Vitesse boot badge for mk2

Iain T

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

THINK(!) this one is on eBay at present, it didn't come up under my normal search but seems available. 

Well spotted Sir! I phoned TRGB and they confirmed it is the correct badge so I bought it. The latest new part delivery from Rimmer was July sometime but he wasn't hopeful (it had already gone back 3 months) and Paddock said no idea.

It's a bit worn but then so am I....a matched pair! 

Thanks very much Colin

Iain 

Glad that worked, Iain. I searched online and had some weird site called morepartz.co.uk come up - it seemed a bit like these totally useless 'Worthpoint' sort of thingies, where they list a lot of items but everyone you click on is long gone. I've no idea who runs it but it seems to have come up trumps.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Iain T said:

I have found when searching for various parts some ahem dubious sites pop up. Just delete history and it's fine😂😂😂

Female Support Undergarments, are frequently amongs the "Finds", when one enters Triumph in the search line. Her indoors, refering to certain store with exotic wear to one of her lady friends, remarked "you, know that one that does the "tupperwear" (type) parties". I didn`t know tupperwear was that exotic?.

Pete.

What find odd is I search for things on my phone and 10 minutes later my wife gets pop ups for similar items on her phone. I know she has eyes in the back of her head and can hear a pin drop at 20 paces but controlling the interwebby thing is uncanny! 

Iain 

• Haha 1

Do Humbrol do a can big enough for the side stripes on my Vitesse?

Mine are 'Original' so really moth-eaten. Still cannot decide whether to do them black to match the replacement roof, or find some blue Vinylcote for the roof. Upholstery and interior are still blue so do any of you have Blue Vinylcote, or know a source?

3 hours ago, Iain T said:

Also arrived today along with the Mintex Ceratec!

IMG_20230426_162732.jpg

Talk about "Blast from the past", As a "Journeyman", just prior to going into the M-N. I refurbished the Dies for those tinlets. Back then they where made at the Metalbox factory in Hull, for the original paint supplier, also Hull, hence Humbrol, just a few miles away. They must have pressed millions of them. Bought Out by Chinese Interests as I understand it, Along with "Airfix". The tiny indents visible on the rim are made by the die when the rim is "turned" (rolled) onto the pressed body, complete with lid after filling.

Pete

Edited by PeteH
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, PeteH said:

The tiny indents visible on the rim are made by the die when the rim is "turned" (rolled) onto the pressed body, complete with lid after filling

I suppose a method of crimping. Odd that it's done after filling but there must be a reason. 

A school mate used to be a toolmaker at Airfix making injection mould dies. He used to be really proud showing us the Spitfire parts etc his die made. 

Edited by Iain T

13 minutes ago, Iain T said:

Odd that it's done after filling but there must be a reason. 

I was never sure, but one of the "old hands" said it was better to fit the lid/cap to the rim as the "stiffer" combination then "turned" better without distortion?. I understand it`s the same with the larger tins too. Of course most modern day paint cans are in any case "plastic".

Pete