Advice on garage set up

Dave O

I’m restoring a Spitfire 1500 as my first classic and need some advice about some of the bigger tools please.

I hope to do everything myself including welding and spraying the bodywork as well as sandblasting some of the rusted components. I have already purchased a blast cabinet from machine mart.

So I’m looking at compressors and have read that a realistic minimum would be 100L/3hp/>10cfm to do spraying but I’d go for a higher spec if it makes the job easier?
Can anyone advise me when I look at the SIP website, it mentions 2 cfm readings, free air delivery and piston displacement. Which one is the right one to use when comparing and what would be the minimum to do HVLP spraying with for example?

Also what are the advantages of going for a larger tank eg 150 or even 200L? Do these sizes benefit even more for spraying or blasting?

Some of the larger sizes appear to need 16amp supply, is it worth getting an electrician in to put in an extra loop off the ring main? Would this be of use if I’m also thinking of MIG welding in the future?

Sip compressors appear to be the most popular from reading around on this forum. Any advice appreciated - I realise these are big decisions and want to make sure I get my equipment right. 

Thankyou, Dave O

I have a 3hp twin cylinder direct drive with a 100litre tank, it struggles with some tools and don't think I could use it with HVLP. The 13amp fuse blows sometimes on startup in cold weather and I should definitely have got one with a bigger tank, it all comes down to cost and space and the larger compressors might want three phase.

As to welders I have a 150amp Butters gas mig which runs on a standard 13amp socket and I have found it more than adequate for any of the welding on my Vitesse, understand than some cheaper welders struggle at lower settings.

Get yourself a very good quality reactive welding helmet and practice practice practice, also some very informative tube video's.

All the best for your restoration.

Paul.

I have a SIP 200 litre compressor, need it for sandblasting, but it runs any tool effortlessly. It doesn't run out of puff in the middle of blasting a lot of components, unlike a smaller one I used to have that constantly needed to refill. My welder was a SIP 130, now considered too small by the 'professionals' (despite being Practical Classics Best Buy in 1994!) so I reckon a 180 would do. 

A lot of the other tools I have were considered 'amateur' standard by the professional league but have lasted many years in my garage; you can overspend on garage tools that are designed for the everyday heavy use by the trade but never get that level of use at home. The best ones I have were either inherited or bought from charity / second-hand shops, ages old but solidly made.

For spraying HVLP buy the all-in-one hot air kit like the Apollo  - their Spraymate kit used to be about £100 and was perfectly adequate for car panels. Beware the cheaper electrical units that are only good for fence panels or spray tan. 

Most compressors are advertised with the higher air displacement figure, not the important one which is 'free air delivery' (FAD) which is usually less than the displacement figure. 

I got the SIP QT100/10 and have been happy with its performance so far priming my GT6. Yes it will cut in for more puff if you spray for a long period but on a car that size you can plan ahead and go section by section to make it manageable. The decibels are quite low as well so shouldn't be too annoying for those around you.

It's big enough for my garage. Not sure where I'd put a 200l tank otherwise.

1 hour ago, ahebron said:

The only advice I give on buying tools is if I need it once then I buy it.
Yes it is a horrid malady to have.

That's very good advice !

Even better advice is "If you think you might need it sometime in the next 50 years then buy it"

You'd be surprised how many times you then find the perfect tool in the tool box to perform the unexpected job.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

I have a 1 and 5/16" Britool socket, bought for the bolt that holds a Mini flywheel onto it's crank. Now 55 years old, used twice. Prized possession.

Doug

That struck a chord with me, I have an 18.5mm socket for Ford wheel nuts. Just used it yesterday, after an age on the shelf. (Actually couldn't get the rear wheels off the car at all, nuts stuck solid so that's a professional garage job coming up.)

12 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

I have a 1 and 5/16" Britool socket, bought for the bolt that holds a Mini flywheel onto it's crank. Now 55 years old, used twice. Prized possession.

Doug

Try a 44mm (near 1.75in) King Chrome socket for the Spit 1500 crankshaft bolt with a 3/4in sq drive, I had to cut it short to half depth to fit in between the radiator and front of the engine. I've only used it once BUT it's almost on permanent loan to the local Mercedes club as it fits their V8 crank nut too!

I have a selection of home made special Triumph tools spanners cut and welded to fit in tight places, ring spanners with a section removed to fit brake pipe unions, open enders filed thin to fit tight places eg J type solenoid , ring spanners with the outer surface ground down so the ring is very thin to tighten up in place the Sprint carby mounting bolts & on and on!

Spring compressor made from 2 cut to length 4in wide 3.8in thick bar stock cost <$10 all up including the long threaded bars, used it about 4 times on the Spit & Vitesse but its there in case!!!

There is perhaps a difference in setting up a workshop with tools you will use and find useful and   acquiring tools  you find pleasure in  owning, although you will never,  or hardly ever, use .

I fully understand  the latter . I have  a few in that category, and why not ?

But  In practical terms:

*1.Safe access equipment - axle stands. ( 4 legged- not tripod or folding type ) Trolley Jack.  C J hydraulic ramps -superb.

2. A solid bench and a sturdy vice.Find a good  second hand Record No.23 or similar ( there are loads around and they never wear out), rather than a cheap nasty  import that not be a pleasure to own or use and will break.

3. Mig welder .Not flux cored. Gas - large bootle,- Hobby  Weld cheaper than BoC.

4. Compressor -( but bear in mind  cordless tools getting better all the time ) .To Run off 13 amp socket.Belt drive - direct drive can be  very noisy.

( I bought an Italian made ABAC years ago( it would cost ++ now - but superb )

For both  3.and 4.resist the temptation to  buy cheap -You will just end up buying  twice

- A good piece of equipment keeps working  and will be a pleasure to use   long after its purchase price  has been forgotten. 

5. Electrical tools - DeWalt, if not Bosch.

* No 1. although rather boring this is important - as is having someone at least being aware -and within  ear shot, that you are going under a vehicle.It can literally be of vital importance.These days, consider having your mobile  within reach.

Unless there is a (pressing?) reason not to, I tend to put the wheels flat two high each side of the car if I have all the legs dangling. save from a crush potentially if all else fails.

Pete

4 hours ago, JohnD said:

Yes, mobile, in your breast pocket.  If your car falls on your leg, you can call for help.  If it falls on your chest, you won't need to.

John

Experienced and survived the fall on chest situation - long  before mobiles.

In 1975, entirely down to my inexcusable carelessness and momental stupidity,I had a GT6 with a rear wheel removed come down on my chest, face down with one arm underneath me.My young wife heard the wheezy gasping noises and managed to rescue me from the advancing asphyxia. 

Aches   and bruises briefly; a few nightmares  followed for a while, but still  a flash of reminiscence  each time going under a vehicle.

What a bloody  (lucky) fool.

Wow!  I hope you bought a lottery ticket that day, AND a diamond tiara for with the prize you must have won, because she's worth it!

More seriously, lorry workers will use a crib, a stack of timbers that lock together, under the vehicle.   An old pallet can be a useful source.

John

I decided to sort out the self adjusting rear brakes, which obviously weren't self adjusting. Jacked up the rear end, got the wheel off and went to the garage for an axel stand. Without warning the scissor jack toppled side ways and the GT6 fell into the bushes in my front garden. Next door helped me heave on the rear bumper and pull the GT6 back onto the drive. Then I put the wheel in the garage, locked the door and went to Halfords.  Bought a low profile trolly jack and never used a scissor jack again.

A parallel experience with those nasty spring compressors that clamp on the side of the spring. I had one ping off! Put them in the bin and hired a proper one, plates at ether end and long bolts to pull them together.

Doug

3 hours ago, JohnD said:

Wow!  I hope you bought a lottery ticket that day, AND a diamond tiara for with the prize you must have won, because she's worth it!

John

It is not unknown for my daughter ( born 3 years later) on occasion to remind me of the implications of the incident  before relating  a list of further examples  of her mother’s continuing role as my guardian angel…

Women…honestly.

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

I decided to sort out the self adjusting rear brakes, which obviously weren't self adjusting. Jacked up the rear end, got the wheel off and went to the garage for an axel stand. Without warning the scissor jack toppled side ways and the GT6 fell into the bushes in my front garden. Next door helped me heave on the rear bumper and pull the GT6 back onto the drive. Then I put the wheel in the garage, locked the door and went to Halfords.  Bought a low profile trolly jack and never used a scissor jack again.

A parallel experience with those nasty spring compressors that clamp on the side of the spring. I had one ping off! Put them in the bin and hired a proper one, plates at ether end and long bolts to pull them together.

Doug

My episode also involved a scissor  jack that just suddenly slid - it was on paving that may have tilted, perhaps.

It just happened so fast…

I recently purchased a 545Nm battery rattle gun. I have yet to use it but am keen to damage some nuts with it.
Brand is Nordic which is apparently made on the Makita line and appears to be NZ only.
https://www.topmaq.co.nz/18v-li-ion-brushless-impact-wrench-600nm-skin-only-poba2330
I convinced a mechanic mate to buy one and his gets used all the time.
I have the 12 volt 'dremel', ratchet spanner, drill and impact driver and use them all for work and car.

Edited by ahebron

I picked up an Aldi rattle gun recently, at under 30quid, it does actually push out a decent torque and is more that adequate for most of the infrequent use it does get. When I cannot to bothered to get out the Air gun and fire up the the compressor. I don`t expect it to compete with a "professional" gun obviously, but at that price band? All my "good" tools come from when I was using them daily in industry, different ball game. I notice too that "Makita" seem to be the go to tool(s) for the Trades at the moment. But a lot still using De-Walt and Bosch.

Pete