GT6 Dashboard label

Ian Foster

I am in the process of refinishing the centre section of my GT6 Mk2 dashboard.

In removing the original lacquer I have lost the label under the HAZARD light warning bulb and need to replace this once I have redone the finish.

I think the original was probably a waterslide transfer (1960s technology) and have started to investigate availability.

Has anyone done similar or have any suggestions.

Ian

image.thumb.png.df3eac6d2126b9bd15298f00439cc87d.png

Hi Ian, do you know anyone with a Dymo Label printer? I'm not talking about the original 60's embossed label machine. We had one at work for labelling small electronic projects. The label cartridges come in different widths and colours ( white on black, white on clear etc). The font is changeable as is character size. If you're really stuck, I might be able to borrow it.

Gav

Or go for the other period technology and find some letraset. That’d have the advantage of no edges as a sticker label would. I’d guess the originals were a screen print as you’d be able to have a mask the size of the dash and not have to have people align the individual words.

Stratton Jimmer has a good idea!

But better than the John Bull set, this?

image.thumb.png.f823d6a6d88f817ca9e2d808a3ddddf1.png

I just bought a set off eBay, as an Xmas present for my 5 yo granddaughter.   It' a delightful, old-fashioned wooden box of type, each wooden block having a rubber face of the character.    With an ink pad she's going to have fun, printing each letter by hand!

For your purpose, Ian, it would be fairly easy to make up a composing stick as used by printers, to hold the right type together while you print the label on the dash!

image.png.77d90871a95b685d25add1f5da82f36c.png

See:  70PCS RETRO WOODEN RUBBER UPPER LOWER CASE ALPHABET LETTERS NUMBERS STAMPS SET | eBay

John (No connection with the seller)

• Like 1

My wife has a crafting cutter. (silhueette) Which will cut vynl?. Could be worth enquiring amongst ladies who make Greetings Cards etc; Many too are capable of cutting vynl. We made a display board, using her`s a few years back. The letter`s on that where A4 sized. We have had them down to a few millimeters. The one below is actually on our shower door, because visitors had the habbit of pulling it outward and wetting the bathroom floor!!.

What size and font are you wanting?.

IMG_4753.jpg.27ff94a3ee95c675017dd343ad136bba.jpg

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Pete

Thanks for that.

Text is similar to Verdana (Caps) and is approx 3.3mm high.

I think I have found someone who can produce it as a waterslide transfer and I have asked them to produce an A7 sheet, so others could also benefit.

If that comes to naught, I'll try the vinyl option.

Ian 

• Like 1

Dymo Labels do several tapes ie clear tape with either black or white lettering the letter size you can choose with you machine.

The tape can be trimmed to size so its not oversize to the lettering.

I used the white lettering on extra ancillary switch's on my Vitesse dash, but have decided to make a Spit 1500 style illuminated strip/bar, a winters job!!  

• 1 month later...

Just to bookend this topic.

I have completed the refinishing of the dash panel and managed to find a small company (Phoxy Design) that were willing and able to produce a waterslide transfer. 

I gave them a section of the original lacquer with the lettering on it and they produced an A6 sheet with 12No. words on it which I trimmed to fit.

Quite pleased with the results. If anyone is in a similar position, I have 'spares' available.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Ian

DSC_8274.JPG

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hi Gav

Not quite a 'Rolls Royce' job, but much better than cracked and de-bonded lacquer. I was able to tidy up the gauges at the same time.

The drivers side element with the speedo/rev counter is not too bad and will have to do for now. Not sure I can face taking that out!

Ian

Edited by Ian Foster
spelling