Torque for herald 1200 crankshaft pulley nut

Tipidave

Having successfully removed the crank pulley nut and replaced the oil seal I find that I cannot find reference for the correct torque setting upon re-tightening. I could only achieve approx 70 ft lb and have marked it with a white line so I can inspect for movement. Is this sufficient? Does anyone know what it should be torqued to? Thanks again. For any assistance :)

Yes strangely doesnt appear in the Herald workshop manual but the Vitesse one which has a very similar pulley (5/8 UNF bolt) has a figure of 90 - 100lb.ft

This is about the same torque recommended for the rear axle to hub nut which has the same size thread and of course is identical to both models so sounds more reasonable than 150 ft.lb....

1 hour ago, johny said:

Yes strangely doesnt appear in the Herald workshop manual but the Vitesse one which has a very similar pulley (5/8 UNF bolt) has a figure of 90 - 100lb.ft

This is about the same torque recommended for the rear axle to hub nut which has the same size thread and of course is identical to both models so sounds more reasonable than 150 ft.lb....

The Vitesse (and GT6) engine use a "normal" bolt, but the Herald & Spitfire use a fairly large stepped "nut".

I cannot see how one would equate the torque of one with the other.

The flywheel ring gear has to withstand the impact of the starter pinion, repeatedly! 

Remove the starter and lock the crank with a large screwdriver through the opening.  Starter ring lock tools are available that engage on three or four teeth if you are concerned.

John

As luck would have it I took a look at the torque wrench used to tighten the nut and I hadn’t relaxed the spring from when I used it (bad workshop practice I know!) and found it was set to 80ftlb. Given that it is closer to the 90-100ftlb mentioned for a similar nut on the vitesse I feel happier to leave it all alone and just observe it over the next hundred miles or so. No sign of any oil leak from the new seal which is a relief. Thanks for all of the helpful replies. It is great fully appreciated😀👍

I really didn’t do anything other than ensure that the car was in gear and well chocked with handbrake applied. I incrementally increased the torque (starting at around 40ftlb )until such time as I judged it was putting strain on the transmission line. I did it slowly and carefully and got as far as the 80ftlb setting. That said, it is a hefty torque wrench left over from my Land Rover days… it has been well treated but of course there is no real way of knowing how calibrated it is. Nonetheless I think I am best off just enjoying the car and keeping an eye on it. 😀👍

Tipidave,

Calibration is easy!  Does need a bench mounted vice, but you might be able to improvise.

Torquewrenchcalibration(1).JPG.afe135f3f7434ad1d3d6f08746e4bf47.JPG

Fix the drive bar in the vice, handle horizontal.  Hang a heavy weight on the handle, and move it outwards until the wrench clicks.

Measure the distance between the drive bar and the weight.   The torque applied is the weight multiplied by the distance.

Check this with the wrench setting.

Voila!

John

On 29/08/2023 at 13:34, johny said:

Great. Out of interest how did you hold the crank for tightening the pulley?

1. Disconnect battery.
  2. Pop out the starter motor from the bell housing.
  3. Clamp a pair of mole grips across the front/rear faces of the flywheel through the starter motor hole.
  4. Tighten away.

Always worked for me.

Edited by Mjit

You could always remove the petrol pump and jam a large screwdriver into the hole, which certainly locks the engine. After a few hours of jumping up and down on a huge pry bar and socket, the screwdriver ends up like this. Thankfully it wasn't my engine and I've no idea how it ran afterwards...

IMG_6541.thumb.jpeg.2a0d32093eca8bf587cc9110d0eddecf.jpeg IMG_6542.thumb.jpeg.0eb0df2c3809d8124bc693a31c9513cf.jpeg

Blimey that’s not how you want it to look! Sure I can find a way. Probably remove the starter. Plan to drive for a while first (with lots of checking) at least I seem to have fixed the oil leak😀👍have also been researching how to recalibrate my torque wrench… it may be a bit Heath Robinson but reckon it should be doable. 

34 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

You could always remove the petrol pump and jam a large screwdriver into the hole, which certainly locks the engine. After a few hours of jumping up and down on a huge pry bar and socket, the screwdriver ends up like this. Thankfully it wasn't my engine and I've no idea how it ran afterwards...

I imagine the valve timing afterwards might have been a bit out as the drive chain was twice its original length😁

• Haha 1