Vitesse 2 Litre Mk1, oil leak from rocker cover area I assume, but where?

daverclasper

Hi. Not a big issue, as such, I assume? (though leaks in this area, can also affect fuel mixture?).

So, no obvious traces of oil from rocker cover filler cap, 3 top fasteners, PCV stub to valve hose. I cant see any fractures/oil deposits on actual cover.

Even though I wipe it clean often, there is always oil that collects within the rearmost area (as engine slopes down at the rear) of the recessed lip, which part of the gasket pressing  section of cover.

I can't think how it gets there? .

Ta, Dave 

Thanks John. might produce a nice, thin, crispy poppadum as well (I know the cover wouldn't really be hot enough for that) 

Thinking about it, At speed, could oil from a leaking cover gasket, flow upwards, onto the cover?, sounds a bit mad maybe

Edited by daverclasper

The rocker box has a vented filler cap and although there is negative pressure in there when running (assuming the PCV is working correctly) I wonder if oil vapour can escape when the hot engine has recently been stopped. If so oil droplets will tend to settle out on the rocker box exterior and gradually run down to the back...  

probably the aluminium push rod tubes, which are a pain to seal, oil leaks slowly and collects at the back. My mk2 spit did this but maybe not if the oil is collecting on thee rocker box as too high

Edited by DanMi

TRy this, Iain.

Select an O-ring that is just a tightish fit on the cover stud - not too tight!        Push that down to the cover, then a washer, finally the nut.

Don't try to do the nut up very tight, the cover is too flexible, but enough to compress the O-ring under the washer and force it into the ring around the stud where the cover hole is a loose fit.   This seals the hole.
You will probably have to replace the O-rings every so often - they get chewed up in the gap>

John

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Select an O-ring that is just a tightish fit on the cover stud - not too tight!        Push that down to the cover, then a washer, finally the nut.

Thanks John, at the moment I have a tight fitting 3mm thick rubber washer then steel washer and nut. I'll try an O ring as the above doesn't work. Perhaps the rubber washer I'm using is too stiff and not sealing. I have some O ring but fresh out of tap washers!

Iain 

Edited by Iain T

I think a Dowty would work well if there wasnt the recess round the holes in the rocker box so they might be good for cast alloy aftermarket versions. On the original steel types the recess means the rubber of the seal wouldnt be squashed between two flat surfaces as required...

• Like 1