GT6, larger stub axles, castellated nut and that split pin.

Noooooo the standard wheel bearing set up must NOT be torqued up as there's always got to be some play! Its the bane of MOT testers but unlike modern cars on ours the inner races have to be free to rotate and expand or they can overheat and seize quite quickly...

Edited by johny
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Aidsaunders said:

There’s a cap on the original setup that resists rotation, it’s fitted before the split pin. Also, the setup is torqued up so there’s no end float. Any expansion has nowhere to go. 

There's a flat washer with a D shaped hole which sits between the castellated nut and the bearing. It locates on the flat on the threaded section to remove any rotational force on the nut itself. The nut is not torqued to prevent it moving - it's tightened, then backed off, with the split pin then preventing it moving from the set position.

When my GT6 was MOT'd last year, the chap who does it had an apprentice with him and he was explaining to him the need for movement on the taper bearings.

Gully

3 hours ago, Aidsaunders said:

There’s a cap on the original setup that resists rotation, it’s fitted before the split pin. Also, the setup is torqued up so there’s no end float. Any expansion has nowhere to go. 

Never saw that on our cars, but have just rebuilt the front bearings of a 1980s Ford Fiesta and it had one. On ours the split pin should fit between the 'teeth' of the castellated nut and hold it in place but for some reason the Ford has the split pin quite a distance away from the nut, so requires the overcup with the teeth extensions to stop it unwinding.

On the CC Uprated Stub axles they appear to have the same castellated nut as the original versions, just looks beefier?

4 hours ago, Aidsaunders said:

41 minutes ago, Aidsaunders said:

People are getting mixed up here. The CC big stubs don’t have a d washer, castellated nut and split pin only. They do require that the nut is fitted to a torque too. The only thing preventing rotation is the split pin. 

So what do you mean by the original set up? 

Doug

Nice product from Rimmers but surely at that price they come with instructions or at least some help from them? I would imagine theyre modern bearings where the inner races are pulled up tight, using a spacer between them, by the torque of the castle nut before the split pin is put in - no need for any cap ....

2 hours ago, johny said:

Nice product from Rimmers but surely at that price they come with instructions or at least some help from them? 

With respect, Johnny, if you need instructions from Rimmer's......

Do you get them if you buy parts from any modern dealer?  Did you ever?   That's what the Work Shop Manual is for!

John

Edited by JohnD

3 hours ago, Aidsaunders said:

Has anyone fitted this kit and been able to fit both split pins (o/s & n/s) without backing the castellated nut off to align it to a pin hole? One of mine required this. 

Is that with the felt washer fitted? Usual scenario with those on a standard setup is that you torque the hub up without it fitted, then fit it and replace the nut to the same position as before, otherwise the felt will mess up the hub fit.

this kit does not have the felt the bearings are sealed for life

why you need  this is on my  up grade  must  not have   list  

the standard design has only lasted 50 years whats not to like 

as for torque the castle nut why dont they just use a nylock like ford and many others do 

dont forget the stub as original had two pin holes   i guess the uprated one does not !!!!!

its a nice upgrade with the headache that goes with it 

Pete

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

this kit does not have the felt the bearings are sealed for life

why you need  this is on my  up grade  must  not have   list  

the standard design has only lasted 50 years whats not to like 

as for torque the castle nut why dont they just use a nylock like ford and many others do 

dont forget the stub as original had two pin holes   i guess the uprated one does not !!!!!

its a nice upgrade with the headache that goes with it 

Pete

Pete, is there an anti-rotation (D hole) washer on the Ford nyloc setup?