being one part on the B post and the long side strip, another version I've seen has the B post cover in two separate parts.

Colin just checked eBay look up https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175618208320

Set not cheap at 60 quid Spitfire Graveyard, hope it helps

12 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Colin just checked eBay look up https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175618208320

Set not cheap at 60 quid Spitfire Graveyard, hope it helps

Screenshot2023-02-28at08_53_48.png.7c612bc969cee02fbeb526cce10be1ce.png

Dealt with that seller back in the day, long long ago and didn't have a great experience.

Those are actually quite cheap, I've seen them much more expensive in the past, but I do have a few sets; they're just tatty and in need of work hence the idea of alternatives.

57 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Screenshot2023-02-28at08_53_48.png.7c612bc969cee02fbeb526cce10be1ce.png

Dealt with that seller back in the day, long long ago and didn't have a great experience.

Those are actually quite cheap, I've seen them much more expensive in the past, but I do have a few sets; they're just tatty and in need of work hence the idea of alternatives.

I’ve bought lots from SpitfireGraveyard and always had value for money 

Paul 

2 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

I thought NI was part of UK, cheeky bug**r won’t buy from him!

Issues with N-I? Allegedly Political/Brexit.

Currently awaiting a reply to E-Mail from them, Ref; a Front Screen. Mine bust getting it out. So in the market for a replacement. Rimmer are £160 plus £45 shipping. (although I could easily collect for just cost of fuel).

Pete

One company I've just had an e-mail from told me 'their machines aren't set up to deliver to NI.' I've just purchased from another company that posts the same product free, with seemingly no bother at all.

But, yes, Pete, a lot of the problem is political; not economic in the slightest, although many firms just don't want the hassle of form filling and Customs. The problems I've had returning an item to The Netherlands recently is a perfect example -they could send it to me INTO Northern Ireland ie the UK, but I can't send it out as believe it or not it's a prohibited item under EU rules and no carrier will take it.

3 hours ago, PeteH said:

Issues with N-I? Allegedly Political/Brexit.

Currently awaiting a reply to E-Mail from them, Ref; a Front Screen. Mine bust getting it out. So in the market for a replacement. Rimmer are £160 plus £45 shipping. (although I could easily collect for just cost of fuel).

Pete

Once drove several hundred miles to collect a screen after being assured it was in stock, when they went for it turned out to be computer stock, not Rimmer's but one of the main Triumph parts suppliers.

Regards

Paul

On 28/02/2023 at 15:24, 68vitesse said:

Once drove several hundred miles to collect a screen after being assured it was in stock, when they went for it turned out to be computer stock, not Rimmer's but one of the main Triumph parts suppliers.

Regards

Paul

Been caught that way myself. I now phone ahead and check it`s physically "on the premises" before I travel, even into Hull which is only 20 or so miles each way.

They (Spit; Graveyard) did come back, and have some stock, but will only do "collect" on screens. (can`t blame them, its a costly risk with carriers). Worked it out it`s a 2 gallon trip in SWMBO`s Car, so around £12 in fuel. Fortunately her car is CAZ exempt, Sheffield`s new CAZ went on line Monday, but I think only for Comercials?..

Pete

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

Been caught that way myself. I now phone ahead and check it`s physically "on the premises" before I travel, even into Hull which is only 20 or so miles each way.

Halfords did that with me; they were selling off stocks of Imperial ratchet spanners. I checked online, they had a set 10 miles from me. Got there, no spanners. The staff checked, there was a set in stock nine miles in the other direction from my house, so a 19 mile trip. I drove the 19 miles, no spanners. Halfords computer was showing them in stock in both locations, but not physically. Eventually I got a mate to pick me up a set from Belfast. Good stuff, still in much use.

• 1 month later...

Interesting all the actual B post covers I've seen in photo's and for sale are like yours ie 2 pieces, but the early Herald Conv rear tub I have here in Aus there a one piece!

So are there two variations early and later models OR is it Aust specific ie made locally by AMI for the CKD models where 20% of the car had to be made locally to reduce tax/import duty?

Here's a photo of my 1962 Herald Conv rear tub B post covers

Australian Herald B Post Covers.JPG

9 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Interesting all the actual B post covers I've seen in photo's and for sale are like yours ie 2 pieces, but the early Herald Conv rear tub I have here in Aus there a one piece!

So are there two variations early and later models OR is it Aust specific ie made locally by AMI for the CKD models where 20% of the car had to be made locally to reduce tax/import duty?

Here's a photo of my 1962 Herald Conv rear tub B post covers

Australian Herald B Post Covers.JPG

All the one's I've seen in the UK have been three part.

Regards

Paul

I think those one-piece covers were a very early part; there was one on eBay a while back and advertised as real hen's teeth. 

I like Paul's shiny versions - those are perfect for what I have in mind. Just highly polished stainless? Definitely got me planning and plotting now, making the edges would be the biggest challenge.

Edited by Colin Lindsay

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/04/2023 at 13:07, Colin Lindsay said:

Just highly polished stainless?

Yes, just polished stainless steel 20 gauge, made mild steel formers for the two smaller parts sandwiched the stainless sheet between two formers and held it together with pop rivets. Then hammered the stainless around the formers using a piece of steel pipe for the internal curve, only welding was on the external curve of the hook shaped pieces.

Regards

Paul

1 hour ago, 68vitesse said:

Yes, just polished stainless steel 20 gauge, made mild steel formers for the two smaller parts sandwiched the stainless sheet between two formers and held it together with pop rivets. Then hammered the stainless around the formers using a piece of steel pipe for the internal curve, only welding was on the external curve of the hook shaped pieces.

Regards

Paul

Excellent! Those look superb. Must start planning now... :)