Historic tax

Mr911er

Hi...someone will have been through this already...so help please..

My car was registered in November 1982...so its 40 years old...
But I've just had a tax renewal notice (for £295) from DVLA ...it expires on 31 March 2023, and there was me thinking it was exempt this year.

On the Gov.UK site it states... 'You can apply to stop paying for vehicle tax from 1 April 2022 if your vehicle was built before 1 January 1982'...but no reference to when 'you' can stop paying from April 2023...
I've done a bit of ferreting around on the internet (e.g. there is a leaflet INF34) and it looks as if I have to fill in a V10 form and take it to a post office ( :cry: :oops: :oops: )...and it is, in fact, exempt, even though I've been billed for it..

Any comments would be welcomed....especially if I can avoid having to visit a Post Office!

Thanks, Kevin

It was built after Jan 1 1982 so it's not yet exempt. The exemption should roll on, though, so it will become exempt from 1st April, but you have to apply for that status on renewal. It's probably not possible to do so online. If you want to avoid visiting a post office, you can go to your local DVLA office instead 🤭

DVLA Local Offices where closed some years back now. The one in Beverley (7miles) went. The nearest place for us now is a Post Office In Hull (20miles). Very few Post Offices can do vehicle taxation any more, certainly not Village Sub Offices.

Pete

20 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

My Post Office has trouble with stamps. :angry:

Doug

The Post just looses stuff consigned for the USA😭. Sent before xmas, still not arrived, never got out of the Country apparently?

Pete

I returned a rather large and expensive (and totally incorrect) item to a company in The Netherlands; it was returned to me a month later. Seems the company to whom it was returned never bothered to collect it from the Post Office. Can't fault the Post Office, they delivered it and returned it safely; but I suppose it saved the supplier the bother of refunding me.

3 hours ago, johny said:

so you ended up with the totally incorrect item and no refund either Colin😭

Johnny, it's a long story and one that, if it doesn't go to legal action, and I can be sure that I'm not leaving myself open to any kind of legal redress, will end up on here. It's a total farce from start to finish.

• Sad 1