Mk2 Vitesse seats

Puglet1

Yes, it is normal for the standard seats to catch the 'B' Post Hood well area when fully back.

There have been some opinions posted on here previously regarding the seats being different in the Convertible to the Saloon and I believe handed too, I suppose a Parts book would tell your for sure but I sold mine years ago.

I know there are slight difference in the internal construction of the Mk1 and Mk2 seats, which is detailed on the Newton Commercial website.

Regards

Gary   

and there is a conundrum with the front pivot bolt positions ,

does the seat sit properly aligned to the slide when its down  not off to one side??? 

the pivots  there are two on each front slide   you dont use opposites  but off set them  two holes on each  will adjust the height as well 

the off set is so the seats tilt and miss the A posts , many are fitted as what seems the obvious but its actually wrong  they should be in offset holes 

which to most of us seem odd    there is a reason

in general they are always close to the hood surround ,  so a quick tilt and look   one hole uses forward the other more rearwards 

both in the same height holes    

yes sounds daft but it works 

Pete L. That’s very interesting, I know that my drivers seat is set to the upper 2 holes. I shall start experimenting by setting the bolt hole nearest the door panel to the lower hole in the frame to see if the offset allows clearance between the seat and the pillar.

Thank you.

Pete

Seat Fitting

Problems can often be found with seats that have been incorrectly refitted after being removed.  There are some minor variations in detail over the models and period of production but I believe the following should apply to all variations.

Components and terminology:

Seat runners - fitted to the floor, have holes for the adjuster to register in. 

Subframe - runs on runners, includes adjuster lever on one side only.  Has two brackets on the front, each with two holes arranged one ABOVE the other.  On one side the bracket is square and straight, and on the other side the holes are set forward, so the bracket is shaped like a B.

Seat frame - on which seat is built.  Brackets at the front have two holes arranged one BEHIND the other. 

Fitting:

Seat runners should be fitted with holes to the rear,  fixed with 5/16" UNF bolts, and with 1/2" spacers (thick washers) under each bolt.  Captive nut on turret at the rear is FQ3406 (should be available from the usual suspects).

The sub-frames are handed: you should have a pair.  They should be fitted so that the adjuster lever and catch is nearest the transmission tunnel.  This adjuster should mate with the holes in the seat runner (but won't if the seat runner has been fitted back to front).  This ensures that the holes on the bracket on the door side are a smidgen further forward than the transmission tunnel side, i.e. the B shaped bracket is nearest the door.

Choose between the high and the low hole on the seat sub-frame.  This adjusts rake and/or height (with blocks).  Use the foremost hole on the seat frame bracket for the door side (ie the side where the sub-frame holes are further forward) and the rearmost hole on the seat frame bracket on the tunnel side.  This means that the seat sits square on the sub-frame.  The fact that the pivot point is slightly angled, means that when the seat is tipped forward, the top moves inwards and does not hit the A post/windscreen surround. 

C.

1 hour ago, Casper said:

Seat runners should be fitted with holes to the rear,  fixed with 5/16" UNF bolts, and with 1/2" spacers (thick washers) under each bolt.  Captive nut on turret at the rear is FQ3406 (should be available from the usual suspects).

I've seen mention of 1/2" seat runner spacers before, but neither my Herald 13/60 or my Vitesse had//have them fitted. My Vit has approx 1/8" thick packing washers under the runners and the fixing bolts are the original items I'm sure. I wonder if it was a design or cost saving change?

Could be that the later floor pressing (mines a mk1) was slightly different and the seat mounting points were all level so no need for the spacers to even things up. You could check this with some careful measurements and carpets removed but probably not worth it if the seats work ok...

me....... i prefer a long bolt through  the floor with a large reinforce washer to beef up the floor  

the idea of a spire clip in a heavy accident doesnt fill you with confidence the seat will stay secure 

yes i know it isnt locked down 

and the tilt will catapult you through the windscreen but when you live and drive  you need to feel  safe    ( or safer) 

and just use as many spacers as needed to stop the carpet bending the runners so you get nice and comfy getting the smile 

Pete