GT6 Mk3 only runs well with VERY advanced timing. Any ideas why?

nicrguy1966

1 hour ago, nicrguy1966 said:

So what is the general opinion on the correct timing for our cars with modern fuel?

My GT6 is perfectly happy with strobe timing at 800rpm tickover set to 12 deg BTDC. That applies to both the standard 2 litre engine and the tweaked 2.5 litre fitted currently.

I normally run it on 99 octane Tesco Momentum, or Shell V-Power if I'm feeling especially wealthy!

Nigel

Nice guy,

My thanks to Pete for taking up my sermon!   

Yes, in the situation you describe, very much worth checking where TDC really is, with a piston stop and a degree wheel on the crank.   But if you can move the outer ( "inertia ring") part of the crank pulley on the hub, then clearly the rubber joint that does the damping has failed.    If you are in any doubt, send it to me, and I will check it on my test rig.

John

3 hours ago, JohnD said:

Nice guy,

Yes, in the situation you describe, very much worth checking where TDC really is, with a piston stop and a degree wheel on the crank.   But if you can move the outer ( "inertia ring") part of the crank pulley on the hub, then clearly the rubber joint that does the damping has failed.    If you are in any doubt, send it to me, and I will check it on my test rig.

John

I'll be taking a close look at the pulley this weekend, and also trying to set the crank to TDC to see what the timing marks say.

Hopefully I'll be able to find TDC (or near enough) by feeling the position of the piston through the sparkplug hole (using a screwdriver as I don't have a piston stop), but otherwise I may have to remove the timing chain cover (which I really would prefer to avoid!).

I'll report back when I've done this.

simple piston stop is rework an old spark plug by fitting a bolt in place of the electrode so it just obstructs/contacts  the piston on full stroke 

no need to tamper with the timing cover or chain/gears  ....wont help

if you do a drop test with a probe mind you dont trap it and loose it in the cylinder 

there should be timing marks on the flywheel rim  which you cant see as the clutch hsg. covers it   (without a hole saw)  so that wont help unless the engines   ...out 

Pete

49 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

simple piston stop is rework an old spark plug by fitting a bolt in place of the electrode so it just obstructs/contacts  the piston on full stroke 

no need to tamper with the timing cover or chain/gears  ....wont help

if you do a drop test with a probe mind you dont trap it and loose it in the cylinder 

there should be timing marks on the flywheel rim  which you cant see as the clutch hsg. covers it   (without a hole saw)  so that wont help unless the engines   ...out 

Pete

I have plenty of old sparkplugs, they seem to breed!

My GT6 Mk 3 is set at around 10 degrees advance - I've tweaked it by about a degree in 10 years of ownership! Tickover is set slightly higher than the manual at c. 1000rpm, as it's always had a tendency to occasionally die at junctions when down at c. 850. Pulls fine across the rev range. I use Super Unleaded, generally with a fuel additive (which includes octane boost as well as lead substitute and anti-ethanol properties).

As many have outlined above - if it runs well when set 'by feel / ear', there can't be too much wrong; seems to point to the damper ring having slipped as per John D's research.

Gully 

7 minutes ago, Gully said:

My GT6 Mk 3 is set at around 10 degrees advance - I've tweaked it by about a degree in 10 years of ownership! Tickover is set slightly higher than the manual at c. 1000rpm, as it's always had a tendency to occasionally die at junctions when down at c. 850. Pulls fine across the rev range. I use Super Unleaded, generally with a fuel additive (which includes octane boost as well as lead substitute and anti-ethanol properties).

As many have outlined above - if it runs well when set 'by feel / ear', there can't be too much wrong; seems to point to the damper ring having slipped as per John D's research.

Gully 

Maybe I need to invest in super unleaded then try again. Given the low mileage I do, it will not make much difference to the total cost of ownership.

The difference between normal unleaded and super unleaded plus an additive could be huge.

When set "by ear", mine ticks over quite happily at 600 rpm!

Edited by nicrguy1966

25 minutes ago, nicrguy1966 said:

Maybe I need to invest in super unleaded then try again. Given the low mileage I do, it will not make much difference to the total cost of ownership.

The difference between normal unleaded and super unleaded plus an additive could be huge.

When set "by ear", mine ticks over quite happily at 600 rpm!

What normally happens is that you set the correct timing and then find theres excessive pinking (the engine continues to rattle after reaching 2000rpm during full acceleration in 4th gear on the flat). This can be an indicator that the fuel octane is too low so its worth trying to raise it with a different fuel or additive.

The alternative is to just retard the timing until the above criteria is achieved...

Edited by johny

the cars were designed and spec'd to run om 100 octane of the day 

using 97/99ron E5 is as close as you can get to use the original settings  

ive used only sainsbugs 97 since 2003 on both the  rorty Vit6 and the current 2000 with std timing and no problems

95  ** was back in the day for side valves and motor mowers   of low compression why on earth would you crucify the performance 

by spending a £££s   on Must  Haves and then fill with low grade fueling ????? retard to make them run without pinking then wonder where the optimum performance 

has  gone .

just some rambling    Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

the cars were designed and spec'd to run om 100 octane of the day 

using 97/99ron E5 is as close as you can get to use the original settings  

ive used only sainsbugs 97 since 2003 on both the  rorty Vit6 and the current 2000 with std timing and no problems

95  ** was back in the day for side valves and motor mowers   of low compression why on earth would you crucify the performance 

by spending a £££s   on Must  Haves and then fill with low grade fueling ????? retard to make them run without pinking then wonder where the optimum performance 

has  gone .

just some rambling    Pete

Unless the timing marks on my pulley are way off, retarding to stop pinking is the complete opposite of how my car is tuned! It's so far advanced it's making me nervous!

you need to get to the bottom of why the advance showing is so far away from the basic spec 

old fuel new fuel there is no reason things need to be as such and excessive advance is likely to crack up the pistons life .

dooesnt matter where the dizzy gear is timed as you just rotate the dizzy to suit assuming the vac doesnt foul on the other parts 

and lack of lube on delco can be a disaster for spindle wear ,less so with lucas but any side float on the cam spindle will make points gaps very variable

electronics can help overcome that . but a squirt of oil down the base plate keeps the top unlubricated bush nicely oiled as it often states  "oil"on the base plate

the vac unit just aids MPG  if the spring inside has failed then static timing will always vary depends where it decides to stop.

Pete

10 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

you need to get to the bottom of why the advance showing is so far away from the basic spec 

old fuel new fuel there is no reason things need to be as such and excessive advance is likely to crack up the pistons life .

dooesnt matter where the dizzy gear is timed as you just rotate the dizzy to suit assuming the vac doesnt foul on the other parts 

and lack of lube on delco can be a disaster for spindle wear ,less so with lucas but any side float on the cam spindle will make points gaps very variable

electronics can help overcome that . but a squirt of oil down the base plate keeps the top unlubricated bush nicely oiled as it often states  "oil"on the base plate

the vac unit just aids MPG  if the spring inside has failed then static timing will always vary depends where it decides to stop.

Pete

I'll try to find out if the timing marks are way off this weekend.

Having had a little play with the dizzy (static), I'm fairly happy that nothing major is wrong with it. Also, when setting it with the strobe at idle, the timing was regular and stable, no variation. Electronic ignition should reduce the chance of "points gaps" changing and I detected no play in the spindle when checking that the rotor arm had some "spring" in it. I'll give it some revs to check the centrifugal advance is doing something this weekend (and give it some oil in all the right places too). I'm also treating it to a new rotor arm and cap.

With all this love, it will think it's got a new owner!

Based on all the feedback so far, I'm actually hoping the timing marks are off as then I'll know it's probably correctly tuned and there's nothing else to worry about. If the timing marks are in the correct place, I'll be scratching my head for what else to try. I'll post here once I've looked at the timing marks compared to where I think TDC is as soon as I've completed my investigation.

5 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

is there or was there any problem before all this started to awaken the need to check the timing ???

nothing wrong with using ears to set the best running then back off a bit ,.............. many of us do that anyway .

Pete

No significant problem, except that any time anyone (including me) tries to set the timing to the "correct" place, the car runs like a dog.

On my last drive, it wouldn't start for the return trip until I did a roadside adjustment to the dizzy back to the "wrong" setting that the car actually needs to run smoothly.

I'm also assuming that if it really is at 20 degrees BTDC, I losing power (but without a rolling road, I have no way to know for sure).

16 hours ago, JohnD said:

Nice guy,

John

John, I forgot to ask, when you say "send it to me", just out of curiosity, where are you?

23 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Are the sparkplug leads fitted to the cap correctly, or is each rotated incorrectly by one position round the cap?

The strobe is triggered by the spark to plug 1, so I'm not sure what difference that would make, apart from the position of the distributor, but I'm open to suggestions.

7 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Nicr,

Please PM me?  And we may swap addresses.  I'm in Northwest England, but with respect, I'd prefer not to publicise online where I live!

John

If you're in NW England you probably don't need to share it with me either as I'm in SE England!

Thanks for the offer anyway!