New Water Pump - Triumph Vitesse MK2

Paul H

Hello.

Out of interest, now that you have removed the old water pump, have you or are you intending to replace the coolant pipe that runs under the manifolds & along side the engine block ??

If you have not, may I suggest replacing it with a s/s item including olive & new nut.

Once those pipes are disturbed it will more than likely leak.

Got mine from Canleys.

Well worth doing - in fact critical !! 

Just a thought.

Richard.    

If you can be sure the seals and bearings are higher quality than are being used in the new units, it would make sense. 

Or find genuine NOS ones, they do turn up. I have a Unipart spit 1500 one here I ought to sell...

I'll give you a call Clive. My water pump pulley is forward of the crank pulley by about 5mm. It is supposed to be correct for a 1500.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Hello.

Out of interest, now that you have removed the old water pump, have you or are you intending to replace the coolant pipe that runs under the manifolds & along side the engine block ??

If you have not, may I suggest replacing it with a s/s item including olive & new nut.

Once those pipes are disturbed it will more than likely leak.

Got mine from Canleys.

Well worth doing - in fact critical !! 

Just a thought.

Richard.    

Hi Richard - My manifold on my Vitesse Mk2 doesnt have the coolant pipe as you described - Not sure what it came off - The carbs are CDSE's 

post-1431-0-91732900-1460124576_thumb.jpg

Hello.

It is the horizontal pipe that connects to the water pump.

I have attached a couple of photos to show good,very ugly and new pipe in situ. Sometime back I wrote quite a lengthy thread about replacing it.

jpeg 135 shows the new s/s pipe in situ behind the manifold.

Will dig it out and repost on here if it is of assistance. 

Best wishes.

Richard.

post-818-0-08193300-1460140075_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-64845800-1460140105_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-27472400-1460140130_thumb.jpg

Yes, the bearings are available 

I read somewhere that if you have one of the original units it's better to get them rebuilt as they last a lot longer Can someone confirm?

Thx

Yes; the bearings are readily available today from various companies; if you remove the old ones you'll see the part number around the edge and you can cross-reference it with modern parts easily enough. The seal can sometimes be hard to find but there was a seller selling them on eBay a while ago. The internals are all brass, including the impeller and there is a grease nipple so they should in theory last a lot longer than repro items.

Shafts, high quality sealed bearings and ceramic seals to rebuild pumps to far better than they ever were new standard are available from bearing factors.

If you are fitting a new impeller, make sure you turn down the fins that go across the middle of the aftermarket ones. It causes turbulence and cavitation reducing efficiency.