Vitesse mk2 conversion to electric fan or not

Paul H

I use a Spal 11 inch sucker fan fixed to the rad core. You might be able to see it in my Avatar. I do have an ally rad. It is Very close to the pulley.

Experimenting with senders, I bought 3 of the same part number from 3 different suppliers to compare the resistance. The lowest was around 550 ohms, one was 700 and the other was nearer 800.All cold measurements, the different effects on where the needle sat from cold to normal were quite different.

I settled for the one that sat nearest to normal. When stationary the gauge climbs fairly quickly until the fan kicks in, or I turn it on manually from the switch i fitted under the dash. It also can run for 30 seconds after switching off the engine.

S

I have had cars with Electric fans only, Viscous fans only, one of each and one with a waxstat with clutch. The worst case was the electric only (Citroen Xm had two). The relay failed and I had an embarrasing time whilst towing.

The viscous ony failed and I pulled into a side street and 'Roped it' into permanent connect. Had to keep the revs down to  keep noise and vibration down.

The best combination was one viscous and one electric. The viscous one coped in all but the hottest weather when th electric one cut in. The waxstat one never failed.

If you go electric, make sure that you have an alternator charging at idle, otherwise you'll be stranded if you have to switch off.

making a fan shroud is probably one of the best routes to better efficiency , without any of the complications of going electric 

any gauging is good for presenting the general condition of the equipment but if it makes you worry all the time its a  bad idea 

and stops you enjoying any drive and the smile you should be having   not look   its going up a bit !!

Pete

• Like 1

Keeping the Grille clear of obstructions also helps. Badges/Spotlights etc in the air flow are of no help. While probably not possible on "our" cars shroud(s) directing air to the Rad and not allowing it to bye pass, ballanced with a need to reduce underbonnet temperature?. AND. a clean cooling system to start with. I`ve carried out full ACID cleans on huge marine engines, in order to remove limescale and even salt (seawater) contamination.

Pete

1 hour ago, johny said:

Yes Ive often wondered if my mk1 Vitesse front grill is more restrictive than the mk2 slat version. Its certainly got smaller holes which must tend to obstruct the entry of air more...

I've got a Mk 2 and retrofitted a Mk 1 grill, as I prefer the early look. I have'nt noticed any difference in temp gauge indication. I have had a Kenlowe fan fitted for years, but even with that going the temp goes up toward the red when stuck in traffic. I think the block, heater and rad are pretty clean, as clear water runs out when back flushed. I suspect the main problem on the Vit is the close fitting chassis rails and bonnet stop the hot air getting out. They should have fitted louvres, like the GT6. I wonder if there's any improvement if you removed the side valances as an experiment?

3 minutes ago, trigolf said:

I've got a Mk 2 and retrofitted a Mk 1 grill, as I prefer the early look.

Snap, so do I! If you're temperature rises too much it may be the Kenlow isn't sucking enough air ie not powerful enough? However if it doesn't boil I probably wouldn't bother. We all get hot and bothered in traffic. 

I'm sure I read somewhere the valances help airflow. 

Iain