Herald Lucas Sealed Beam Part No.

Jon J 1250

Hi all,

I have the correct Lucas part catalog number but I am still struggling to find which type of 7" sealed beam unit was originally fitted to the Herald in 1965-ish, the catalog number doesn't really help with this.

The number I am looking for will be a 4 digit part number, something like  Powerbeam 7603 or 7033, but it is neither of those.

Does anyone out there know what it is?

Kind Regards
Jon

you would have to find a old new stock or SHand   sealed beams went bust  years ago in the 70s 

most would fit a bulb H4   lamp dont try LED  

its quite common the bulb units need a small alteration cutting a few mm on one of the location lug slots 

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

6 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

you would have to find a old new stock or SHand   sealed beams went bust  years ago in the 70s 

most would fit a bulb H4   lamp dont try LED  

its quite common the bulb units need a small alteration cutting a few mm on one of the location lug slots 

Pete

Thanks Pete,

Yes I am looking to find some nos spares, they are certainly out there, but nobody advertises them as Triumph Herald headlights in the NOS world, so need to know specifically what they are.

Kind Regards
Jon

there was nothing special about herald units  all std lucas p700 type 

used on so many other marques of british manufacture 

and to liven up the old glow worms  get a relay kit and get full voltage at the front of the bonnet 

saves the old switches and 14,5 volts is far more illuminating than the often 10.5 of voltage dropping 

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Chris A said:

Funny you should mention Surrey, my last known address in the UK was New Malden.

Bet your glad your not there now?. It`s inside the ULEZ.😭

EDIT:- "Plum" has a pair of Lucas Sealed beams. but no visible ident:.

Pete

Edited by PeteH

16 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

there was nothing special about herald units  all std lucas p700 type 

used on so many other marques of british manufacture 

and to liven up the old glow worms  get a relay kit and get full voltage at the front of the bonnet 

saves the old switches and 14,5 volts is far more illuminating than the often 10.5 of voltage dropping 

Pete

I can't remember off hand but am I right in that the standards were 700, the uprated versions P700 and the luxury versions PL700? 

The very early versions had a plug-in bulb fitting, so you can uprate that and keep the glass standard on the outside.

This is type I have and is the original type you typically see on mid 60's heralds.
They have a distinctive diagonal pattern on them, which you don't see on most other Lucas or aftermarket 700 or 7XXX types.
Another feature is the 3 raised nibs arount the circumference at 2, 6 and 10 o'clock positions, but you do see that on other Lucas lamps too.
Having done some research I currently think these are Lucas 7010 sealed beam units.

It's impressive that these light units are still working and dimly lighting up the way ahead after nearly 60 years! lol

IMG_0094.jpeg

Edited by Jon J 1250

58 minutes ago, Jon J 1250 said:

This is type I have and is the original type you typically see on mid 60's heralds.
They have a distinctive diagonal pattern on them, which you don't see on most other Lucas or aftermarket 700 or 7XXX types.
Another feature is the 3 raised nibs arount the circumference at 2, 6 and 10 o'clock positions, but you do see that on other Lucas lamps too.
Having done some research I currently think these are Lucas 7010 sealed beam units.

It's impressive that these light units are still working and dimly lighting up the way ahead after nearly 60 years! lol

IMG_0094.jpeg

Same as my estate, the code running downwards reads 10170, no idea what that number refers to but I think the actual part number may be 7285? eBay often has them for sale, both new and used.

IMG_7007.thumb.jpeg.0b89a21691a942493ab66876dd36a222.jpeg

• Like 1

Back in the day part number for sealed beam would be 7002 which was for any 7inch headlamp with a separate side light 7014 was the number for the same lamp with a clear part of the glass for a sidelight which would be attached to the side of the headlamp connector and 7025 would have a holder attached over the clear glass for a separate sidelight(ford fitting)-used to sell wholesale parts including lamps back in the early 80's and 7002s were about £2.50 plus vat!

7002 was a common non-pilot lamp headlamp, (also used on Landrover where they had the Landrover number RTC3681), but any I've seen don't have the same zig-zag pattern, which are all marked 10170 and I haven't yet found the four digit reference number. Originals are nice but the modern repros seem to have a different beam pattern. Even companies which stock 'original' sealed beam units don't appear to have this version. The earlier non-sealed unit has a different pattern yet again, and of course the later halogen units are all of a more modern pattern.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.4118068eb3ef86ec1c30a0be3524c8c1.jpg

I've now got one that is almost the same, the glass pattern is exactly the same, the Wattage is 75/50W, whereas the Triumph Herald version would be (i think) 60/45W.

It confirms the pattern to be Lucas Powerbeam 7010 (or 60-7010) which can be seen on the box and back of the light unit.

Checking my trusty Lucas 1965 Triumph parts book you can see the Herald Lucas part number should be 54521872 (for RHD), whereas the box of the sealed beam I have shows 54522480 (which I think is a Jaguar unit).

So there you go, if anyone is looking for an original sealed beam, it is a 7010 like the one pictured but with Lucas part no. 54521872 on the box.
I think I'll look out for another 75/50W version for a slight upgrade one day (with a fuse and relay).

If anyone has anything else to add please comment.
Jon

IMG_0142.jpeg

IMG_0145.jpeg

IMG_0146.jpeg

IMG_0154.jpeg

IMG_0155.jpeg

IMG_0157.jpeg

IMG_0158.jpeg