Going loco, up in Acapulancaster

JohnD

I've bought another car.  I know, crackers. But it's worse.   This is a Vitesse-based Spartan special:

20240722_194156.thumb.jpg.0dac9491333875c6a4e9c12f6abd68fb.jpg

Spartan1.thumb.jpg.288fb6530a2d0931b4146bc6bd1e8820.jpg

It had been "the property of a gentleman", who as such people do, kept it for years, doing nothing to it or for it.   When he died, friends cleared his house, and persuaded a friendly scrap dealer to store it on top of a cargo container.   And not just this, there were three other cars up there, two Mini-based 'Ramblers' and a Mini-based MG Midget look' alike.  Like my friend, I couldn't bear to see it crushed, so I've taken it on.  I'm NOT going to restore it myself, but hope either to find someone who will, or else break it for parts.

If anyone would like to take it on, it is known to the DVLA as on SORN, has a well preserved Triumph Commission plate on it,  the GRP  wings and the metal panelled sides are in good if weathered nick, but the woodwork needs restoration/replacement.   Underneath?  No idea as yet.

John

27 minutes ago, Stratton Jimmer said:

I see the Spartan badge on the front looking more akin to a Viking warrior than a Greek hoplite.

It looks, as far as I can recall, very much like one on Rover 100 P4 restoration video I was watching a few days ago

The Viking on the radiator surround IS from a Rover.  He was their badge for many years, along with a Viking longship

Remembering Rover, Part 1: The Rise | BalloonFish

I think the surround must have been a Spartan cars special product, as is the lovely 6" wide, cogged securing bolt for the spare wheel, marked "SPARTAN".

John

Love it. Wouldn't have any need for it myself (looking at yet ANOTHER project car, and haven't started the last two) but that must be eminently saveable as a good fun car, given the base model on which it's built. Woodwork should be simple enough if all else is re-usable.  

Had a further look.  The chassis is non-Triumph, galvanised, it has Triumph transmission, right back to Rotoflexes, as shown above with proper wire wheels, splined to the hubs!   The exhaust pipe has rotted, but it went to two nice stainless silencers.  Last taxed 2010 -the disc still on the windscreen!  The engine turns, on a spanner, jack it up and all the wheels turn.  This looks more and more to be eminently restorable!

John

• Like 1

Well John, you have done the hard work of looking the car over,made a mental list of jobs so you just need to start on job 1.

Really you know you want to.

I am sure you will get a lot of support from the forum and great words of knowledge. 😀

Graham

I have the race Vitesse, which needs regular attention, plus another project, the GT40, which can take ip any left over time, and those occupy all my covered garage space.  I do NOT fancy a restoration done in the open air!  Just being realistic.

But seriously, this car deserves restoration.   I've just had a back wheel off, and the splined hub and brake drum, because the brake shoes were seized to it.  Now it is pushable - I had to winch it OFF the trailer and put dollies under the wheels  to get somewhere it didn't block my drive.  Mobile now.

It's either the Bay, or 'Bangers & Cash'  to find a buyer.  I will let it go for very little to someone who will restore it!

John

John,I agree it needs restoring as it sound in a reasonable state. Would love to do it myself but again not enough time!

Is there a local college that does engineering who may be interested?

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

HA! And double HA! To the naysayers above who said I never would!  I have a buyer for the Spartan.

He's new to Triumphs and to the TSSC, but already has a "Frazer Nash-ish" special, and clearly knows his stuff.    I will encourage him to come here and tell us how he gets on with it.

So, Hallelujah!   Another soul car saved from the burning!

image.png.73bc549f438452c9f4eb96608e3de42d.png

John

• Like 2