Oil filter orientation

Kevinrpayne

Hi there. The previous owner swapped the oil filter for a spin on one however the orientation of the filter ( at about the 8 o’clock post) has always made it a nightmare to get on and off as I can’t connect an oil filter wrench as the filer fouls the oil pressure relief and taking the old filer off was a problem and i dripped oil everywhere……

As I now don’t have the fuel pump in the way, I thought I could re orientate the whole set up to the 12 o’clock position ( which I have done and access is much better ) and was happy with until No1 son raised concerns that he had never seen another car with an upright oil filter

ive looked at the old one and can’t see any reason why it shouldn’t work. 

your thoughts are appreciated pls 

regards

kevin

4F988596-E8EE-44BA-BD56-13DA894F3336.jpeg

Nothing to stop this working in my opinion as theres plenty of modern cars with a similar arrangement although their paper filter sits in a vertical tube which makes for very easy changes.

However the idea of the spin on adaptor was that the filter sits closed end downwards (as much as possible) so always staying full of oil meaning on start up less time is taken filling it before oil gets to the bearings. With this in mind some cartridge filters come with one or even two non return valves (rubber flaps over their inlet ports) which, if mounted like yours, slow the emptying of the filter so its probably recommendable that you use this type....   

15 minutes ago, Steve P said:

The same as my 1500 Herald position, although I use a modern Mann filter which supposedly has an anti drain valve, doesn`t make any difference, I just spin it over with no choke until the oil light goes out.

You can see at least one of the anti drain valves if you look in the small holes in the base of the filter around the outside of the central threaded exit port. These holes should be blocked and if you gently poke something in the rubber flap that attempts to seal them will push inwards. Of course the downside of these is that they do cause a small pressure drop (no idea how much) so you get less pressure in your system... 

5 minutes ago, johny said:

Of course the downside of these is that they do cause a small pressure drop (no idea how much) so you get less pressure in your system... 

No idea of the pressure drop, (tin hat on) I have the dreaded external oil feed restricted to less than 1mm for the Goodparts roller rockers, it makes 60PSI hot at about 2.5k revs, I use Valvoline VR1 20/50 with an uprated oil pump.

S

Edited by Steve P
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, johny said:

Should do nicely Dave with two non return valves, one as described above and the other in the outlet port to try n hold oil up in the engine oil ways...

Thanks Johny. To be honest, I'm not worried about the orientation of the filter, or the return valves. The car only gets started from cold on average, about once a week (without choke, until pressure builds).

My post was to give the Kevin the Mann part no

I will check when I am at my lockup, mine is fitted to the block with a thread adapter for the Mann one, don`t know which thread your spin on has?.

One word of note, the Mann 714/2 was the subject of posts somewhere on here when after an oil change they could not get pressure up. I believe I have read this from 2 people, I had 2  714/2 on my shelf to try on my Vitesse to get less of an angle on the filter as they are smaller,  but abandoned the idea after reading this, I stuck with the Fram ones I use, works fine. 

Steve

2 hours ago, Steve P said:

I will check when I am at my lockup, mine is fitted to the block with a thread adapter for the Mann one, don`t know which thread your spin on has?.

One word of note, the Mann 714/2 was the subject of posts somewhere on here when after an oil change they could not get pressure up. I believe I have read this from 2 people, I had 2  714/2 on my shelf to try on my Vitesse to get less of an angle on the filter as they are smaller,  but abandoned the idea after reading this, I stuck with the Fram ones I use, works fine. 

Steve

Yes it was my Vitesse which had serious issues with the Man 714/2 oil filters . Couldn’t get any oil pressure until i removed the filter and back filled with oil . I now use Fram . Currently I can’t find the original post 

Paul 

• Thanks 1

Yes I remember that but now wonder if it was due more to the oil pump emptying. If its bottom plate seals well it should stay full of oil indefinitely because its inlet and outlet ports both come in from the top. Then as soon as the pump spins oil should start to flow but if its gone dry this is much more difficult....

9 hours ago, johny said:

Yes I remember that but now wonder if it was due more to the oil pump emptying. If its bottom plate seals well it should stay full of oil indefinitely because its inlet and outlet ports both come in from the top. Then as soon as the pump spins oil should start to flow but if its gone dry this is much more difficult....

I’ve had my Vitesse for 7 years now , changing filter every year . The Man filter was the only time I had issues 

Paul 

well it might depend on how long the engine is left without being run? Certainly it looks like the Mann second anti drain valve is a spring loaded affair in the filter outlet rather than a rubber flap like the first and so probably adds even more resistance to the initial fill of the system...

the paranoia about drain backand an odd rattle of journals on cold starts  after 50 years is something i dont worry about  

you cant stop the crank and oil gallery draining by gravity  worrying about the filter is only half the job

just fire her up let it idle a few seconds and all is well   for another 50 years

you modern probably does it but with  tighter tolerances you dont hear it 

my advice is dont  loose sleep making problems that are not a problem 

where's me coat 

Pete

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

the paranoia about drain backand an odd rattle of journals on cold starts  after 50 years is something i dont worry about  

you cant stop the crank and oil gallery draining by gravity  worrying about the filter is only half the job

just fire her up let it idle a few seconds and all is well   for another 50 years

you modern probably does it but with  tighter tolerances you dont hear it 

my advice is dont  loose sleep making problems that are not a problem 

Without wanting to frighten anybody though I would be on the listen out for low level continuous noise from the running engine. I read an article years ago which said if the sixes big ends and mains were replaced at 50 and 70k respectively the crank would last indefinitely. Thats certainly about when Ive found the bearings worn and replaced them, the last time only realising the mains were deteriorating when somebody else pointed out the noise😲 Doing this (plus a new oil pump) has definitely reduced start up rattle and improved oil pressure...

• 2 weeks later...

If the spin off oil filter is mounted closed end down would that be OK? On a quick measure (Vitesse Mk 2), it might mean using a shorter filter than the club one. Any issues with that?

I wonder whether the 8 o'clock position (where mine is!) is the worst of all worlds as oil is only stopped from draining out if it's mounted as the OP has done. If on a slope, would that negate the anti-drain valves?