Advice on garage set up

Dave O

Have a selection of 18volt Makita tools, first one was bought with battery's and charger subsequent ones bought without, the ½in. impact driver is easily the one I use most.

Also found the DeWalt ½in. to ¼hex very useful for screws.

Regards

Paul.

have a fir selection of battery tools , one mistake  i made when homebase was taken over by bunnings 

they sold a load of lithium battery drills impact drives for £6 i bought one of each 

then went back to but the stock to flog at the club meet but some greedy basket got there before me

the pile was ....gone .

but a full impact 1/2 drive for £6 was a worthy bargain 

i have 4 makita drills one over 20 yrs old still buzzing nicely with a few new battery packs .

of my hand tools the 1/2drive Britool ratchet i had as apprentice in 1964 it still going strong .

as for cars on bricks ive said before we had a guy from the assy line pulling a gearbox off his ford

the bricks toppled over the car dropped punctured the fuel tank and his paraffin garage heater 

lit the lot up  and he   fried whilst trapped  under the car ....nasty 

one item not mentioned is a side slip gauge like gunsons trackrite ,so easy to set the geometry up in seconds  and saves a fortune in idiot garages and tyre wear .

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

4 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

of my hand tools the 1/2drive Britool ratchet i had as apprentice in 1964 it still going strong .

We DO have something in common!

1968, I broke dad's ratchet and bought a Britool to replace it before he found out. He said I'd spent too much and I should take it back and get his cheaper original. I bought him the original, but kept the Britool. The new original lasted another 5 years before he broke it, I've still got the Britool.

Doug

Edited by dougbgt6

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

We DO have something in common!

1968, I broke dad's ratchet and bought a Britool to replace it before he found out. He said I'd spent too much and I should take it back and get his cheaper original. I bought him the original, but kept the Britool. The new original lasted another 5 years before he broke it, I've still got the Britool.

Doug

on the opposite side of the pond ,Micks had new 'stanley' britool ratchets  dead out of the box 

13 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

on the opposite side of the pond ,Micks had new 'stanley' britool ratchets  dead out of the box 

Yeh, come from China now, rachet mechanism's made of cheese.

Doug  

25 minutes ago, mark powell said:

Fire extinguisher, gloves, safety glasses, face masks. Overalls.  

🤣, Sorry Mark, had to laugh, But an Old Collegue, often say`s (Compulsory) PPE should be banned, The lack thereoff would help clean the gene pool.

Sensible stuff really, I know. But it should be common sense.

Pete

Delete "safety glasses".    If you wear prescription glasses,  the 'safety glasses won't fit over them, and will steam.up.   Far better is a Visor, worn like a welding helmet.  

And if you're as old as I am, overalls with knee pads!

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 1

Safety Glasses. I "got lucky" in respect that when they did my cataract`s a few years back they put in implants, (bless the NHS👍) so now I have near perfect vision, so much so that I pass the Driving Standards now without resort to Spectacles.👍 Still need them for very close work though. TBH, I do like John suggested and have a clear visor, but 90% of the time I get by with standard goggles. "Propper" safety Glasses should have side protection BTW, without, they do not come up to industrial standards. My old, company issued, overalls had pockets in the knees to take pads, very handy when crawling around Boilers and Tankage and under car`s. Very Orange with reflective stripes. All I needed was I Red and Green Table tennis bats and I was good to land Helicopters.🤣

Pete

Edited by PeteH