Gt6 Oil Filter Assembly

Peter Truman

The GT6 Oil Filter bowl and hence filter appear shorter in depth/height than the Vitesse and 2000/2500 Saloon as the GT6/Spitfire chassis is the same at the front as the Vitesse/Herald why would this be. I assume that the Vitesse would fit and clear the chassis/ side engine shields.

Can anyone advise I'm curious and its of general interest only.

Regards

Grumpy Rabbit

Peter T

Peter.

I presume you have the seperate element and bowl ??

Unless happy with that set-up, how about considering the spin-on filter option; it's a better filter option with the benefit of anti-drain back which I'm confident that the separate element does not have unless such a mechanism is incorporated within the head assembly but unlikely.

Just a thought.

Richard.

Richard is correct, the oil drains back in the original GT6 oil filter set up. I put the spin on/off convertor on mine to get the benefit of modern canisters with anti-drain back. It's a crude mechanism and some canisters work better than others. There was a guy on the old web site who manufactured a tool to test canister efficiency. He lined up all the motor factors canisters on the counter and blew into his tool to find the best one. :lol: 

You're right that the GT6 and Vitesse filter bowls and filters are different sizes. I found out by buying GT6 filters for the bowl that I acquired from Pete Lewis (which I presume came from his Vitesse) - they were too small... So yes, the bowls are interchangeable. As to why they are different sizes, I've no idea!

I removed the spin on conversion from my GT6 - never managed to get the spin on filters to seat properly and clearance to the chassis rail made it a messier job than with the bowl type.

Gully

Thanks folks for the feedback Re the spin on filters I also had one fitted never looked right to get adequate clearance If I remember correctly it had to sit slightly uphill pointing forward to clear the blow off valve and other protrusions, so I thought it defeated the reflux action and drain back, so I too switched back to the paper elements.

I notice a lot of modern cars are going back to replaceable paper elements BUT they are soo soo small, you wouldn't dare leave the service too long

Still no logical response why the GT6 filter is not as high as the other 6 potters. I learnt a long time ago NOT to try and understand Triumph's  reasoning and  still after 50 years exclaim "Why would they do that":

I've had Triumphs since 1967, starting with a 66 Herald Conv JBA37D, which replaced a 61 Mk1 Frog Eye Sprite, OH what a breath off fresh air the Herald was. The Mk2 Vitesse came back to Oz with me in 1974 & its  still in the garage, but its got a 66 Spitfire (daughters) & 76 Sprint as mates

Regards

PeterT

(aka Grumpy Rabbit)

oil change capacities in the WSM are same for Vit and GT6 doent mean thats spot on, most changes in later life are generally cost driven , not just a smaller cartridge but on the line you might save a cup full on every engine fill ...its adds up to a lot of oil over the production run.

over the years all sorts of these idea abound like only fill to the minimum  level  then the dealer foots the top up before delivery and makes a warranty claim.  then costs  comes from  the warranty  bucket,  funded from the sales revenue not the production costs .

warranty costs are born in the purchase price ...see who wins .....if you get the idea ,there's a lot of politics in vehicle sales 

all funded by the customer one way or another 

Pete

I notice a lot of modern cars are going back to replaceable paper elements BUT they are soo soo small, you wouldn't dare leave the service too long

I'm fighting the temptation to reply to some of the other answers but once bitten... HOWEVER the wife's Freelander has a paper filter, incredibly small for the size of the engine, plus almost impossible to get at. The engine is a Peugeot-designed block never intended by them to be shoehorned into the Freelander, but adapted by Landrover meaning that the oil filter is squashed between the block and the radiator. It's only accessible from below and I can't even get my hand up there. You have to buy a 27mm swivel head spanner to get the casing off then pull the element out. Last time I did it, the element was almost solid with gunge. 

My daughters Holden Commodore/Omega 3.9lt V6 has an incredibly small paper element easy to get at the top of the engine adjacent to and level with the V6 rocker cover, its mounted in a beautifully made alloy holder with a screw top, BUT size wise it's about the size of a lawn mower air filter approx. 100mm long and 45mm dia.

The issue is getting the air flow deflector off the sump to remove the sump plug, the guard is around 600mm sq slotted in at the front then fixed with around 6no. 13mm bolts that fix into the body and protrude around 25mm past the captive type nut WHY!! whatever happened to good engineering of around 2 threads protruding, good job were not in Europe where they would RUST, Bl**dy fast assembly air guns. The sump guard is a bugger to remove and replace. The irony is the daughter helped to design the car, but her excuse is not that bit the driveline!!

• 2 weeks later...

one y wife's rover broke dow

Modern cars are not designed to be fixed by their owners, they are deliberately designed NOT to be fixed by their owners. Dealership support, that's where the profit is!

When my wife's Rover broke down a few years ago her uncle, not knowing any better, towed her to a local dealership. Once I heard, I removed it immediately. It was there for two hours and the dealership, without even looking at it, charged me almost £400. Admin costs and use of their parking, apparently.

• 8 months later...