Bonnet catch

Keith Nock

On rough Roads the drivers side bonnet catch has started popping open GT6 Mk 3. Is this because the latch on the body needs to have more tension or less on the bonnet catch . all the parts show no sign of wear and were new when i rebuilt the car . I think i probably need to adjust the drivers side bonnet cone maybe wind it down a couple of threads to allow for wear do you agree

Regards keith

Edited by Keith Nock

Ive had this recently and no adjustments helped so took a file to the cam that locks the mechanism. Ive made it for the roller to drop more into the cam profile and so stays there although of course this does mean slightly more effort is required to delatch it...

Many years ago, I did something similar with a Dremal as I had the same problem.  It has not jumped out since.  The depression only for the roller to rest in only has to be 1 or 2 mm.

• Like 1

Hi Peter

A bit drastic but a solution . I have adjusted the bonnet cone for now and will see if that works . if not then I will get the Dremel to the catches. I probably will not know for a few weeks as it happened to and from Cadwell Park on Lincolnshire's back roads which looked to have been repaired by a chimp with a shovel  and i was travelling at a brisk pace

8 hours ago, Keith Nock said:

Hi Peter

A bit drastic but a solution . I have adjusted the bonnet cone for now and will see if that works . if not then I will get the Dremel to the catches. I probably will not know for a few weeks as it happened to and from Cadwell Park on Lincolnshire's back roads which looked to have been repaired by a chimp with a shovel  and i was travelling at a brisk pace

Adjusting the cones did the trick on my Spitfire. 

i have drilled out the roller rivets and cleaned , greased and fettled the cam which wears , the over centre cam can be reprofiled to work ok 

refit with screws and nuts to replace the rivets the roller follower can get very seized and end up grooved as the cam saws it way thro the roller 

Pete

18 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

i have drilled out the roller rivets and cleaned , greased and fettled the cam which wears , the over centre cam can be reprofiled to work ok 

Yes if the over centre cam loses the correct profile I dont think hardening the bonnet down on the rubbers more helps. Itll still tend to flip undone☹️

The catch’s on the bulkhead can also wear with a Nick in the lip a little bit of weld build up and trimming easily sorts it. 
our country unmade roads that are just graded cause the catch’s to undo very quickly hence the permanent fix “bonnet locks”

• 8 months later...

A bit late but sorted the bonnet catch issue. When i looked closely the rubber cones on the bonnet were badly distorted bought a new pair of polyurethane ones, when fitted and adjusted that sorted the bonnet catch springing up

Regards keith