Alloy Wheel Offset

Darren Groves

Hi. It was a recommendation I took up. Good quality 7/16 ones I got from jigsaw. They do extended length ones to. I believe 12 mm ones are readily available but need a bit of fettling I'm sure others can advise on this. Not sure what the offset is but the pcd is 95.25

Aidan

I'm sure I've seen this question asked before on here, but couldn't seem to find the answer.

When buying 5J x 13 alloy wheels, what would be the correct offset?

Hi Darren, quite by coincidence my set of alloys arrived today. These are JBW Minilite style and they are 5.0J x 13 ET20 66 bore.  Made to suit the Spitfire.

I've not got a car here to try them but i hope and believe they are correct.

regards

John

Hi John - You have ordered the same make & size I've been looking at, where did you buy yours from? What colour did you go for?

Hi Aidan - A bit of research and looks as if the Freelander M12 stud (Part No. CLP9037L) is the easiest & cheapest to get hold of, so will shop around for those.

Hi John - You have ordered the same make & size I've been looking at, where did you buy yours from? What colour did you go for?

Hi Aidan - A bit of research and looks as if the Freelander M12 stud (Part No. CLP9037L) is the easiest & cheapest to get hold of, so will shop around for those.

I bought them from John Brown Wheels Darren. Mine are silver with polished rims. They look good and have been beautifully packed.

A bit of research and looks as if the Freelander M12 stud (Part No. CLP9037L) is the easiest & cheapest to get hold of, so will shop around for those.

You won't regret it, especially when you compare the old and new. It is horrifying!

Front hubs may need to come off (can't remember) and at teh rear you can knock the old studs out, but the new ones eothet need hub off (a PITA) or drill an access hole in the backplate and grommet after, which is an agreeable solution!

Don't forget to get a nice set of nuts. VERY easy to buy, ford/rover/etc etc etc etc and you can buy the flash "tuner" ones too, all for not-a-lot

• Like 1

I drilled and grpmmeted the rear plates to get the new ones in. A bit of a pain to do but easier than pulling the hubs ( unless of course you have the puller everyone recommends you use. This is all on another thread somewhere. ????

yes front hubs off and remove disc.

there is a casting radius  on the back of the hub , this can pitch on the head of some studs all is needed is a very light grind or file a small chamfer on the stud head just where it will contact.  pic is of OE stud fitted

TR and 2000 saloons have 7/16unf studs that will fit if you want to stay  unified.

we fitted studs into the rear hubs of the Vit6 without removing the hub flange, cant remember how much of a fiddle .

pull the new studs into the hub with an wheel nut and spacer  they fit the original holes ok

if using capped wheel nuts its most important you cut the studs to length so they dont bottom out 

and once on you will never get a sheared stud as can easiliy happen with the weeny 3/8"originals

Pete

post-14-0-01497000-1454579780_thumb.jpg

Hi Darren, quite by coincidence my set of alloys arrived today. These are JBW Minilite style and they are 5.0J x 13 ET20 66 bore. Made to suit the Spitfire.

I've not got a car here to try them but i hope and believe they are correct.

regards

John

Just had a reply from another supplier of these wheels, they recommend ET25 not 20. I presume that we move the wheel outward a tad?

Canleys do a M12 stud replacement that is 5mm longer than standard, is that long enough or would the longer Freelander ones be better?

Hi Darren, quite by coincidence my set of alloys arrived today. These are JBW Minilite style and they are 5.0J x 13 ET20 66 bore.  Made to suit the Spitfire.

I am about to take a set of these off my 13/60 and they are 5.0J x 13 ET 20  66 bore which fitted without any problems and replace them with old fashioned steels.

Darren, after a small amount of faffing around to fit the studs you will be pleased with the result....one of the best upgrades  when you remove the disc make sure the faces are clean and flat before mating back up.

I didnt take the rear flange off but brakes shoes were out the way   ,   if you  measure what length you need using an old stud as a start you can cut them to suit before fitting

the shorter the stud the more likely its an easy fiddle into the old  stud hole

if they are a bit slack in the flange loctite them in , then when you fit the wheel you dont knock the sods back out !!!

Pete

Did you have a problem with the alloys Chris?

No problem at all just that I find they look too modern (and too sporty?) on the 13/60. Purlely personal taste. They do suit some cars very well.  My wife likes them except that they ought to have been in the colour of the body paintwork. The car came fitted with them plus a set of steel wheels as spares.

The fact that I find them too modern looking, I know they go way back, is a tribute to their excellent design.

I am going to live with the steel wheels for the coming season just to make sure I don't change my mind then try and sell  which ever I don't want.

They are easy to clean, by the way, a soapy sponge is all that it takes.

Hi,

I thought the Spitfire wheel had an ET+22. I would be interested in the true number if i'm wrong as I want to correct my MGTF wheels with an ET+28 to the correct figure.

Example: it the OEM offset of your wheels are for example ET+22 and your new wheels are ET+28, you will need to add a spacer of 6mm to bring the offset back to ET+22.

I used this helpful website to understand offset:

http://www.willtheyfit.com/

Correct ET will put the load in the correct place on the bearing as OEM wheels. Wrong ET on the front can effect steering. I doubt 5mm or so makes that much difference? Did read some where that it is better to go one way than the other though. Different offset also effects your spring rate.

I have 16"7J ET+28 on the rear & 15"6J ET28 on the front. Looking at having some proper spaces machined to reduce the offset to the correct value. ET+22/ET20/ET25?

I have short shafts and CV's & a skinny ARB.

Cheers,

Iain.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I brought these for my Herald http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/triumph-tr7-dolomite-alloy-wheels-barn-find-classic-race-no-reserve-/262283235425?nma=true&si=lUypKxEKS2gKm3oior438wiMnWc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

not got around to fitting them yet but want to.

I get the stud thing and can fit them. But do I need a spacer betwen wheel and hub. The centre hole is 55mm like the steelies.

Any help appreciated.